Your Fave is Problematic

So, yes, the podcast is called Switched on Pop. Which I know some people will dismiss outright because of the word "pop". But let me just give an example of why this podcast is really intelligent and worth your time.

Ever heard of the Tristan chord? I hadn't either until I listened to the particular episode I shared. The guys discuss it and play it for you on the episode. It has its own Wiki page. A chord has its own Wiki page. That's just wild to me.

Is "pop" a dirty word? Hmmm...then get me some soap!

Also, have I heard of the Tristan chord?!!! Don't wanna brag, but I invented it! It's when your bro Tristan totally d-bags on a rager and you play a crunchy power chord while ironically chanting their name. The wikipedia page says as much (side note....do not check the wiki page for about 10 minutes - or till as long as it takes me to figure out how to edit a wiki page)

So, yes, the podcast is called Switched on Pop. Which I know some people will dismiss outright because of the word "pop". But let me just give an example of why this podcast is really intelligent and worth your time.

Ever heard of the Tristan chord? I hadn't either until I listened to the particular episode I shared. The guys discuss it and play it for you on the episode. It has its own Wiki page. A chord has its own Wiki page. That's just wild to me.

I had heard of it but never knew what it meant. Now that I’ve heard it’s instantly recognisable as a motif and it’s pretty damn effective one atmospherically!

Is "pop" a dirty word? Hmmm...then get me some soap!

Also, have I heard of the Tristan chord?!!! Don't wanna brag, but I invented it! It's when your bro Tristan totally d-bags on a rager and you play a crunchy power chord while ironically chanting their name. The wikipedia page says as much (side note....do not check the wiki page for about 10 minutes - or till as long as it takes me to figure out how to edit a wiki page)

Yes, there is definitely a contingent of people here and at the old place who won't even consider listening to anything remotely close to pop. It is dismissed as a silly or a talentless genre. :(

Yes, there is definitely a contingent of people here and at the old place who won't even consider listening to anything remotely close to pop. It is dismissed as a silly or a talentless genre. :(

It’s sad really. I think of anything catchy and hook ladden that historically would have challenged the charts as pop.

But even treating it in the modern concept as it’s own thing to dismiss a whole genre, much of it with creative and groundbreaking artists inhabiting it, just because of the manufactured shit that dominated the airways, particularly in the late 90s, is really sad 😟

Lip-synching, while around since forever, did no favors to pop during the late 90's boy band craze through the 00's. That, coupled with an overproduced sound and artists that just appeared to be a pretty face + didn't write their own lyrics, and you've got a recipe for disaster to the musical purists. Then, certain hipster publications hellbent on bashing it all (or worse, making the ideas of pop and celebrity synonymous). So if you hate Kim K. then you surely must hate Taylor Swift, etc.

It's really not hard to see why people think that way, it's just difficult to be the one that has to exert so much effort to undo years of negative perception. People are coming around to the idea of what pop means to them though, just gotta give it some time. THE BEATLES ARE POP. Thank you for coming to my Pop Talk.

So this seems the most relevant place to drop this. I listened to this older episode of the Switched on Pop podcast last night. It's my favorite podcast - it breaks down pop music. But it really goes deep - chord progressions, lyrical content and how it matches up with the music, influences, comparisons to older music and sometimes even classical music, history, etc. It's a great podcast.

Anyway, the one I listened to is from 2016 and it is about bad people making good music. Kinda like this thread. The artists they discuss are R. Kelly, Phil Specter and Wagner. With mentions of other artists too. I think they really nail what we are all struggling with in this thread. I also found it interesting knowing what we know now in 2019 about R. Kelly to hear their take from 2016. I would love them to do a follow up on this episode.

I listen to this podcast on a occasion. It’s great. Haven’t heard this podcast though.

@Teeeee @Joe Mac

a little distraction from the heavier content of this thread. I had a brief stint in studio work. I worked on a teen girl group once and it was interesting to see. It definitely wasn’t my type of music, but after witnessing the song writing process it made me appreciate howmuch talent it takes to make a simple pop song.

Also Steven Tyler came in to record something quick. Another musician I’m not really into, but seeing how he just came in and nailed it so easily changed the way I look at people in pop music. Consumers don’t really get to see substandard music so we have the belief that talent it’s so easy and common place. It’s not and it takes a lot of work.

@Teeeee @Joe Mac

a little distraction from the heavier content of this thread. I had a brief stint in studio work. I worked on a teen girl group once and it was interesting to see. It definitely wasn’t my type of music, but after witnessing the song writing process it made me appreciate howmuch talent it takes to make a simple pop song.

Also Steven Tyler came in to record something quick. Another musician I’m not really into, but seeing how he just came in and nailed it so easily changed the way I look at people in pop music. Consumers don’t really get to see substandard music so we have the belief that talent it’s so easy and common place. It’s not and it takes a lot of work.
Thank you! How many people can write a song that ear worms its way into nearly anyone that hears it? Take "I Want It That Way" or "Call Me Maybe". There are people that don't even like those songs that still know a great portion of the words. That's talent.

Last edited:
The complete tosspot that is Morrissey is not only selling his own signed vinyl for $200 each at his gigs......but hes also selling other musicians albums that hes signed for $300 each......I cannot fathom what goes on in this guys head:

M.PNG

The complete tosspot that is Morrissey is not only selling his own signed vinyl for $200 each at his gigs......but hes also selling other musicians albums that hes signed for $300 each......I cannot fathom what goes on in this guys head:

View attachment 20913
Yes I'll take the $300 signed print WITH BINDER CLIPS CRUNCHING THE COVER PLEAZZZZZ!!!

Last night Louis CK sent a blast to the email list he hasn't sent anything to since his accusers came forward. I can't think of anything more entitled and less indicative of personal growth than not bothering to start a new email list.

Selling some old records and came upon an old Ryan Adams 45 I forgot I had. Figured I’d give it a listen to see how I felt about hearing his voice for the first time since his NYT report came out. It’s a nostalgic song for me but I couldn’t hear his voice without thinking of all the women he hurt, all the careers he damaged, all the pain he caused. And then he broke into this weird, kinda creepy breakdown at the end of the song where it got more vulgar and... visceral(?) and I just immediately turned it off and threw it in the sell pile.

It’s a shame that he couldn’t be less of a jerk.

TI is a fucking clown. Obviously hugely influential rapper, but his misogyny is well documented in his work and years of public comments. This is a new low in that it's caused harm on another human. Wouldn't be surprised if we find out more about Tip in the coming weeks...

It's weird. And creepy. I heard about it a few times on the radio yesterday and people were just baffled.

Back