What's Spinning

@Turbo's Recommended 2020 Releases

I've been discovering a lot of great new music this year. These are 2020 releases that I've been spinning a lot.

#1 The Buttertones "Jazz Hound"
#2 Baxter Dury "The Night Chancers"
#3 Jessie Ware "What's Your Pleasure?"
#4 Yves Tumor "Heaven To A Tortured Mind"
#5 Sammy Brue "Crash Test Kid"
#6 Sorry "925"
#7 Destroyer "Have We Met?"
#8 Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes "What Kinda Music"
#9 Automagik "Fluorescent Nights"
#10 Caribou "Suddenly"
#11 Caroline Rose "Superstar"
#12 Monophonics "It's Only Us"
#13 Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever "Sideways To New Italy"
#14 The Strokes "The New Abnormal"
#15 Car Seat Headrest "Making A Door Less Open"

#16 Georgia "Seeking Thrills"
2020 has been a good year for the type of synthpop I enjoy, with Jessie Ware, Automagik, The Weeknd, Chromatics and Dua Lipa, among others. Georgia's "Seeking Thrills" is another one of these. There are some definite classic late 80s - early 90's Chicago and Detroit influences. The album is front loaded with the dancefloor tracks while the the mood gets a bit more laid back in back half. I think fans of Robyn should give this a try. Standouts for me are "Never Let You Go", "About Work The Dancefloor", "Mellow", Started Out" and "Feel It".

View attachment 58773

This came out in January and I kind of thought I would have forgotten it by now, but I keep listening to it. One of my favorite album covers of the year as well.

On this day in 1968, Gram Parsons left The Byrds on the eve of their South African tour because he refused to play to segregated audiences.

Next stop - Flying Burrito Bros.

The sound on this is rough but it's so good...

Also, unbekownst to many, the world got 'Wild Horses' here first,,,

The Flying Burrito Bros - Burrito Deluxe

20191128_023137.jpg

Pete Johnson / Earl Hines / Teddy Bunn - Blue Note Sessions (Mosaic, 1982 Limited Mono Pressing)

A bit of an oddity for me as I tend not to go this far back when listening to jazz (late 30's early 40's) but I managed to stumble across this cheap copy and when I saw it was on Mosaic I knew it would be good, and it really is!!

IMG_0378.JPG

My collection #743-744

Otis Redding - Pain In My Heart
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

An almighty pairing - the start in this play-through of my favourite soul singer, and one of Bob's greatest (I'd probably put it only behind Blood on the Tracks). EDIT - holy mackerel, this mono AAA Otis Redding sounds amazing...

20200729_133142.jpg

20200729_133047.jpg

Last edited:
Back