What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

Amazon product ASIN B07JY66RZ6
Did you end up grabbing the 99 Classics?
Yes! I picked the drops one was because I liked the look of it!
I am honestly looking at one of those wig heads to have it sit on.
I look at alot of the stands and some say it falls over or it's too small.
I need to know the overall size to pick!

Last edited:
Yes! I picked the drops one was because I liked the look of it!
I am honestly looking at one of those wig heads to have it sit on.
I look at alot of the stands and some say it falls over or it's too small.
I need to know the overall size to pick!
Very nice: :)

I have this one, it was cheap and worked for my Grados, they're fine for the Meze as well, just not crazy about the plastic.
Amazon product ASIN B01DJ8B0NK
Meze-99-Classic-w.Brainwavz.jpg

I use a version of this one and like it:

Amazon product ASIN B08C4VSZJQ
As seen here:
2Z7REJs.jpg

I have been on the hunt for new headphones.
Obviously $1,000 ones don't make sense for my setup so I wanted to come on here!

What I am Rocking:

Turntable: Uturn Basic
Cartridge: Grado Green
Pre-Amp: U-Turn Audio - Pluto Phono Preamp
Amp: Yamaha RS-202

I was looking at the beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80.

I worry about cord length being too short as I want to sit on a chair and ottoman that ill put me about 6 feet away from the amp.

I don't want to spend say $600 as the most I have spent on the equipment is $125 I don't think that makes a lick of sense.
Hey,
I used to own the DT 770 Pro 80s. I believe it was the 32 ohm version. They are extremely comfortable headphones and sound excellent, but they are very bass forward, which may fatigue your ears overtime. I know it did for me.

I would recommend looking into V-Moda headphones. I have an older pair of closed-back V-Modas, wanna say the Crossfades M-100, I use at my office desk and I really like them. Their build quality is excellent, they have removable single-sided headphone cable, nice well-balanced sound, and some of them come with hardshell cases and external mics (if you use with your phone). The Crossfades are smaller and sit on top of your ears, but they have larger models that go over your ears as well. Look around, V-Moda definitely has some in your budget.

Then again, if you can find the DT770s for $125, that's a great price. Just be prepared to potentially use your EQ to drop the bass a bit.

As far as cable length, Grado makes an excellent extension cable for headphones. I own and use this one.

Hey,
I used to own the DT 770 Pro 80s. I believe it was the 32 ohm version. They are extremely comfortable headphones and sound excellent, but they are very bass forward, which may fatigue your ears overtime. I know it did for me.

I would recommend looking into V-Moda headphones. I have an older pair of closed-back V-Modas, wanna say the Crossfades M-100, I use at my office desk and I really like them. Their build quality is excellent, they have removable single-sided headphone cable, nice well-balanced sound, and some of them come with hardshell cases and external mics (if you use with your phone). The Crossfades are smaller and sit on top of your ears, but they have larger models that go over your ears as well. Look around, V-Moda definitely has some in your budget.

Then again, if you can find the DT770s for $125, that's a great price. Just be prepared to potentially use your EQ to drop the bass a bit.

As far as cable length, Grado makes an excellent extension cable for headphones. I own and use this one.

I have the Beyerdyanmic DT770s, 80 ohms right now. They sound great, particularly when driven by a headphone amp/DAC. I use mine for mostly listening to my phone for travel or in bed. I'd say the majority of music I listen to with them is Grateful Dead and I can definitely pick Phil Lesh out on most well recorded SBDs, so they don't suffer for bass.

If your looking for a nice extension cable, I have this one from Hosa, well constructed, great quality. They have both 1/4 and 3.5.

I am still "breaking in" my headphones, but MY GOODNESS everything I am listening to has new definition! Plus at least to me the pads on my Meze 99 are comfy!
I was just going to post that these 99 Classics are wonderful, they've opened up nicely and I think the replacement pads were a definite win. I actually like these so much I'm wondering if I should for go looking for a new pair of ear buds and get maybe the Noir's for travel/walking? For the same price they seem like a better buy than the Neo's? Anyone?

I was just going to post that these 99 Classics are wonderful, they've opened up nicely and I think the replacement pads were a definite win. I actually like these so much I'm wondering if I should for go looking for a new pair of ear buds and get maybe the Noir's for travel/walking? For the same price they seem like a better buy than the Neo's? Anyone?
The Noirs are identical to the Classics except finish and cable selection.

The Noirs are identical to the Classics except finish and cable selection.
I have both the 99 Classics and the 99 Noir. I have the former for home and latter for work (and perhaps for travel). Still love both!

You can get the long cable for the 99 Noirs if you need it for $20 (perhaps for a bit less on eBay?).

The 99 Neo are the same price as the 99 Noir but have ABS cup construction, if I understand correctly. Downgrade.

tbh i was having issues with the grados and my vinyl because they were too easy to drive on the amp... AND because they were too trebelly.. its usually fine for digital audio but for vinyl it was just too much... so i might keep the 58X i have or even upgrade to the 6XX (and who knows.. maybe i might just choose to have a tube amp in the future to run them)

looks like i have a use for both those heaphones

If your looking for a nice extension cable, I have this one from Hosa, well constructed, great quality. They have both 1/4 and 3.5.
Any idea if these would work with Sennheiser HD6XX? I need to get an extension cord so I can finally plug in my headphones and listen on the couch?

Back