What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

Hello everyone!

I’m looking for opinions on DT 770s. With not a huge amount of budget at the moment, I am looking for headphones that are good for:

1) Use with my turntable (just got a Loxjie p20 for my setup so I can finally have a nice headphone set up)

2) use for mixing (i’m a video editor and my current headphones just blew up on me)

Will these be a good headphone for me?

Also are the 990s something I should consider too?
If mixing, wouldn’t you want a more flat response? I would look to the 880 model if you can swing the slight price increase. I really liked them when I had them! I’m sure the 770 is great too though!

My headphone amp has largely been in limbo for several months as I removed it from my main system because it never saw use there, and I've been running my 4xx off of my laptop for convenience in my office during the work day.

I've been thinking about getting a DAC so I could get my full use of my headphones again, and my wife was kind enough to make that happen for Christmas.

I present to you, the Schiit Head stack: Schiit Modius + Arcam rHead. Connected via Zu Mission XLR cables.
20201227_190421.jpg

I responded with the above in the What's your 2021 "Gear" resolution? thread. But, being without headphones since the beginning, I wanted to obtain a pair for nighttime listening. Open to recommendations.

Budget is $250-350. Partaking in "No Buy January" allows the budget to have some give.

I responded with the above in the What's your 2021 "Gear" resolution? thread. But, being without headphones since the beginning, I wanted to obtain a pair for nighttime listening. Open to recommendations.

Budget is $250-350. Partaking in "No Buy January" allows the budget to have some give.
What sort of character are you looking for? I find my Mezes light, comfortable, and posh-sounding. Lush and slightly base-forward, but fun and very enjoyable. And they look great.

Closed back, open back, weird/wireless, do you have an amp already?

Sorry, should've been more descriptive.

What sort of character are you looking for? I find my Mezes light, comfortable, and posh-sounding. Lush and slightly base-forward, but fun and very enjoyable. And they look great.
Meze 99 Classics? I do like low-end favored music (ambient, electronic, pop), and something closed backed, as they will not be used for gaming. I'm not too much of a "critical listener," if that makes sense.
Closed back, open back, weird/wireless, do you have an amp already?
Closed back, wired, and already have receiver (Onkyo HT-R430).

Last edited:
Sorry, should've been more descriptive.

Meze 99 Classics? I do like low-end favored music (ambient, electronic, pop), and something closed backed, as they will not be used for gaming. I'm not too much of a "critical listener," if that makes sense.

Closed back, wired, and already have receiver (Onkyo RT-230).
Yeah, the 99 Classics (or 99 Noirs on drop.com - same headphones, fewer extras, $100 cheaper).

I think you’d dig them for those genres.

Yeah, the 99 Classics (or 99 Noirs on drop.com - same headphones, fewer extras, $100 cheaper).

I think you’d dig them for those genres.

After thinking and looking around for a few hours, I just puchased the Meze 99 Classics (w/silver) on eBay. Got them for 10% off, so slightly under $280.
Should be here in ~10 days.

getting myself some grados in about a week or two. my big question is should i go with the 80s or the 225s, is there much of an improvement besides the different pads

Reactions: Tyr
getting myself some grados in about a week or two. my big question is should i go with the 80s or the 225s, is there much of an improvement besides the different pads
I've not heard the 80s, but I have the 225s. They sound incredible. So transparent with tons of air and space. That said you will never see a review saying they are very comfortable. Be warned that if you plan on wearing them hours a day, days a week, you might want to investigate aftermarket ear pads that might be a bit cushier. Grado seems to have spent 95% of the cost on the transducers and the remainder on the ear cups and headband parts.

I've not heard the 80s, but I have the 225s. They sound incredible. So transparent with tons of air and space. That said you will never see a review saying they are very comfortable. Be warned that if you plan on wearing them hours a day, days a week, you might want to investigate aftermarket ear pads that might be a bit cushier. Grado seems to have spent 95% of the cost on the transducers and the remainder on the ear cups and headband parts.
I think I'll go with the 80s and a pad swap then

Though apparently the 80s have a more comfortable pad to people

Last edited:
Yes. Although I work an odd work schedule, I was able to get around to trying a few albums in the last few days, with Wednesday set aside just for examining + wearing for a lengthy period of time.

The package presentation is quite excellent: sleek box with magnetic design for open/close, and memory foam lining insides. Hard case is durable, with two different size Kevlar cables for convenience. No dedicated left/right ear is, for my preference, very much appreciated (with corresponding left/right splitter cable). Not to mention, the headphones look fantastic, too.

Comfort
Undoubtedly the most comfort I've experienced with a pair of headphones, especially for several hours of continuous wear. Easily adjustable, and soft pads. Despite being lightweight, the wood construction feels durable, and I'm sure longevity won't be a problem here.

Sound
As you said, @kvetcha, they are very bass forward. The driver used in the electronics must be of extremely high quality; they are efficient as hell. For >80% of my music library at night, this translates well. Ambient music sounds deeper and separation is very pronounced, electronic music pounds and is extra punchy/fun; same for pop music. It is, as you commented earlier, a very fun pair of headphones. I would not recommend these for guitar-driven music (indie rock, most forms of metal, punk, etc.), as it seems that guitar elements get slightly drowned out.

Given that the receiver I use is not of remarkable quality, it would be my next upgrade step...won't be until mid-year, though. Wondering how the SQ will jump accordingly. Just know that I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. Also got the headphone stand that @dansomeone mentioned earlier from Monoprice (which arrived same day as the Mezes) and it serves its purpose well.

16102884524038283238564490004519.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. Although I work an odd work schedule, I was able to get around to trying a few albums in the last few days, with Wednesday set aside just for examining + wearing for a lengthy period of time.

The package presentation is quite excellent: sleek box with magnetic design for open/close, and memory foam lining insides. Hard case is durable, with two different size Kevlar cables for convenience. No dedicated left/right ear is, for my preference, very much appreciated (with corresponding left/right splitter cable). Not to mention, the headphones look fantastic, too.

Comfort
Undoubtedly the most comfort I've experienced with a pair of headphones, especially for several hours of continuous wear. Easily adjustable, and soft pads. Despite being lightweight, the wood construction feels durable, and I'm sure longevity won't be a problem here.

Sound
As you said, @kvetcha, they are very bass forward. The driver used in the electronics must be of extremely high quality; they are efficient as hell. For >80% of my music library at night, this translates well. Ambient music sounds deeper and separation is very pronounced, electronic music pounds and is extra punchy/fun; same for pop music. It is, as you commented earlier, a very fun pair of headphones. I would not recommend these for guitar-driven music (indie rock, most forms of metal, punk, etc.), as it seems that guitar elements get slightly drowned out.

Given that the receiver I use is not of remarkable quality, it would be my next upgrade step...won't be until mid-year, though. Wondering how the SQ will jump accordingly. Just know that I am 100% satisfied with my purchase. Also got the headphone stand that @dansomeone mentioned earlier from Monoprice (which arrived same day as the Mezes) and it serves its purpose well.

View attachment 83211
I will say that they offer a slightly-less cushy set of ear pads on their website (that are the defaults for the 99 Noir) that do tone down the bass bloom a bit. I personally preferred the default pads, but it might be worth a look.

I’ve got a pair I can send you, actually.

I've had the Meze Classics for just under 2 weeks and well...I love 'em. They have been great at work, too. Hope these'll be keepers for years.

I will say that they offer a slightly-less cushy set of ear pads on their website (that are the defaults for the 99 Noir) that do tone down the bass bloom a bit. I personally preferred the default pads, but it might be worth a look.

I’ve got a pair I can send you, actually.
Sorry for taking over a week to respond. I appreciate the offer, but you should keep 'em. I'm plenty happy with the default fitting.

I've had the Meze Classics for just under 2 weeks and well...I love 'em. They have been great at work, too. Hope these'll be keepers for years.

Sorry for taking over a week to respond. I appreciate the offer, but you should keep 'em. I'm plenty happy with the default fitting.
Well, let me know if you change your mind! I'm not using them.

I'm happy you're happy.

my review of these grado SR 80e's

pros:
very nice timbre to things, feels very nice (especially useful when my dac has a bass boost that makes the not at all bad bass on them have a lot more boom and power)
SUPER easy to drive (i have the hip dac on LOW gain and at like 10 o clock so either the hip dac would be too powerful for say an IEM or the grados require super low power)
actually dont feel cheap
not bad in the clamp department, feels perfectly good there, stable but not breaking you
cons:
switch the pads (buy L pads or geekrias donut hole pads... the S cushions just feel off and not really comforting)
the comfort isn't as bad as the horror stories, i can wear it for over 2 or 3 hours.... but the pads DO get warm on your ears though that isn't as much an issue for me.. the real issue is that the headband has no comfort and there is a notable line of metal RIGHT where my head fits that is frustrating
too loud and this thing will be SUPER sibilant

definitely like what i got and probably will love them even more with time or modifications or fixing the headband with an aftermarket one (any recommendations that fit the grado leather?)

Back