What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

I'm not a headphone guy, too restrictive, hearing damage threats, etc. I usualy only use my SR-60 with my phone when travelling or exercising, but recently plugged them into a my vintage McIntosh receiver for shits and giggle and was AMAZED how well they did. Always have thought about going up to 80's and or trying the different ear pads (open Grado, Sennheiser, etc) out too. I got these in Germany in 2004 for my ipod on one of the AF PX's.

220210424_122823.jpg

Last edited:
Grado has updated their Prestige Series headphones, now the X Series, featuring "enhanced speakers, an advanced cable design and a more comfortable headband across its five models."
Looks like a slight price increase as well if not mistaken (ie SR-60X $99 now). But those are some nice updates (speakers, cables, headband).

Last edited:
For those of you with Sennheiser HD 6XX: I found the stock 6 foot cable to be too short when going from my receiver to my listening chair. I picked up the below from Amazon, which is almost 10 feet long. Bonus (for me), there is no adapter to go from 1/4 to 1/8 which I never used or cared for. I don't think this changed the sound to my ears, but if you need a bit more reach this is a good solution.

Amazon product ASIN B0028PGXRE

The Meze 99 classics or neo are quite tempting. @AnthonyI and @Rip_City , are you still happy with yours ?
Still love mine. They’re far from neutral but they’re just…enjoyable. I use them for vinyl, digital, and night time movie listening.

They also look great just sitting around if that’s something that matters.

I still use mine for work and home listening.

i havent made up my mind yet. i could get the Neo second hand at 110€ or the Classic at 270 € (open box deal). still reading up on the differences. i got the money for either but would prefer 2nd hand instead of buying something new.

nvm, bought the classics, that was kinda quick.

Last edited:
i havent made up my mind yet. i could get the Neo second hand at 110€ or the Classic at 270 € (open box deal). still reading up on the differences. i got the money for either but would prefer 2nd hand instead of buying something new.

nvm, bought the classics, that was kinda quick.
I hope you like them!

Sold off some extra equipment to help finance the purchase of a set of Grado GS3000e's.. my new room set up, and the desire to be able to better listen to music at a slightly higher volume during the day, has made me look back to the headphone route. I was initially looking at the 800s's and Focal MG Clears, but the Grado's kept calling me. I have heard the 2000's and really loved them, hoping that the 3000's will be another step forward.

Anyone else have a pair?

Sold off some extra equipment to help finance the purchase of a set of Grado GS3000e's.. my new room set up, and the desire to be able to better listen to music at a slightly higher volume during the day, has made me look back to the headphone route. I was initially looking at the 800s's and Focal MG Clears, but the Grado's kept calling me. I have heard the 2000's and really loved them, hoping that the 3000's will be another step forward.

Anyone else have a pair?
I do. They're very nice, but I don't have a whole lot to compare them to. They edged out my Sennheiser HD800s, mostly because they don't fall off my head!

I do. They're very nice, but I don't have a whole lot to compare them to. They edged out my Sennheiser HD800s, mostly because they don't fall off my head!
I saw after going back and reading the thread that you owned a pair! Thanks for your response!! I plan on running through my Luxman integrated to start with.. they seem to be an easy load so see no real issue but may move to a headphone amp eventually if need be.

Grado has an option to add a balanced plug to their headphones. If you order that, they'll cut the cord about a foot from the 1/4 inch plug and install XLR plugs on both pieces, turning the 1/4" into a dongle.
I like the flexibility this gives me, but the XLR plugs are bulky and heavy. I'll let you decide for yourself if this is something you want.

As for them being easy to drive, they've sounded great on everything I've plugged them into, including my laptop.

Last edited:
Appreciate the info! I kept the standard plug to start with. I assume if I ever had to switch it I could work with them or my dealer but no need right now.

Out for delivery. Magic words…. Lol
Well that sucked.. got them, opened them, only L ear works... for $1800 you'd think a little QC would be done. Tried on multiple sources..
Brutal.

*Edit.. Right ear innards are rolling around.. the actual speaker part appears to be disconnected.. not sure if I should take apart or just send back...

Back