What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

Been looking at a second set of headphones for the vinyl rig, I really like the look and comments you've all left on the Meze 99 Classics, the other I've parked is the SENNHEISER HD 6XX, they seem to be in every conversation. Any thoughts between the 2 or other $300ish options..........I did scroll back somewhat, so forgive the repetitive nature of the question ;)

Been looking at a second set of headphones for the vinyl rig, I really like the look and comments you've all left on the Meze 99 Classics, the other I've parked is the SENNHEISER HD 6XX, they seem to be in every conversation. Any thoughts between the 2 or other $300ish options..........I did scroll back somewhat, so forgive the repetitive nature of the question ;)
Depends on the sound you're looking for. I love the Mezes but they are not a neutral headset.

Looking for a natural sound........of course this might not be possible in my price range, lol
Hi @AnthonyI,

I find the Sennheisers warm, yet with enough detail to make this my preferred headphones in my office (they're hooked up to a Darkvoice 336SE w/NOS Tung-Sol & RCA tubes. When I first listen to them, I was really surprised at the texture and air they presented, but also surprised at the mids and bass (I'd read some reviews saying the bass was weak). This setup has me lusting after tubes for my main setup.

I think it'll be hard to find something as good for $220 if you're not looking for something super detailed.

Hope this helps!
Thomas

Anyone have the new Grado wireless ear buds? I have a pair of Bang and Olufsen Beoplay E8 3rd gen and they're not anything special for me. I don't have an iphone so air pods are out.

I have been on the hunt for new headphones.
Obviously $1,000 ones don't make sense for my setup so I wanted to come on here!

What I am Rocking:

Turntable: Uturn Basic
Cartridge: Grado Green
Pre-Amp: U-Turn Audio - Pluto Phono Preamp
Amp: Yamaha RS-202

I was looking at the beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80.

I worry about cord length being too short as I want to sit on a chair and ottoman that ill put me about 6 feet away from the amp.

I don't want to spend say $600 as the most I have spent on the equipment is $125 I don't think that makes a lick of sense.

Enjoying the Meze 99 Classics with Brainwavz pads :)

View attachment 92459
Always. ❤️

To @Piratenovelist, I might recommend the Meze 99 Noir instead. They are practically the same pair of headphones, with different wood finish for the cups and a few less extras. They are available for $200 on drop.com ($190 with coupon for first time customer). I have a pair of both Noir (work listening) and Classics (home listening).

Always. ❤️

To @Piratenovelist, I might recommend the Meze 99 Noir instead. They are practically the same pair of headphones, with different wood finish for the cups and a few less extras. They are available for $200 on drop.com ($190 with coupon for first time customer). I have a pair of both Noir (work listening) and Classics (home listening).
these looks right around my style too.... may have to look into these!
How does it handle mids and highs? I hear it rolls off some of them is that dependent on the amp?
Have you heard any Hiss with yours?

Last edited:
How does it handle mids and highs? I hear it rolls off some of them is that dependent on the amp?
Thanks for asking. I should also mention as @kvetcha had told me (you can thank him for talking me into this line of headphones), both are not neutral pairs; prominent emphasis on bass and low end. With my music taste however (ambient, electronic, pop), this is a preferable trait.

Have you heard any Hiss with yours?
Not that I am aware of.

Thanks for asking. I should also mention as @kvetcha had told me (you can thank him for talking me into this line of headphones), both are not neutral pairs; prominent emphasis on bass and low end. With my music taste however (ambient, electronic, pop), this is a preferable trait.

Not that I am aware of.
I’m a fan of the bottom end on basically anything I listen to for the most part. I’m into a lot of different genres, but Rock/Metal is my usual comfort zone with some pop sprinkled in.

I need to get an Admin to move this, I posted it in the wrong thread, my "opinion' on the Meze.

I like the sound, and agree the source and or amp will effect that sound as well. I've found that an inexpensive, yet very comfortable set of Brainwavz pads really helps curb the bass to a perfect level.

Demo - $170

Demo - $270

Back