What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

I started this thread because I've recently realized that I need to have a headphone setup to supplement my main setup.

Here's the deal.. I LOVE my Forte's.. like LOVE. Because of that, I listen to them all the time. And as the day goes on I tend to want to creep the volume up little by little. By the end of a session I'm driving everyone crazy.

So I decided to grab a pair of Dan Clark Audio Aeon Flow Opens and a Schiit Jotunheim amp. I did not get any of the modules because the DAC in my Vega kills.

The Jotenheim arrives Saturday.. If I'm being honest, I've been listening to the Aeon Flows plugged directly into the Vega G1 and after them running for 3 straight days, they sound really good. I'm starting to wonder if the Jotenheim will make a positive difference.. looking forward to finding out. 15 day return policy and for $400 it was worth it just to see what all the Schiit talk is about.

Anyone else use a Jotunheim or the Flows?

I've got a Schiit Magni 3 and Sennheiser HD 6XX's. I really like the combo, but it's been a little while since I've used them because my wife has enjoyed spinning with me. I'm actually thinking that the ideal state for me would be to have a second table in my office where I can spin during the day when I work from home.

Currently headphone-less. I had a pair of ATH-M30s I bought in university that finally died last year after 11 years. I use my girlfriend's Sony WH-1000XM3s at work and on the run that sound and work fantastic, but I would like a pair of wired phones for late-night listening again. I'll probably bite on M50s since there seems to be a good consensus around them.

Currently headphone-less. I had a pair of ATH-M30s I bought in university that finally died last year after 11 years. I use my girlfriend's Sony WH-1000XM3s at work and on the run that sound and work fantastic, but I would like a pair of wired phones for late-night listening again. I'll probably bite on M50s since there seems to be a good consensus around them.
I use the WH-1000XM3's wired at home. Work really well.

I've got some Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 headphones that I use for everyday listening but rarely plug them into my amp for vinyl listening.

I love them, mainly because I got a great deal, they are closed and over the ear, super comfortable, and they just have a great sound and look to them.

I've got the Hifiman 4XX paired with an Arcam rHead amp. It doesn't get lot of use in my house, but it's nice to have for when I have guest or just want to mix things up.

Curious to hear how it goes with Jotunheim @Slimwhit33!

Should arrive tomorrow so I'll put some thoughts out here over the weekend..

I see a lot of people love the Hifiman headphones!

I've got some Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H6 headphones that I use for everyday listening but rarely plug them into my amp for vinyl listening.

I love them, mainly because I got a great deal, they are closed and over the ear, super comfortable, and they just have a great sound and look to them.

I love the looks of the B&O H6!

I've been enjoying my Grado 3000e. They have a great sound at any volume level, which is a good thing since I listen to a lot of classical. That stuff needs a lot more dynamic range than your typical rock and roll.
I paired then with a Schiit Valhalla 2. The combo is my primary setup for both vinyl and digital.

tbh im trying to figure out what headphones im gonna get next

i have a playlist of what i usually listen to so maybe someone can figure out what headphones would work best but i still listen to a TON of stuff even outside of it... people on hifiguides forums recommends the 58X and who knows just the thing im unsure about is i did a bit of a test for open backs (put my phone at medium volume and walked around my house).. and i could SLIGHTLY hear music when i had my door open and went to where my parents usually came.. so im unsure about open back

If noise isolation is a big issue, then open backs aren't the way to go. At moderate volume, I can faintly hear mine a couple rooms over.

So I got the Jotunheim last night. First, I like the look and feel of it. Solid. And it sits nicely with the Vega. One gripe, led power indicator is a little too bright. I’ll be putting something over that.

At first listen I didn’t notice a huge difference in sound quality from the output of the Vega. I left it on all night, came down this morning and listened again both ways.

The overall sound signature is roughly the same between the two units. What the Schiit does is expand the soundstage outward and clean up the top end.

I knew that the Aeon Flows were considered to have a pretty narrow soundstage, and that proves true with both units really. But it was significantly wider with the Jot.

As for the top end, it sounds more controlled. It doesn’t filter the top end, it just cleaned it up.

Enjoying listening while not driving the whole house insane. But the wife is running out shortly, so me and the Fortes have a date! 3600FAC2-8B15-48FE-99D9-C40FB5673186.jpeg

Last edited:
is it fine if i give my playlist of example songs of what i listen to so we can see what i could get for good headphones under 400

is it fine if i give my playlist of example songs of what i listen to so we can see what i could get for good headphones under 400

Go for it.

Definitely check out the Audeze Mobius. It's a hell of a set of headphones for the price. It's planar, it's powered, it works wired or wirelessly. It's also got a virtual 2 ch mode that projects 'speakers' in front of you and is shockingly convincing.

Go for it.

Definitely check out the Audeze Mobius. It's a hell of a set of headphones for the price. It's planar, it's powered, it works wired or wirelessly. It's also got a virtual 2 ch mode that projects 'speakers' in front of you and is shockingly convincing.

The Magni 3 and Sennheiser HD 600 has been perfect for me. Great for all types of music imo and never fatiguing. I love the sound. I have a pair of Beyer 880 (600 ohms) too that I haven’t given much of a chance. My wife doesn’t like the sound bleed from the open backs though...

Back