What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

Music Direct was great, sending them back for an exchange. I assume something happened in transit. Look forward to getting the replacement.

I had something similar happen to my Sennheisers. They forgot to secure the socket in one of the earcups. I had to send them back over a missing zip tie.
I guess that's what warranties are for.

Been putting some miles on the 3000e's this week and am really enjoying them. They are super comfortable, though the earpads have a strong petro smell. It's dissipating.

I had read that some people thought that Grado headphones in general lacked bass, but I am not experiencing that at all. Listening to The Cars/Heartbeat City on Tidal and am blown away.. I swear when I close my eyes I'm fooled into thinking I'm feeling the bass in my chest like when I turn the Forte's up a bit..lol. It's pretty wild.

They are a little dependent on a sealed ear, so my reading glasses are a no.. but overall these are amazing. Highly recommended.

i bought myself some hifiman sundara planars that arrived 2 days ago... they sound nice.. the only issue is that maybe there is a bit too much in the treble... i like the clarity it has and how when i boost the bass it thumps HARD.. but when a song has a lot of hihats (example being whole lotta red), it almost hurts because too much high frequencies... otherwise very nice.. I'll figure out what to do.. but they legit make a lot of the music i called too long and got me bored (aka.. the rap double album situation) sound MUCH better.. maybe the grados were subtley fatiguing

Last edited:
Hey ladies and fellers...Need some assistance. I picked up an old Fisher 500c, and while I am waiting for speakers, I want to set up a headphone rig for this bas ass fisher. New to tube gear. I want to stay under $200 for a pair of headphones. I know nothing about the diff' b/w closed back or planar, and for under $200 I don't think I can go wrong. So what's the best bet at that price range to use with a tube amp. FWIW, I have heard the tube set up on the Fisher is sweet. TIA.

Hey ladies and fellers...Need some assistance. I picked up an old Fisher 500c, and while I am waiting for speakers, I want to set up a headphone rig for this bas ass fisher. New to tube gear. I want to stay under $200 for a pair of headphones. I know nothing about the diff' b/w closed back or planar, and for under $200 I don't think I can go wrong. So what's the best bet at that price range to use with a tube amp. FWIW, I have heard the tube set up on the Fisher is sweet. TIA.
I think you would really like Grado SR60X with the vintage Fisher tubes, $99. If you want a bit more bass the SR80 are $125. I don't listen on phones much at home but when I pulled my old 70's Grado SR60's out to try on my vintage late 60's McIntosh receiver I was amazed how well they did on all types of music. The new "X" Series has been updated including the drivers.

Have just ordered the new iFi hip dac 2 to go with the Meze's for an improvement to on-the-go / evening working listening. I've only heard and read good things about the original model and this one, so I'm looking forward to seeing what it has to offer. Anyone else using one?

I'm considering some new headphones. I don't wear them often, or for very long periods, but I read a few personal experiences with the planar magnetic type from a few people I semi-know online, so I am curious about these models. I did search the forum but only saw a few mentions of the HiFiMan brand.

Here's one option: HE400se
$109 "open box"

hifiman.jpg

Here's another option:

HiFiMan HE-560 V4 Premium Planar Magnetic Over-Ear Headphones (Black)
$299 down from $899

I have also found a $209 open-box option that appeals to me due to the $90 savings.

This review on that page, and comments I have seen elsewhere indicate I may need a dedicated higher-powered headphone amp to drive them properly, which I probably won't buy.

"Good soundstage, however detail and texture are not as good as the 400i headphones by Hifiman. I'm not sure this is because my amplifier is too weak, I am using the IFI idsd Diablo. From the YouTube reviews I have watched on these headphones, you need a good amount of power to properly power the dynamics of this headphone"

Another review:

A third option I would consider after reading more not-great reviews of the 560 is the Sundara, on sale for $350 now.

Open box at $300

SUNDARA_03.jpg

Thanks for any thoughts on these. I am coming into some "extra" money within a month and I thought I might treat myself. I don't have a big audio hardware budget, so 350 is probably the top end of what I would splurge for.

And if HiFiMan is a brand I should stay away from, I'm OK with that, too.

Last edited:
Have you been able to put them on? Different size/weight could result in a different experience.

I would not personally go for an "open box" option. The HiFiMan HE-560 new seems a very good option!

How do you like the Grado's btw ?

Have you been able to put them on? Different size/weight could result in a different experience.

I would not personally go for an "open box" option. The HiFiMan HE-560 new seems a very good option!
I have not tried any of these on, just seeing them online.

I see there's a pair of Grado SR325x that are just under $300 also.
They are on-ear, however. But made in USA and a very good brand. I can't see how long the Grado cable is on that page.

Then I hear these Sennheisers are great for $240
MASSDROP X SENNHEISER HD 6XX

The rabbit hole of headphone decisions!

I'm considering some new headphones. I don't wear them often, or for very long periods, but I read a few personal experiences with the planar magnetic type from a few people I semi-know online, so I am curious about these models. I did search the forum but only saw a few mentions of the HiFiMan brand.

Here's one option: HE400se
$109 "open box"

View attachment 126726

Here's another option:

HiFiMan HE-560 V4 Premium Planar Magnetic Over-Ear Headphones (Black)
$299 down from $899

I have also found a $209 open-box option that appeals to me due to the $90 savings.

This review on that page, and comments I have seen elsewhere indicate I may need a dedicated higher-powered headphone amp to drive them properly, which I probably won't buy.

"Good soundstage, however detail and texture are not as good as the 400i headphones by Hifiman. I'm not sure this is because my amplifier is too weak, I am using the IFI idsd Diablo. From the YouTube reviews I have watched on these headphones, you need a good amount of power to properly power the dynamics of this headphone"

Another review:

A third option I would consider after reading more not-great reviews of the 560 is the Sundara, on sale for $350 now.

Open box at $300

View attachment 126727

Thanks for any thoughts on these. I am coming into some "extra" money within a month and I thought I might treat myself. I don't have a big audio hardware budget, so 350 is probably the top end of what I would splurge for.

And if HiFiMan is a brand I should stay away from, I'm OK with that, too.
I've had the Hifiman 4xx (via drop.com) for several years now. Really enjoy them, and it would take more money than I'm comfortable spending to replace them. I haven't directly heard any of the ones your listed here, but I've read about all of them at various points. If I was in your shoes, I'd go new Sundara.

The impression I get from hifiman is that some of their stuff is polarizing, so if this is your first go with them I would stick to the ones that are considered a more widely accepted sound signature. I'm no expert by any means, but in my mind I have kind of built a tier list of their more widely praised headphones. It seems to be 4xx to get a taste of the brand, Sundara, Arya, 1000 V2. That list could be totally out of whack, but from reviews over the last few years those are the ones that seem more universally loved compared to other models... from my perspective.
But you'll find fans of each model. Their naming system and the number of headphones they offer in close price proximity create a research nightmare. Given that you won't have a big stable of comparison, I think you'll enjoy any of them unless you end up just really hating the planar sound. I personally really enjoy it.

I see there's a pair of Grado SR325x that are just under $300 also.
They are on-ear, however. But made in USA and a very good brand. I can't see how long the Grado cable is on that page.

Then I hear these Sennheisers are great for $240
MASSDROP X SENNHEISER HD 6XX

The rabbit hole of headphone decisions!
I didn't love the 650s when I demoed them, but I've often considered giving the 6XX another shot due to the number of audiophile friends that have them. I know a couple guys that have massive home speaker systems, but they still like the old reliable 650/6XX when they use headphones.

@djdavedk i have the HE-400 and heard the original HD600, my quick take aways:

• Hifiman were far more musical than the Senns and really pulled me into the music
  • hifiman were worse from a comfort level over long periods; the senns were practically weightless (I believe the newer headband design address this on the Hifiman)
  • Both played well with my portable amp at the time. The planars really shine with a good amp to drive them; I assume the senns do as well, did keep them long enough to test
  • Both have good soundstages being open back; bass can feel lacking if you’re really a bass head, but in my exp they were good enough for the music
I’ve since upgraded to Audezes just because of how much I love the planar experience, would recommend them any day of the week. That said I’ve also heard nothing but good things about the Senns too 😆.

Looking for recommendations on a new set of IEMs. I had a pair of Shure SE215 that I lost. The very upper limit I would like to spend is $200CDN/$150USD through prefer closer to $150 CDN. I use the IEM with either my Shanling M1 dap or my phone with a dac dongle.

I'm finally upgrading my phone to one without a headphone jack. I'm on android. I have a pair of B&O beoplay buds but not in love with them. Anyone ever try Grado's wireless buds? Any other recommendations?

I tried to find a nice deal on the 235x on hifi shark and FBMarket place, no luck. Ordered a new set and they arrive tomorrow. Will let you know.
I have only tried the SR-60/80, so look forward to your thoughts although I have read they have more detail.

Back