What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

after daily driving 58X's for like 2 months i basically use closed backs anymore (though in the future i'll have to). using my M50s again though they still sound alright it felt weird with how there wasn't much warmth on them and sounds felt blocked out.. including my own voice

Picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD 599 SE's from Amazon.

I'm not a big headphone guy, but I could get into it starting with these. Even just streaming through Spotify sounds really good.

Never had open back headphones either, so I thought I'd give them a try. I don't mind that I can hear through them so far.

i'm thinking because im having trouble with getting the details between a FLAC and an spotify stream even with an 100 dollar dac, i think the 58X might not work for me since im wanting something with more details and a more.. energetic sound, something more punchy but also feels like a lot of textures are coming out more... these 58X sound great on my LPs though so it MIGHT just be that digital sounds lesser than a good vinyl master

i'm thinking because im having trouble with getting the details between a FLAC and an spotify stream even with an 100 dollar dac, i think the 58X might not work for me since im wanting something with more details and a more.. energetic sound, something more punchy but also feels like a lot of textures are coming out more... these 58X sound great on my LPs though so it MIGHT just be that digital sounds lesser than a good vinyl master
6xx are not energetic or punchy, FYI. They epitomize laid back.

welp, I dipped my toes and so far so good. When the 'Vid hit, and I need to do some at home teleconference BS, I went and got some HIFIman wireless in-ears. They just did not click with me. So last week I won a fleabay auction for some Seinheisser Momentum 3's (over ears). I needed an all purpose set of cans - home/office/music (not in that order), and the wife has ADD, so I cannot crank up the dynaudio's and open back's were a no go. I like what I hear so far.

Question: do I need a HF amp for these if I plug them into my home system? My rig does not have an internal HF Amp, so if I do need one, I will need to buy one. AND if that is the case, what is a sub $100 amp recommendation?

welp, I dipped my toes and so far so good. When the 'Vid hit, and I need to do some at home teleconference BS, I went and got some HIFIman wireless in-ears. They just did not click with me. So last week I won a fleabay auction for some Seinheisser Momentum 3's (over ears). I needed an all purpose set of cans - home/office/music (not in that order), and the wife has ADD, so I cannot crank up the dynaudio's and open back's were a no go. I like what I hear so far.

Question: do I need a HF amp for these if I plug them into my home system? My rig does not have an internal HF Amp, so if I do need one, I will need to buy one. AND if that is the case, what is a sub $100 amp recommendation?

The Schiit Magni is a little over budget at $129, but is a very good amp.

was thinking about this HF amp situation a bit further. Not sure if this exists, but I would like a HF amp that would allow me to plug in my new headphones (wired) or use the blutooth. Does this type of amp even exist? If anyone replies to this, see above, I purchased a Sennheiser Momentum 3 (wireless).

If I have to go with the portable amp that is fine, I just want to be able to hook that amp up to my musical fidelity integrated amp.

was thinking about this HF amp situation a bit further. Not sure if this exists, but I would like a HF amp that would allow me to plug in my new headphones (wired) or use the blutooth. Does this type of amp even exist? If anyone replies to this, see above, I purchased a Sennheiser Momentum 3 (wireless).

If I have to go with the portable amp that is fine, I just want to be able to hook that amp up to my musical fidelity integrated amp.
That sounds tricky. I haven't seen a headphone amplifier component that supports both wired and Bluetooth. Here an an Amazon search for Bluetooth headphone adapters, which look like they would plug into your existing headphone out: https://www.amazon.com/bluetooth-headphone-adapter/s?k=bluetooth+headphone+adapter. Some of there are outputs, some are inputs (so you could pair your stereo with your phone), and some can be configured either way.

Grado has a new limited edition headphone, called The Hemp. The price is $420, naturally.

Grado has a new limited edition headphone, called The Hemp. The price is $420, naturally.
"While the hemp is doing the heavy lifting, this is a joint effort." "Fine rolled for every genre of music"
It sounds like they had fun with the ad copy. Let's start a scavenger hunt for all the stoner puns!

The Schiit Magni is a little over budget at $129, but is a very good amp.
other alternatives are the JDS atom and the monolith liquid spark

You are making this much more difficult than it needs to be. Headphones will either sound good or not. Ask 100 people the same question and you’ll get multiple answers.

The idea of different headphones for different genres is like having different televisions for movies or sports or sitcoms. It makes no sense.
I disagree. I'm looking at this thread because I'm in the market for some headphones. And my contenders are all very different. What I have learned from those with more experience than myself is that people can own lots of headphones for different reasons. Something very analytical like the Sennheiser HD800s's that are open will give me lots of joy but I feel like having some closed Sony MDR-Z1R's will make for easier listening with some compromises to the integrity of the music (coloration, imaging, soundstage). Musical memory is short-lived and I will adapt to enjoy any high end set of cans I'm sure. But I can appreciate having more than one set.

I have one car because I just need to get from A to B with it. I have 4 mountain bikes that I use regularly because each one offers a different experience that I may be in a mood for. And then I have a road and gravel bike. Maybe instead of saying different headphones for different genres I should say it makes sense to have different ones for different moods? Each having it's own strengths and weaknesses for me, the user. Kind of like those people who have a large collection of phono carts and actually switch between them from time to time.

Back