What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

I disagree. I'm looking at this thread because I'm in the market for some headphones. And my contenders are all very different. What I have learned from those with more experience than myself is that people can own lots of headphones for different reasons. Something very analytical like the Sennheiser HD800s's that are open will give me lots of joy but I feel like having some closed Sony MDR-Z1R's will make for easier listening with some compromises to the integrity of the music (coloration, imaging, soundstage). Musical memory is short-lived and I will adapt to enjoy any high end set of cans I'm sure. But I can appreciate having more than one set.

I have one car because I just need to get from A to B with it. I have 4 mountain bikes that I use regularly because each one offers a different experience that I may be in a mood for. And then I have a road and gravel bike. Maybe instead of saying different headphones for different genres I should say it makes sense to have different ones for different moods? Each having it's own strengths and weaknesses for me, the user. Kind of like those people who have a large collection of phono carts and actually switch between them from time to time.

This is well put, and I agree. But I think @HiFi Guy's overriding point is that any of the headphones @duke86fan is/was regarding are likely to be Good Headphones, so waffling endlessly trying to hold out for a perfect pair is pointless, especially when the experience is ultimately so objective. You won't know what you like until you try it.

This is well put, and I agree. But I think @HiFi Guy's overriding point is that any of the headphones @duke86fan is/was regarding are likely to be Good Headphones, so waffling endlessly trying to hold out for a perfect pair is pointless, especially when the experience is ultimately so objective. You won't know what you like until you try it.
i was only asking about it because i was thinking "hey i remember some old headfi things saying stuff like sennheiser best for classical or grado best for rock" and wanted to start a bit of communication and find out subjective opinions.. there are rarely bad headphones unless they are 10 dollar skullcandy iems, and i feel like all of them excel in totally different ways and wanted to know everyones personal opinion

how does that project compare to the magni 3+

Seems down on power and features. He reviews the Asgard ($199) very positively.

Generally, I think both Schiits are considered to share a house sound, though obviously the more expensive Asgard brings higher power and more elaborate amplification.

what would you all recommend as monitoring headphones... my brother is planning on making some video games so i might actually try to make some music again.. my only requirements are that they can still be fun while being used to produce and mix music, and that it has a lower impedance than 300-600 ohm like the 880s

what would you all recommend as monitoring headphones... my brother is planning on making some video games so i might actually try to make some music again.. my only requirements are that they can still be fun while being used to produce and mix music, and that it has a lower impedance than 300-600 ohm like the 880s

I mean, correct me if I’m wrong, but you want neutral headphones for monitoring. The whole point is to have an uncolored presentation.

I use these beyerdynamic DT 240 headphones for watching videos on my macbook. They claim to be designed for monitoring. I like the sound, it's detailed and balanced. I find them to be comfortable too, but the earcups aren't large, so I wouldn't recommend them for someone with large ears.

Denon doesn’t usually get a lot of talk on audio forums, But their mid to higher and headphones are pretty good IMHO

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the AH-D2700

so my new final audio E3000 IEMs sound better than my sennheiser 58X...

the E3000 have a bit more trebel, a bit more of a clearer more textured feeling.. maybe its the DAC thats the reason (a monolith USB dac compared to the LG V35) or the impedance (16 ohms compared to 150 ohms), but one just sounds better

so my new final audio E3000 IEMs sound better than my sennheiser 58X...

the E3000 have a bit more trebel, a bit more of a clearer more textured feeling.. maybe its the DAC thats the reason (a monolith USB dac compared to the LG V35) or the impedance (16 ohms compared to 150 ohms), but one just sounds better
IEM and Open Back over ears are apples and oranges. As is 16 vs 150 ohms. Your ears are all that matter but given appropiate front end a 150 ohm winding is going to have substantially better resolution than 16 ohms. IEM sound isolation cannot be beat though.

hopefully this clarifies what you are experiencing:

IEM and Open Back over ears are apples and oranges. As is 16 vs 150 ohms. Your ears are all that matter but given appropiate front end a 150 ohm winding is going to have substantially better resolution than 16 ohms. IEM sound isolation cannot be beat though.

hopefully this clarifies what you are experiencing:
the weird thing is that these apparently have super similar frequency responses but the open backs feel less glistening.. like there is more top end and clarity on the IEMs

i think with the EQ i have done on my IEMS that made them so much better (raise sub bass a bit, do a notable raise in 500 to 4K). i think i need a headphone that is fairly bright or at least v shaped.. im going with either a hifiman sundara or a grado (sr80 or 225)

If you're looking for a way to fine tune your EQ, you might have a use for the Schiit Loki. I found mine is very transparent until I mess with its controls. Even then, I can only hear the changes I request.

Amazon UK has a deal on the Senny 599s. Been looking at adding headphones and a headphone amp for a while. Is there any reason not to jump on the 599s for under £100? I'd originally thought I could go to about £200 - £250 for the headphones.

Heads up: I purchased a KingKo KA101 Pro tube amp from Big Ear Stereo in Phoenix, AZ this morning. Tom seems like a great guy, very straightforward and helpful. COVID has obviously done a number on his business, though, and thus he is selling a number of items at reduced prices, including a selection of Grado headphones for wholesale + 10%. Models available: GH4, Hemp, RS2e, SR325e.

If you're interested, shoot Tom a message via the inquiry button at: Grado Labs Archives | Big Ear

Hey Headphone folks, can you recommend a good headphone stand? The one I have is too light and gets dragged around when I grab and or try and tuck the cables under it. Nothing crazy expensive, if that's possible. :)

I use one from Grado that's treated me well. I don't know if $180 is more than you wanted though.

Hey Headphone folks, can you recommend a good headphone stand? The one I have is too light and gets dragged around when I grab and or try and tuck the cables under it. Nothing crazy expensive, if that's possible. :)
I have this one from monoprice. It costs $20 and weighs 1.5 lbs.

So, fits like a glove :)
20201021_204822.jpg

Random question, any thoughts on right angle adapters for the headphone jack? Is a connector a connector a connector? Or is there any issue with connectivity, coupling and so on, or should I just leave it be? The native connector on my Grado headphones is a 3.5, it came with the 1/4 adaptor.

Hello everyone!

I’m looking for opinions on DT 770s. With not a huge amount of budget at the moment, I am looking for headphones that are good for:

1) Use with my turntable (just got a Loxjie p20 for my setup so I can finally have a nice headphone set up)

2) use for mixing (i’m a video editor and my current headphones just blew up on me)

Will these be a good headphone for me?

Also are the 990s something I should consider too?

Back