What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

This might be a request that runs counter to this forum's preferences, but does anyone have a recommendation on wireless over-ear headphones under $100 or so? With all the sheltering in place and working from home with the spousal unit, I've been listening to my computer's audio over headphones more often. The only wireless phones I have are some cheapo earbuds (soundbuds slim) which I actually enjoy quite fine.

Currently, I've been using the wired equivalent to these guys:
The reviews are lukewarm on them, but the wired ones have fine sound and have worked fine for me for eight years now, and I kinda appreciate the style being a bit less chonky than most bluetooth over-ears are. But I'm open to suggestions; I don't mind looking like a fool for good sound.
20200404_132510.jpg
I have the Sennheiser 4.5 Bluetooth Noise Cancelling headphones. Not sure if they fit the budget, but I wear them all day long when working. I handle conference calls, listen to podcasts and music, etc. Non fatiguing in sound and comfort. Never ran out of a battery charge and they seem to juice back up quickly. I'm sure there are models that sound better (these sound just fine, but certainly not better sounding than my Grados of course) but are very functional and do their job well.

EDIT - B&H Photo has them on sale for $100 right now

View attachment 39551
I have the Sennheiser 4.5 Bluetooth Noise Cancelling headphones. Not sure if they fit the budget, but I wear them all day long when working. I handle conference calls, listen to podcasts and music, etc. Non fatiguing in sound and comfort. Never ran out of a battery charge and they seem to juice back up quickly. I'm sure there are models that sound better (these sound just fine, but certainly not better sounding than my Grados of course) but are very functional and do their job well.

EDIT - B&H Photo has them on sale for $100 right now
Those are only $100 atm from B&H. They are the newer version of the model I mentioned above. Seems like a good one to try.

My headphone set up is probably not quite as advanced as most here. Suits me well though.

Denon AH-D7200 w/ 3rd party balanced cable
Hiby R6 Pro DAP

The Denon Just arrived a few days ago, and is still in the auditioning phase.

Hello @RichGrado, I have a question of the non-cartridge variety. The Grado 15' headphone extension cable shows as discontinued at crutchfield, unavailable at amazon, and out of stock at music direct and parts express. It's available at a few other sites, including your online store, but I was wondering if something new is coming soon, thus the scarcity? Perhaps different lengths, like a 8' or 10' extension?

I might need to update my earlier comments about the sound leakage from my Grados. I just noticed my phone was lit up and checked its screen. I was slightly creeped out to see the name of the song I was listening to. I had totally forgotten that it listens for music and tries to show the name of whatever song it hears.

I might need to update my earlier comments about the sound leakage from my Grados. I just noticed my phone was lit up and checked its screen. I was slightly creeped out to see the name of the song I was listening to. I had totally forgotten that it listens for music and tries to show the name of whatever song it hears.

well that's a big nope

If the leakage was good enough for your phone to name that tune, then I can only imagine how good they sound over your ears!

I’m interested in getting a Schitt Magni 3+ to listen to my records through headphones, but am not entirely sure on how to add it to my setup.
I currently have my turntable connected to my pre-amp, which is then connected to my receiver. Whenever I want to listen through headphones, do I need to disconnect the 2-RCA going to my receiver and plug them into the Magni?
This may be a super dumb question, so please pardon my ignorance. The thought of having to disconnect and reconnect stuff just seems super tedious.

I’m interested in getting a Schitt Magni 3+ to listen to my records through headphones, but am not entirely sure on how to add it to my setup.
I currently have my turntable connected to my pre-amp, which is then connected to my receiver. Whenever I want to listen through headphones, do I need to disconnect the 2-RCA going to my receiver and plug them into the Magni?
This may be a super dumb question, so please pardon my ignorance. The thought of having to disconnect and reconnect stuff just seems super tedious.

If your receiver has a fixed pre-out, you can go Phono -> Receiver -> Magni.

In a pinch, you can do Phono -> Magni -> Receiver. The Magni has a front jack for headphones as well as a rear output for pre-amp use that you should be able to chain into the rest of your system, but it is a variable output and thus controlled by the Magni's volume pot.

If your receiver has a fixed pre-out, you can go Phono -> Receiver -> Magni.

In a pinch, you can do Phono -> Magni -> Receiver. The Magni has a front jack for headphones as well as a rear output for pre-amp use that you should be able to chain into the rest of your system, but it is a variable output and thus controlled by the Magni's volume pot.
Great! Completely answers my question.

The capabilities of my current pre-amp are better than the Magni as a pre-amp. Would chaining the Magni to my current set up lower the quality of my sound when I’m listening without headphones?

Great! Completely answers my question.

The capabilities of my current pre-amp are better than the Magni as a pre-amp. Would chaining the Magni to my current set up lower the quality of my sound when I’m listening without headphones?

If your receiver supports it, I'd recommend having the Magni at the end of the chain. What's the model?

As a last resort, you can also get Y cables so that your receiver and Magni are in parallel (I think that would be okay).

So it seems like I have a few options, but I might consider upgrading my receiver before investing in the Magni. It doesn’t make sense to jeopardize the quality of my sound through speakers just to listen to music through headphones every once in a while.

Thanks so much for the recommendations, guys! Super helpful.

As a last resort, you can also get Y cables so that your receiver and Magni are in parallel (I think that would be okay).
Hm.

So it seems like I have a few options, but I might consider upgrading my receiver before investing in the Magni. It doesn’t make sense to jeopardize the quality of my sound through speakers just to listen to music through headphones every once in a while.

Thanks so much for the recommendations, guys! Super helpful.

I use an amp switch currently and have never noticed any degradation. But if it gives you an excuse to buy a new amp...😬

Back