What's Going On Up There- The Headphone Thread

I really like my P7s FWIW. Great price too. I think my P7s were $400 when I bought them a few years ago. I know the price has come down on P7s since the P9 came out.
Thanks! P7s seem gone from all retailers by now, but just found a new pair on eBay. Threw a $130 bid on them. Would gladly take a pair of P7s if I can get some not used for around 150

I have 3 different pairs that I use for different purposes.

A pair of Grado SR225s that I use almost exclusively on the PC with streaming apps and iTunes.

A pair of in-ear Shure SE425s that are for plugging into my phone when I'm on the go. I also use those to plug into the laptop when it's not docked at home with the Grado's.

Finally, a pair of Sennheiser HD598's that are super comfy and I can listen with for really long sessions - I use those with the stereo system and turntable.

Everything is wired.

I have 3 different pairs that I use for different purposes.

A pair of Grado SR225s that I use almost exclusively on the PC with streaming apps and iTunes.

A pair of in-ear Shure SE425s that are for plugging into my phone when I'm on the go. I also use those to plug into the laptop when it's not docked at home with the Grado's.

Finally, a pair of Sennheiser HD598's that are super comfy and I can listen with for really long sessions - I use those with the stereo system and turntable.

Everything is wired.
planning on doin something similar

in ears for phone use on the go, 58x for home use on my laptop and turntable, and M50s for when im away from home and on my laptop

What cable do you have on your Shures? I had the stock cable on my SE215s forever, then the left side cut out and replaced it with the one with the inline mic. Quality of that one is way lower, I'm not a huge fan of it, but I love the Shures. Not sure if I want to move to the Bluetooth cable or not. I've also got the Comply Isolation tips on mine, make my commute a dream.

What cable do you have on your Shures? I had the stock cable on my SE215s forever, then the left side cut out and replaced it with the one with the inline mic. Quality of that one is way lower, I'm not a huge fan of it, but I love the Shures. Not sure if I want to move to the Bluetooth cable or not. I've also got the Comply Isolation tips on mine, make my commute a dream.

I actually replaced it a bunch of times. I tried some cheaper third-party cables off amazon but they didn't last much past a year. I came back to an original Shure cable in the end (no mic, "transparent" color). They seem to last the longest, even if they're stiffer than the other options. The one I have currently has been ok for 2-3 years. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: this cable...48C1670C-782A-4B05-B4C7-EFCD028560E9.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi,

My headphone setup is for use at work, so wanted something closed back. Needed something that sounds good, has minimal sound leakage, some blocking out of noise, and most of all, comfortable. After some messing with amps & DACs, I'm very happy and (hopefully) won't be messing with the setup for a while (though I was eyeing the LTA MICROZOTL MZ2 for a long long time).

Current Setup
Headphones (Primary)
: Focal Elegia
Cables: Artic Cables UPOCC w/balanced connector (amazing...completely changed the sound of my setup though I don't know if it's just because it's the extra juice from the balanced out or cable quality or both)
Amp: Monoprice THX AAA 887
DAC: Topping D70
Misc: Audioquest Jitterbug, WORLDS BEST CABLES interconnects w/Eminence Locking RCAs (from Amazon)

Also have Bose QC35s which are for traveling/doing chores around the house) and B&O Beoplay H5 (for working out).

Past Things Owned/Tried
Audioquest Red DAC/Amp (still have it but don't really use it anymore), xDuoo TA-10 DAC/Amp (returned), Grado SR60 (could never get them to be comfortable)

i just recently got some used sennheiser 58X's and originally i was dissapointed because i thought "these sound just like my M50s".. then i removed the foam someone premodded into them and they were fucking AMAZING on autechre

Audioquest Red DAC/Amp (still have it but don't really use it anymore)

also possibly would buy that but eh i dunno if id hear a difference plus i am not loaded rn

also possibly would buy that but eh i dunno if id hear a difference plus i am not loaded rn

Unless you want a Dragonfly Red for its extreme portability, I'd suggest getting something with more power. Maybe even a portable DAC/Amp like from Topping, iFi, SMSL, Aune, etc., many of which are around the same price as the Red or even less.

But before that, I'd suggest just enjoying your recently acquired 58Xs. :)

Unless you want a Dragonfly Red for its extreme portability, I'd suggest getting something with more power. Maybe even a portable DAC/Amp like from Topping, iFi, SMSL, Aune, etc., many of which are around the same price as the Red or even less.

But before that, I'd suggest just enjoying your recently acquired 58Xs. :)
i will

i just want my music to sound better and i need enough portability to be used on my bed and take to somewhere during a vacation

i was thinking an ifi idsd nano for MQA, DSD, and better overall sound. but i dunno what might work best for me... it seems like if a DAC doesn't make something sound super amazing (and tbh music just sounds like music no matter what unless you use an equalizer). you mostly just buy a DAC for features

I have a JDS ODAC and a Topping D10. The D10 is clearly superior but the ODAC is no slouch. Both offer substantial value over a dragonfly for the same price or less (provided you know how to shop).

i was thinking an ifi idsd nano for MQA, DSD, and better overall sound. but i dunno what might work best for me... it seems like if a DAC doesn't make something sound super amazing (and tbh music just sounds like music no matter what unless you use an equalizer). you mostly just buy a DAC for features

I'm still relatively new to "HiFi" so take this for what it's worth...I can't really tell significant differences between DACs (granted, I haven't tried higher-end DACs yet). I did hear enough differences between my Topping D70 and the other DACs I tried, but it wasn't 'til I tried it on Qobuz/Tidal/Amazon HD vs. Spotify. Even then, ultimately, it was just something I wanted rather than felt like I had to upgrade. In my limited sampling, I think DACs have gotten really good these days and to your point, a lot is about features.

When you're ready though, try stuff out and see what works best for you. That's what I ultimately did (and in the process, I also realized Z_Reviews and I don't have similar sensibilities so now I just watch him for entertainment).

I'm still relatively new to "HiFi" so take this for what it's worth...I can't really tell significant differences between DACs (granted, I haven't tried higher-end DACs yet). I did hear enough differences between my Topping D70 and the other DACs I tried, but it wasn't 'til I tried it on Qobuz/Tidal/Amazon HD vs. Spotify. Even then, ultimately, it was just something I wanted rather than felt like I had to upgrade. In my limited sampling, I think DACs have gotten really good these days and to your point, a lot is about features.

When you're ready though, try stuff out and see what works best for you. That's what I ultimately did (and in the process, I also realized Z_Reviews and I don't have similar sensibilities so now I just watch him for entertainment).
as i said its mostly due to wanting higher sampling rates and stuff like MQA or DSD.. my laptops built in dac can only do 16/48 and i know its just snake oil with higher resolutions because of how human ears work but its nice for my mental pissing contest

Tbh with the 58Xs there might be a bit too much bass on my grado.. it's kinda blurring the vocals on Slowthai.. but that's the only criticism I have

This might be a request that runs counter to this forum's preferences, but does anyone have a recommendation on wireless over-ear headphones under $100 or so? With all the sheltering in place and working from home with the spousal unit, I've been listening to my computer's audio over headphones more often. The only wireless phones I have are some cheapo earbuds (soundbuds slim) which I actually enjoy quite fine.

Currently, I've been using the wired equivalent to these guys:
The reviews are lukewarm on them, but the wired ones have fine sound and have worked fine for me for eight years now, and I kinda appreciate the style being a bit less chonky than most bluetooth over-ears are. But I'm open to suggestions; I don't mind looking like a fool for good sound.

I have no advice, sorry. :/

I just felt bad no one had responded.
Agreed. I don't have any experience I can site, but this is the first place I might start my research:

Edit: ha, I guess that is a little out of date, is that site still being run after Tyll retired?

In any case, that Sennheiser they recommended is only $70 now, so might be worth checking out.

Last edited:
Back