Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I am envious of all of you that get their VMP shipments early in the month. I'm always stuck waiting! really looking forward to Jailbreak.
i only just re-signed up for this album. in the past when i was a member, it got to the point where the next monthly swaps would be open before I had received my last month's album haha

When you all get your Lizzy please let us know how it sounds please. Tx
Moving this to the Essentials thread. I thought it sounded good — I liked the what sound 2 sounds better than side 1. I feel like an original pressing probably has a lot more air in between things, more separation. This one is kind muddled in the low end and mid range. That is nitpicking though, it totally rocks!

comparing it to my existing copy, this new cut is a bit brighter and the guitars have a bit more oomph. The drums stand out much more than they do on my existing copy, especially on a song like Warriors that's always sounded murky. Overall, I think this is the kind of improvement you get when you do these sorts of versions of 50 year old records. If this is the first copy of this you hear, you'll probably think this is a pretty great record. I'll keep this version for sure. also, no GZ fuckery and the record is flat, so one of their better packages of late.

Didn't want to get this but was pulled in by the artwork, and I'll say it's a really amazing package on this. My record is silent and nearly flat although it does have a tiny minuscule "lip warp" that doesn't really cause cart quaking, so considering the heat wave I'm going to let it slide.

Mastering... perhaps I'm not as emphatic that this is definitive as everyone else, although I do think it's quite good. I compared it to my 1980 Japanese reissue, and found it to be about a draw. The Japanese is a bit brighter/"open" but also seems to be more dynamic. If I have time I'll do the nerdy thing and needledrop them both and see if there's some sort of limiting on the KG cut or if it's just my mental take on the EQ. One note, Kevin really hasn't given a f— recently when it comes to cutting things hot, and this is no exception. Expect some hot distortion on tracks. Certain points make my ML track like an elliptical, but I think it works for rock. Anyhow I plan on keeping both copies but it will be hard to say which I play more. If anyone doesn't have a copy I would recommend this one easily.

Obviously the music is amazing. Thin Lizzy is really the full package for 70s bands, the lyrics are the right balance of dumb and smart, the energy is always spot on every album, showmanship doesn't outpace rawness, emotions run high.

Didn't want to get this but was pulled in by the artwork, and I'll say it's a really amazing package on this. My record is silent and nearly flat although it does have a tiny minuscule "lip warp" that doesn't really cause cart quaking, so considering the heat wave I'm going to let it slide.

Mastering... perhaps I'm not as emphatic that this is definitive as everyone else, although I do think it's quite good. I compared it to my 1980 Japanese reissue, and found it to be about a draw. The Japanese is a bit brighter/"open" but also seems to be more dynamic. If I have time I'll do the nerdy thing and needledrop them both and see if there's some sort of limiting on the KG cut or if it's just my mental take on the EQ. One note, Kevin really hasn't given a f— recently when it comes to cutting things hot, and this is no exception. Expect some hot distortion on tracks. Certain points make my ML track like an elliptical, but I think it works for rock. Anyhow I plan on keeping both copies but it will be hard to say which I play more. If anyone doesn't have a copy I would recommend this one easily.

Obviously the music is amazing. Thin Lizzy is really the full package for 70s bands, the lyrics are the right balance of dumb and smart, the energy is always spot on every album, showmanship doesn't outpace rawness, emotions run high.
In agreement with you on most of this! I have a 1976 GK Masterdisk pressing which is probably a low VG+ media, but still in good shape. The two pressings sound different to each other, but both sound great. I like things about both pressings and would be happy with either.

The VMP overall package is rad. My other copy doesn't have the diecut cover and the mirror finish is really awesome on the VMP. Credit where credit is due on this one--I think they killed it. It really is such a good album too. I'll always cringe/laugh a little when I hear:

Oh poor Romeo
Sitting all on his own-e-oooo

But the record is fun and a great classic rock record. I need to pick up more of their stuff--only have this and Live and Dangerous.

Am I insane or do the incredibly common comparisons between Interpol and Joy Division make absolutely no sense? People keep saying Paul has a deep voice and I don't even really hear that most of the time.

Sure post punk has always been a very broad genre which encompasses rather different sounding bands, but Interpol sounds so much more like contemporary early 00s Indie Rock bands than any conventional post punk that I'm a fan of that I am always left puzzled by how many "Interpol is a JD cover band" comments I've seen.

Honestly think it has decreased the amount I would enjoy the album because I go into it thinking I would love some post punk and end up confused.

Edit: Ok, look, if the whole album sounded like Stella Was A Diver, it would make more sense, but to me that song seems like an outlier.

Last edited:
Am I insane or do the incredibly common comparisons between Interpol and Joy Division make absolutely no sense? People keep saying Paul has a deep voice and I don't even really hear that most of the time.

Sure post punk has always been a very broad genre which encompasses rather different sounding bands, but Interpol sounds so much more like contemporary early 00s Indie Rock bands than any conventional post punk that I'm a fan of that I am always left puzzled by how many "Interpol is a JD cover band" comments I've seen.

Honestly think it has decreased the amount I would enjoy the album because I go into it thinking I would love some post punk and end up confused.

Edit: Ok, look, if the whole album sounded like Stella Was A Diver, it would make more sense, but to me that song seems like an outlier.
Yeah I've always found the comparison a bit reductive. There ARE obvious similarities but to call them a cover band is laughable.

Packaging looks great. Hope it sounds great too.

2LP but still pressed at 33 1/3

do original copies of the album sound bad?

2LP but still pressed at 33 1/3

do original copies of the album sound bad?
They sound fairly muddy. I have an original pressing which is supposed to be the best it sounds so far and it's just okay. It's only on one LP. I think if it improves it sonically to have it on 2 LPs it will be worth it. The other additions that were two LPs just had outtakes on the 2nd LP. The VMP version of the Strokes is better than the OG I have.

Last edited:
@Crabbers you still need someone to buy Interpol for ya? I can do it as an add-on for you if you want. Only downside is VMP won't ship to another address, so I'd have to ship it to ya after I get it.

Back