Vinyl Me Please Essentials

That one already had a Willie, so it's how they get around their own rule.
it's obnoxious, because that essentials slot is lost to a country record. The really annoying part is I'm certain they wouldn't slip in a technically-country-but-we-just-want-to-sidestep-our-own-arbitrary-rule-for-the-bucks in the other direction, like, dropping Ween's 12 Golden Country Greats in the country track.

it's obnoxious, because that essentials slot is lost to a country record. The really annoying part is I'm certain they wouldn't slip in a technically-country-but-we-just-want-to-sidestep-our-own-arbitrary-rule-for-the-bucks in the other direction, like, dropping Ween's 12 Golden Country Greats in the country track.
I'm always up for making fun of vmp but consistently essentials from the beginning was their track that could feature everything and they had rhh and soul and jazz in there before. The logic was always that genre records from the other tracks that were deemed to have a wider appeal were eligible for essentials as well

Last edited:
I'm always up for making fun of vmp but consistently essentials from the beginning was their track that could feature everything and they had top hop and soul and jazz in there before. The logic was always that genre records from the other tracks that were deemed to have a wider appeal were eligible for essentials as well
I'm ok with Willie being in the essential track. He's an artist that spans generations and is very popular. Also, I didn't hear much uproar when it came to having Outkast in RHH, Essentials, and RHH again. If the artist and album fit, I'm fine double dipping, as long as they're spaced out. Shotgun Willie will be 3 years from Phases & Stages, which would put 36 albums per track between them. If Willie is 2/72, I'm ok with it.

Is there a reason to be excited for the Interpol album from VMP given that it is readily available to buy?
If you want a copy on colored wax spread over 2xLPs in an nice gatefold jacket then sure! Outside of that I wouldn’t imagine much improvement in fidelity. I doubt it will immediately sell out so you could wait and see the reviews before committing $40+ on a copy.

Is there a reason to be excited for the Interpol album from VMP given that it is readily available to buy?
Eeeeeh.
I'm okay with my 1LP black. I don't honestly see the need given the price. It's something I've spun maybe once then listened to Antics. If you really want the album like @TenderLovingKiller® said wait for the reviews before deciding. GZ seems to be back in their old ways again so there's a much greater than 0 chance there's going to be some issues.

Honestly I'm not sure why VMP absolutely needed to jump on this one. It was a pressing virtually nobody asked for. Definitely one of their more curious picks recently. If they really wanted to jump on a early 2000s Indie rock album there was some better picks out there that could probably have used a repress.

EDIT: Going through some of the best of 2000s though the market seems good for most of the essentials. Maybe they should leave that era alone for a bit.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm not sure why VMP absolutely needed to jump on this one. It was a pressing virtually nobody asked for. Definitely one of their more curious picks recently. If they really wanted to jump on a early 2000s Indie rock album there was some better picks out there that could probably have used a repress.
I love this album and think it’s worthy of an “Essential” designation. If it was determined that the VMP is the definitive version I would gladly fork over the extra cash but I am not diving in head first. I also loved Room On Fire, Boxer, Veckatimest, & Bitte Orca but I never felt like a VMP pressing would add enough to replace my perfectly fine readily available standard copies and I suspect Turn On The Bright Lights will probably fall in that same category.

EDIT: Going through some of the best of 2000s though the market seems good for most of the essentials. Maybe they should leave that era alone for a bit.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs - Fever To Tell
Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport
Health - S/T

Are three that could really use it

Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs - Fever To Tell
Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport
Health - S/T

Are three that could really use it
I think this version of Fever To Tell gets repressed fairly regularly and sounds fantastic…

Fuck Buttons and Health are great but probably a few tiers lower on the popularity scale than the 2000 indie releases they usually choose as an Essentials title.

I love this album and think it’s worthy of an “Essential” designation. If it was determined that the VMP is the definitive version I would gladly fork over the extra cash but I am not diving in head first. I also loved Room On Fire, Boxer, Veckatimest, & Bitte Orca but I never felt like a VMP pressing would add enough to replace my perfectly fine readily available standard copies and I suspect Turn On The Bright Lights will probably fall in that same category.
Yeah, that's what it boils down to.
It's a good album (Antics will always be the better one I contend), but a VMP pressing just seems like a waste of a pick for me.

And the only reason I am picking up Bright Eyes is I missed on the latest repress, otherwise I'd file it in the same category.

You know what the market DOES need?
Another press of BSS You Forgot it in People. I will say this enough times until it manifests.

And the only reason I am picking up Bright Eyes is I missed on the latest repress, otherwise I'd file it in the same category.

You know what the market DOES need?
Another press of BSS You Forgot it in People. I will say this enough times until it manifests.
I may pick up Bright Eyes, I don’t own a copy yet but I figured I would take a wait and see approach with regards to quality.

Unfortunately your Best bet with BSS at this point is probably an A&C reissue. VMP already put out a numbered exclusive of You Forgot It In People so I doubt they are gonna ever do another pressing of that album.

Back