Vinyl Me Please Classics

Link trick doesn’t show the actual new release. If it’s correct, it’ll take you to the previous ROTM’s page. If it’s incorrect, it’ll take you to the store page front.
Ahhhh right, that makes sense. I tried putting Slowthai in for the rap & hip hop and that took me to the previous ROTM so looks like thats likely to be correct then. Cheers @NewsFedora and @Wes C. Attle

Link trick doesn’t show the actual new release. If it’s correct, it’ll take you to the previous ROTM’s page. If it’s incorrect, it’ll take you to the store page front.

Ok thanks, i thought i could see some release info.

Ive tried other links and just figured they caught the error before i tried the link.

Last edited:
Email from Pauly said that they don't expect the corrected copies to be ready to ship until the week of October 21.
Email said they hope to ship them out the week of October 21
Ok, thanks. I didn't get it, but I wanted to hear some opinions because I'm considering to swap for it next month.

Really underwhelmed by the choice of Brubeck’s Jazz Impressions of Japan. It’s a fairly common album and one that’s merely good, not great.

Ho hum, time to swap out again.

If its a AAA remaster it might be cool to have, but I'm not too excited about it either. I had a Columbia 2 eye original before that I got for $10, was in great shape but vinyl quality was not great as it was noisy. This could be a big improvement.

Common? You mean as in easy to get? It hasn't had a reissue since 1980 unless Discogs is missing something. Or are you meaning common in a not as adventurous choice standpoint?

I was recently at a record store in Florida (Banana's Music in St. Pete) which has a back room of a few thousand unsorted records for $2.99 each.

I spent a good three hours flipping through those musty records. About every 10th record was a Brubeck. Impressions of Japan was not among them.

I’ve came across this record at least twice in the past year or so at the flea market, thrift store or antique store, can’t really remember. I know I’ve passed it up multiple times before that in my record collecting career. I have a decent copy I bought many years ago for a dollar or so.

It’s been a long time since I listened to it, but it definitely didn’t leave an impression on me...
🤷‍♂️

Really underwhelmed by the choice of Brubeck’s Jazz Impressions of Japan. It’s a fairly common album and one that’s merely good, not great.

Ho hum, time to swap out again.
Not sure I completely agree with this. There's a ton of other jazz records I would have preferred but thats my personal preference over the merit of the album.

In terms of it being common, thats a consistent occurrence with the classics, but it doesn't claim not to be. Just take the last handful of releases:
Art Blakey - The Freedom Rider. Had a repress in 2018 that can be picked up for £13.00
The Isley Brothers - Go For Your Guns. An original first press is common and will set you back £4.50
Willie Bobo ‎– Uno Dos Tres 1•2•3. Another with an easy to find first press, which will cost approx £9.
Sister Rosetta Tharpe ‎– Gospel Train. 2018 repress goes for £15.60.
Al Green ‎– Call Me. First pressing is approx £9.30

My point is that almost all the classics as easy to find and affordable, but what sets them apart is the quality of the overall package including the pressing itself. Is Jazz Impressions of Japan Brubeck's best work? Probably not. But it does act as a good gateway into his work, especially considering that its part of a series he released which acted as a travel diary - Jazz Impressions of the U.S.A. (1956), Jazz Impressions of Eurasia (1958), Jazz Impressions of Japan (1964), and Jazz Impressions of New York (1964).

Back