Vinyl Me Please Classics

But as far as I understand it whether an album is released in mono or stereo is nothing to do with the initial recordings in studio. It’s all in the mix where the instruments are placed in the separate channels? Often there would be mixes in both versions in the 60s but the mono would be the reference mix involving the artist and the stereo often made after the fact by the engineers for the then niche stereo market.

AFAIK, there are lots of mono-only releases out there. I think these tend to be pre-60s before stereo became a thing. They were recorded and mixed in mono entirely. Blue Note 1500 series is a good example of this. RVG recorded these in mono and switched over to stereo-recording somewhere in the early 60s (I think people call Moanin' the last record RVG recorded in both true mono and stereo).

After that point, when stereo is a thing, everything you said is on point.

AFAIK, there are lots of mono-only releases out there. I think these tend to be pre-60s before stereo became a thing. They were recorded and mixed in mono entirely. Blue Note 1500 series is a good example of this. RVG recorded these in mono and switched over to stereo-recording somewhere in the early 60s (I think people call Moanin' the last record RVG recorded in both true mono and stereo).

After that point, when stereo is a thing, everything you said is on point.

Ah fair enough, pre 60s is something I have very little knowledge of, particularly when it comes to jazz lol.

This is an interesting topic, which classics releases are definitely mono? I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Good question. Looking at Vinyl Me, Please. Classics, apparently Carla Thomas is in mono.

Some that aren't specifically tagged mono but I'd have to double-check on:
- Miles & Coltrane (due to the original source recording)
- Oriental Jazz (again, due to the original source)
- Rosetta Tharpe (original in 1956)

Anybody know definitively on these?

Good question. Looking at Vinyl Me, Please. Classics, apparently Carla Thomas is in mono.

Some that aren't specifically tagged mono but I'd have to double-check on:
- Miles & Coltrane (due to the original source recording)
- Oriental Jazz (again, due to the original source)
- Rosetta Tharpe (original in 1956)

Anybody know definitively on these?

Even though I made a few of those discogs entries, I have generally no clue as to whether they are mono or stereo. I only go by what is listed on the release.

To be fair, the Tone Poet series does not explicitly say mono or stereo for every release, either. My thought is they (Blue Note, VMP, or anyone really) are intentionally vague and careful not to say one way or another. That way, nobody can say they made an error in the listing. That's just my opinion. I don't have a dedicated mono setup anyway, so it's not a big issue for me, all of them sound great, both mono and stereo. I can understand for those that do have the equipment, it would be really nice to know for certain.

Cheers.

Link for Brubeck confirmed.

Oh yeah, I asked about other Classic Exclusives and got this:
06EB309E-5129-4EB5-B00D-2140D103234E.jpeg
So combined with his previous Brubeck tweet, I think we may get Time Out in the future? Which could be really good if they’re using the AP plates and doing it a colour variant at QRP.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I asked about other Classic Exclusives and got this:
View attachment 19969
So combined with his previous Brubeck tweet, I think we’ll may get Time Out in the future? Which could be really good if they’re using the AP plates and doing it a colour variant at QRP.
I've already got the AP press... But that would be tough to pass up...

Back