Vinyl Me Please Classics

Jazz Impressions of Japan is an awesome record, can't wait to have the AAA VMP pressing. No doubt it will outmatch whatever other version you can find of it in terms of sound quality and artwork recreation. Complaining that you can find a cheap used copy is missing the point that it still is worth the price just like Go For Your Guns and Call Me were. Those were amazing reissues.

Jazz Impressions of Japan is an awesome record, can't wait to have the AAA VMP pressing. No doubt it will outmatch whatever other version you can find of it in terms of sound quality and artwork recreation. Complaining that you can find a cheap used copy is missing the point that it still is worth the price just like Go For Your Guns and Call Me were. Those were amazing reissues.

Yea I'm still kinda pissed I missed out on Call Me, was going to swap for it but didn't get to in time. From what I hear SQ is fantastic.

Yea I'm still kinda pissed I missed out on Call Me, was going to swap for it but didn't get to in time. From what I hear SQ is fantastic.
The sound quality is exceptional! And listening to the track “Here I Am (Come and Take Me)” gives me so much life! It’s sexy, comforting, affectionate, funky, soulful, heart-warming, welcoming, yet fierce and affirmative! It’s everything! ♥️

Do all of the Classics booklets for Jazz Samba have a weird copying/pasting error resulting in the following nonsensical sentence on page 7:

"Increased access to Weste de Moraes and Luis Bonfa) would score Marcel Camus' 1959 Palm D'Or [sic] at Cannes and the 1960 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film."

Everything after "Weste de Moraes" also shows up at the top of the next page in the booklet and it all seems to actually belong in that sentence.

Just wondering if somehow someone has a version of this booklet with the correct ending to the sentence quoted above.

If that weren't strange enough - I tried to upload a picture of the album cover to Instagram just now and the post was removed for violating their community guidelines. Thanks for keeping us safe, Instagram! lol

Also, is this the only #1 album in the Classics track so far?

Do all of the Classics booklets for Jazz Samba have a weird copying/pasting error resulting in the following nonsensical sentence on page 7:

"Increased access to Weste de Moraes and Luis Bonfa) would score Marcel Camus' 1959 Palm D'Or [sic] at Cannes and the 1960 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film."

Everything after "Weste de Moraes" also shows up at the top of the next page in the booklet and it all seems to actually belong in that sentence.

Just wondering if somehow someone has a version of this booklet with the correct ending to the sentence quoted above.

If that weren't strange enough - I tried to upload a picture of the album cover to Instagram just now and the post was removed for violating their community guidelines. Thanks for keeping us safe, Instagram! lol

Also, is this the only #1 album in the Classics track so far?
"Around your marrow".

Ask someone.

I get people not wanting this. As someone with a very basic jazz collection this isn’t high up my list of things to get. I may swap myself as a result. Much like the Isley pick I think it comes down to how much you want a modern audiophile issue, which comes down to mastering taste and priories.

I get people not wanting this. As someone with a very basic jazz collection this isn’t high up my list of things to get. I may swap myself as a result. Much like the Isley pick I think it comes down to how much you want a modern audiophile issue, which comes down to mastering taste and priories.

To be honest I’m surprised this is the pick getting the debate. Bobo and Miller were utterly ridiculous picks, this is miles more on point than either. Had those two been dropped and 2 good soul albums released in their place it’d have been a much better year both in terms of quality and genre balance. As it is we got 5 jazz albums, two of which were average, and only 1 soul album...

To be honest I’m surprised this is the pick getting the debate. Bobo and Miller were utterly ridiculous picks, this is miles more on point than either. Had those two been dropped and 2 good soul albums released in their place it’d have been a much better year both in terms of quality and genre balance. As it is we got 5 jazz albums, two of which were average, and only 1 soul album...

Completely agree with you. I'll admit that I'm biased when it comes to this album, because it might be my favorite Brubeck album after Time Out (although there are other contenders such as Live @ Carnegie Hall, Jazz goes to College & Time Further Out). Whether one will enjoy this album or not is of course a personal issue, but in my eyes this pick makes just as much sense as The Freedom Rider last month. It's not the most famous album in the artists catalog, but more of a somewhat forgotten gem. This album has the classic Brubeck quartet firing on all cylinders, with very inventive music inspired by a tour through Japan (I'll admit I'm somewhat obsessed with Japan, so that's probably why I like it so much). Not quite sure what else you need for a Classics pick.

Completely agree with you. I'll admit that I'm biased when it comes to this album, because it might be my favorite Brubeck album after Time Out (although there are other contenders such as Live @ Carnegie Hall, Jazz goes to College & Time Further Out). Whether one will enjoy this album or not is of course a personal issue, but in my eyes this pick makes just as much sense as The Freedom Rider last month. It's not the most famous album in the artists catalog, but more of a somewhat forgotten gem. This album has the classic Brubeck quartet firing on all cylinders, with very inventive music inspired by a tour through Japan (I'll admit I'm somewhat obsessed with Japan, so that's probably why I like it so much). Not quite sure what else you need for a Classics pick.

I agree with you two here, I personally think its a good pick.

I suppose the thing I most hope for in these releases is something that entices me to look into the artists other work after listening to the VMP pick. Ignoring licencing issues, if VMP were to choose an artists most popular release each month then theres a good chance I would have passed on a lot of them due to already having it. After all, if your interested in a particular musician you tend to go for their most known release. The Brubeck release is certainly one of his less popular releases, but I imagine all that does is make people who are unfamiliar with him seek out his other work.

I agree with you two here, I personally think its a good pick.

I suppose the thing I most hope for in these releases is something that entices me to look into the artists other work after listening to the VMP pick. Ignoring licencing issues, if VMP were to choose an artists most popular release each month then theres a good chance I would have passed on a lot of them due to already having it. After all, if your interested in a particular musician you tend to go for their most known release. The Brubeck release is certainly one of his less popular releases, but I imagine all that does is make people who are unfamiliar with him seek out his other work.

I also think that with the classics it won’t always be the biggest album with the bigger artists (except call me obvs) just because they don’t seem to go that way. It does feel like an appropriately weighty artist and even if it’s not his most beloved it’s not going to be a weird, but slightly dull, curio like Miller or just a bit throwaway like Bobo. I’m really hoping there is more soul and, on top of December, more blues going forward though.

I also think that with the classics it won’t always be the biggest album with the bigger artists (except call me obvs) just because they don’t seem to go that way. It does feel like an appropriately weighty artist and even if it’s not his most beloved it’s not going to be a weird, but slightly dull, curio like Miller or just a bit throwaway like Bobo. I’m really hoping there is more soul and, on top of December, more blues going forward though.
Im still on team Miller, I thoroughly enjoyed the backstory to it all and its not an album I would have gravitated to had it not been for the VMP pick. To mirror what I said in the previous comment, I actually did go out and pick up his 'Jazz At The University Of Utah' album as a result of the pick.

I was familiar with Bobo as a sideman, but hadn't heard his music with him as lead so that was an interesting pick for me - although I will say its one I doubt will get many re-plays. I do think they should have chosen an album which showcased his compositions, rather than billboard covers though as its not really a true reflection of his music IMO.

Im almost certain I will hunt down the other 3 albums in the Brubeck series as a result of this release (assuming the album is as good as I expect it will be). So, again, the pick is likely to achieve what I hope for in a pick.

Im still on team Miller, I thoroughly enjoyed the backstory to it all and its not an album I would have gravitated to had it not been for the VMP pick. To mirror what I said in the previous comment, I actually did go out and pick up his 'Jazz At The University Of Utah' album as a result of the pick.

I was familiar with Bobo as a sideman, but hadn't heard his music with him as lead so that was an interesting pick for me - although I will say its one I doubt will get many re-plays. I do think they should have chosen an album which showcased his compositions, rather than billboard covers though as its not really a true reflection of his music IMO.

Im almost certain I will hunt down the other 3 albums in the Brubeck series as a result of this release (assuming the album is as good as I expect it will be). So, again, the pick is likely to achieve what I hope for in a pick.

I mean I don’t think either was bad per se I’m just not a huge jazz fan so it has to be actively good to interest me and i just thought both of those picks were lightweights, the bobo in particular seemed like a bit of an anachronism that hasn’t outlived it’s time and space. If you look at them both alongside the other 3 jazz in comparison (blakey, Brubeck, blossom dearie) they don’t come close. If those two picks had gone to stronger soul albums we would have had 3 jazz, 3 soul and 2 blues which alongside the additional new genres (2 funk, 1 salsa, 1 gospel) would have given the year an much nicer balance.

I mean I don’t think either was bad per se I’m just not a huge jazz fan so it has to be actively good to interest me and i just thought both of those picks were lightweights, the bobo in particular seemed like a bit of an anachronism that hasn’t outlived it’s time and space. If you look at them both alongside the other 3 jazz in comparison (blakey, Brubeck, blossom dearie) they don’t come close. If those two picks had gone to stronger soul albums we would have had 3 jazz, 3 soul and 2 blues which alongside the additional new genres (2 funk, 1 salsa, 1 gospel) would have given the year an much nicer balance.

Yeah I agree with you there for sure. Im not that familiar with Soul or Blues so im probably more inclined to be excited about the Jazz picks. With that being said, some of my favorite releases have been the Funk/Soul ones but im so out of my depth that I dont know if they are always the best picks or not within that genre. I guess at the end of the day if I like it then its a good pick to me :ROFLMAO:

Yeah I agree with you there for sure. Im not that familiar with Soul or Blues so im probably more inclined to be excited about the Jazz picks. With that being said, some of my favorite releases have been the Funk/Soul ones but im so out of my depth that I dont know if they are always the best picks or not within that genre. I guess at the end of the day if I like it then its a good pick to me :ROFLMAO:

Yeah completely get that. The soul are the ones I’m into and I’m willing to learn with the blues/funk. The jazz I find a bit more difficult and can only really make a judgment in isolation as to whether I like it and whether I find it interesting or relevant.

As far as a curated pic goes I think there's no issue you can have with it. With you on the Bobo, I hate jazz pop covers, and that one is chuck full of cheesy ones. Miller I like, but I'm aware it's far from a "classic" in any sense of the term.

With this pick I get people's objection that this is an easy to find record, and not a terribly expensive one either, which is why I invoked the Isley brothers record. For whatever it's worth my Go For Your Guns VMP RKS cut is much more dynamic, clear and open than my OG T-Neck 3+3. That quality bump matters to me, but if others have only a passing interest in the Isleys or audiophile concerns the $5 copies out there shouldn't be objectionable at all. I think since moving to the Sterling cuts and QRP pressings the Classics lineup has become a bit more about the value of the pressing quality as opposed to the scarcity of the record.

Edit: plus I have learned here and at the older place over the years that a lot of folks just don't like buying used, which factors into differing views of "value".

Back