Vinyl Me Please Classics

Yeah I can see that. But man, Time In, Time Out and Time Further Out are all amazing. So many cool tracks and really different arrangements on there. Like Raggy Waltz, Lost Waltz and Unsquare Dance are all just sick, and that's not even touching his really well known tracks like Take Five...
Agreed! One of my favorite Brubeck tracks has got to be this one though; it’s a real treat for anyone who’s unfamiliar! Stardust in general is one of my favorite written songs ever and Brubeck and Desmond just do it oh so much justice.

Side note, let's look at two examples of how to title an album influenced by Eastern culture written by a while Anglo Saxon American:

-Jazz Impressions of Japan - Brubeck (1964)

Respectful correct way.

-Oriental Jazz - Miller (1968)

OMG NOOOO WRONG EJECT EJECT

Yeah I can see that. But man, Time In, Time Out and Time Further Out are all amazing. So many cool tracks and really different arrangements on there. Like Raggy Waltz, Lost Waltz and Unsquare Dance are all just sick, and that's not even touching his really well known tracks like Take Five...
Unsquare dance is fantastic, cant believe he wrote a song that cool in 7/4!

Side note, let's look at two examples of how to title an album influenced by Eastern culture written by a while Anglo Saxon American:

-Jazz Impressions of Japan - Brubeck (1964)

Respectful correct way.

-Oriental Jazz - Miller (1968)

OMG NOOOO WRONG EJECT EJECT

Interestingly, the first is inspired by a short visit to japan, while the latter was by someone who studied iranian music for years

Interestingly, the first is inspired by a short visit to japan, while the latter was by someone who studied iranian music for years
This. Good lawdy, can't believe this dead horse is being dredged up again from the last place. Should you "cancel" an excellent album from 50 years ago because of non racist outdated nomenclature?

The term ‘Oriental’ is outdated, but is it racist?

This. Good lawdy, can't believe this dead horse is being dredged up again from the last place. Should you "cancel" an excellent album from 50 years ago because of non racist outdated nomenclature?

The term ‘Oriental’ is outdated, but is it racist?
Was joking. Also never said anything about "cancelling" anything. I have the album. It's not the term that bothers me so much, as obviously it was a different time. Moreso it's naming it "Oriental Jazz" when there is not a single musician of Eastern decent playing on the album. It's a little presumptuous. To say the least.

Just got my VMP box in today w Yusef, Floyd and Darrell Banks and I gotta say Eddie Floyd sounds not so hot? Is that just my copy? Sounds so bottled up! Yusef on the other hand sounds great, and Banks is up next.

Unfortunately not just you. I think it's just a really poor pressing. I hunted down an OG copy and it's waaaay better.

Unfortunately not just you. I think it's just a really poor pressing. I hunted down an OG copy and it's waaaay better.
I'm gunna have to go back and listen to that Floyd album again... I didn't remember it sounding that bad. But I think I only spun it once or twice while I was doing other things around the house...

A question about classics releases, as I’ve only been a member for a few months: if the original album was released as both stereo and mono, which does VMP press? I’m curious, as I have an original mono version of Jazz Impressions of Japan and when I looked it up on Discogs I saw there were stereo releases as well. Does anyone know if these were truly different mixes, or was one a faked version from the other?

A question about classics releases, as I’ve only been a member for a few months: if the original album was released as both stereo and mono, which does VMP press? I’m curious, as I have an original mono version of Jazz Impressions of Japan and when I looked it up on Discogs I saw there were stereo releases as well. Does anyone know if these were truly different mixes, or was one a faked version from the other?
there is no general rule for that. guessing the new rotm should be aaa they will probably go with the original Version, so mono is most likely, but we won´t know before they realese the rotm Details (or after asking for it, because they sometimes Forget those Details)

It sounds like at least for the "Time" albums around then they were both true mono and stereo. I've seen some people saying they prefer the monos. It may be the same for this album. Apparently Columbia was recording to mono and 3-track at the time. This was some brief research so please correct me if anyone finds conflicting info.

It sounds like at least for the "Time" albums around then they were both true mono and stereo. I've seen some people saying they prefer the monos. It may be the same for this album. Apparently Columbia was recording to mono and 3-track at the time. This was some brief research so please correct me if anyone finds conflicting info.

But as far as I understand it whether an album is released in mono or stereo is nothing to do with the initial recordings in studio. It’s all in the mix where the instruments are placed in the separate channels? Often there would be mixes in both versions in the 60s but the mono would be the reference mix involving the artist and the stereo often made after the fact by the engineers for the then niche stereo market.

But as far as I understand it whether an album is released in mono or stereo is nothing to do with the initial recordings in studio. It’s all in the mix where the instruments are placed in the separate channels? Often there would be mixes in both versions in the 60s but the mono would be the reference mix involving the artist and the stereo often made after the fact by the engineers for the then niche stereo market.
Definitely, although I've heard that about the artists being involved more with later 60s rock bands, it may be true for jazz as well. The only thing it has to do with the studio is in some cases, it is only recorded to mono and in those cases, if a mono and stereo mix exists, one is either fake stereo.

Someone over at sh.tv said that the monos of these Brubeck albums are preferred because the stereos are bright. I have no personal experience with originals or comparing the mono or stereo though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Edit: sorry, I initially said if it was only recorded multi-track a mono would be a fold down, but that isn't true. Plenty of mono albums were made that way. I guess it is only fake stereo if they don't do a remix and just use the mono master.

Last edited:
I asked this same question on the old forum a long time ago about Jazz Samba (before it was released), didn't get a solid answer from staff, and it turned out to be stereo.

So, I would bet on stereo. The real answer is probably "depends on what the label gives us access to".

I asked this same question on the old forum a long time ago about Jazz Samba (before it was released), didn't get a solid answer from staff, and it turned out to be stereo.

So, I would bet on stereo. The real answer is probably "depends on what the label gives us access to".
This is an interesting topic, which classics releases are definitely mono? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Back