Vinyl Me Please Classics

If they sell out of Classics in an hour and sell out of R&HH overnight they are seriously doing something wrong with inventory management. How much money are they leaving on the table by ordering such low numbers?

I was very close to subbing for 3 months for the Otis and then it was gone.
This is in the wrong section but it hits on my concern. Should I add a track and swap stuff out now just so I can get in on the white stripes album in tree months?
Or do you think the orders for that are already in with the announcement?

Wondering the same thing. I didn't want the Stooges, and I don't want Stevie Nick's, but I'd like to get in on the White Stripes.
My impression is that you can get on the "next" release if you join before it launches, although this is a new approach. I would think they leave themselves some wiggle room to work in new customers before they ask for the final count. And with all the mess happening now, there is probably enough of a delay from issues that if you join before the month kicks off, you should be good. BUT... if you're really concerned, TREAT YO-SELF! Join early, grab a swap here and there and be sure to be on the bus when it leaves. ;)

Alright, you guys might remember me geeking out over Nat Turner Rebellion last year and trying to find every extra morsel of unreleased material from them. I have a bit of an update that I discovered purely by accident.

A couple of weeks ago I was buying a record off of discogs and saw the seller also had a copy of Nat Turner's Can't Go on Livin'/Laugh to Keep from Crying single for like, two bucks. Both songs made it to the VMP album so it wasn't anything really on my radar but at that price I thought I could give it a loving home.

When I got it the other day I gave it a spin, not expecting much. And indeed it was pretty crackly but something felt... different about Can't Go on Livin'. The bass felt more prominent, and Major Harris' vocals almost sounded mournful than what I was accustomed to. I knew the songs had been remastered for the VMP release so the two versions would undoubtedly have some minor differences in their sound but... this is different.

Sure enough, I started playing them side-by-side and much to my surprise this wasn't just a different remaster, not even a different mix: it's a completely different take!

Listen and compare!

The original 1971 single:

And the VMP remaster:

One of the most obvious parts is if you skip to around 2:46 on each song. In the original, Major Harris sings, "What in the world am I gonna do without ya, baby? Oooooh ooh ooh!" In the VMP remaster Major sings, "Lord, I don't wanna go without ya, baby. Whee hee wait! Don't make me go on without ya baby!"

This is all a really neat surprise! I really do hope VMP or someone else puts out an EP with the missing Nat Turner songs and if they need to flesh it out, we now know of at least one alternate take they can also use. I actually went back to the Philly Groove CD compilation I bought last year for The Robot Parts 1 and 2, and sure enough, Can't Go On Livin' is the original take, not the VMP version. I now might have to really listen and compare to see if any other alternate takes are out there.

Edit: If you're wondering, Laugh to Keep from Crying is the same. I think. Maybe, I'm a bit drunk right now tbh I'll compare them side by side later. But it didn't stand out the way this did.

Edit 2: I've closely compared my vinyl single version with the one that was on that 1990s CD compilation and while I can determine they're the same take (and thus different from the VMP album remaster), the CD compilation seems to have the audio slowed down and it fades out sooner, maybe about 5-10 seconds before the vinyl single does. My turntable could be playing my 45 a little too fast, but honestly, the CD compilation version feels like it drags too much, so I'm thinking the CD version's speed is the one that's incorrect.

Furthermore, while the vocals and band's instrumentation are different, I believe the orchestral string arrangement is the same across both versions. And again, lining up VMP's version with the CD compilation, the orchestral strings almost immediately go out of sync, with the CD compilation lagging behind the VMP remaster. I might encode a clip of them playing together and going out of sync, it sounds really fucking creepy. :p

Edit 1: So apparently Reservoir Media thinks this is actually a Delfonics song????

Edit 2: Wait THIS IS A DELFONICS SONG WTFFFFFF

Last edited:
Alright, you guys might remember me geeking out over Nat Turner Rebellion last year and trying to find every extra morsel of unreleased material from them. I have a bit of an update that I discovered purely by accident.

A couple of weeks ago I was buying a record off of discogs and saw the seller also had a copy of Nat Turner's Can't Go on Livin'/Laugh to Keep from Crying single for like, two bucks. Both songs made it to the VMP album so it wasn't anything really on my radar but at that price I thought I could give it a loving home.

When I got it the other day I gave it a spin, not expecting much. And indeed it was pretty crackly but something felt... different about Can't Go on Livin'. The bass felt more prominent, and Major Harris' vocals almost sounded mournful than what I was accustomed to. I knew the songs had been remastered for the VMP release so the two versions would undoubtedly have some minor differences in their sound but... this is different.

Sure enough, I started playing them side-by-side and much to my surprise this wasn't just a different remaster, not even a different mix: it's a completely different take!

Listen and compare!

The original 1971 single:

And the VMP remaster:

One of the most obvious parts is if you skip to around 2:46 on each song. In the original, Major Harris sings, "What in the world am I gonna do without ya, baby? Oooooh ooh ooh!" In the VMP remaster Major sings, "Lord, I don't wanna go without ya, baby. Whee hee wait! Don't make me go on without ya baby!"

This is all a really neat surprise! I really do hope VMP or someone else puts out an EP with the missing Nat Turner songs and if they need to flesh it out, we now know of at least one alternate take they can also use. I actually went back to the Philly Groove CD compilation I bought last year for The Robot Parts 1 and 2, and sure enough, Can't Go On Livin' is the original take, not the VMP version. I now might have to really listen and compare to see if any other alternate takes are out there.

Edit: If you're wondering, Laught to Keep from Crying is the same. I think. Maybe, I'm a bit drunk right now tbh I'll compare them side by side later. But it didn't stand out the way this did.

Edit 2: I've closely compared my vinyl single version with the one that was on that 1990s CD compilation and while I can determine they're the same take (and thus different from the VMP album remaster), the CD compilation seems to have the audio slowed down and it fades out sooner, maybe about 5-10 seconds before the vinyl single does. My turntable could be playing my 45 a little too fast, but honestly the CD compilation version feels like it drags too much, so I'm thinking the CD version's speed is the one that's incorrect.

Furthermore, while the vocals and band's instrumentation are different, I believe the orchestral string arrangement is the same across both versions. And again, lining up VMP's version with the CD compilation, the orchestral strings almost immediately go out of sync, with the CD compilation lagging behind the VMP remaster. I might encode a clip of them playing together and going out of sync, it sounds really fucking creepy. :p

I love this obsession and can completely associate with it myself. I did not see the prior posts where you must have expressed the admiration for this LP (which I also dig), but I'm going to revisit it, in fact, I MUST do that now after reading and enjoying the details and care that have gone into reviewing this band. I do the exact same thing and occasionally feel like I'm the only one. Glad to know there are two of us.

I love this obsession and can completely associate with it myself. I did not see the prior posts where you must have expressed the admiration for this LP (which I also dig), but I'm going to revisit it, in fact, I MUST do that now after reading and enjoying the details and care that have gone into reviewing this band. I do the exact same thing and occasionally feel like I'm the only one. Glad to know there are two of us.

It was one of my favorite albums last year, and it left me itching for more. I've been able to find 2-3 additional Nat Turner songs (depending how you want to categorize "The Robot Parts 1 and 2") which I talk about in my previously linked posts. Hope you enjoy them!

Guys I'm going down a fucking rabbit hole with this thing. I'm now finding "Can't Go On Living" as being attributed to the Delfonics, not Nat Turner Rebellion o_O

That above video is the exact same version as my Nat Turner 45, with the correct speed and proper fadeout, too. But this isn't some mixup from a random 1990s Philly Groove compilation. This comes from a 2013 release by Reservoir music aka the current rights holder of the Philly Groove catalog, including the VMP Nat Turner album.

I am so, so confused right now. Maybe it was miscatalogued and stuck with Delfonics stuff? Maybe Reservoir at the time in 2013 didn't know as much about Nat Turner Rebellion as we do now?

Help.

I know this isn’t necessarily VMP classics related but it is classics related ;). What are the go to albums for Marvin Gaye following What's Going On? Like what’s his Top 5?
I am a huge Marvin Gaye fan! He’s one of my favourite artists and I love how indulgent, lavish, rich and sexy a lot his music is! My personal top 5 in order are:

1. I Want You
2. What’s Going On
3. Here, My Dear
4. Let’s Get It On
5. Diana & Marvin

I Want You, What’s Going On & Here, My Dear are all albums that have a special place in my heart. I love them, with a lot of passion!

I know this isn’t necessarily VMP classics related but it is classics related ;). What are the go to albums for Marvin Gaye following What's Going On? Like what’s his Top 5?
His string of albums from Let’s Get It On to his last album Midnight Love are all pretty great, though Let’s Get It On stands out to me as the best of the pack and his second best album overall (after What’s Going On, of course)!

I really like United. It’s got some stone cold classics on there. Let’s Get It On is also very good.

Let's Get It On and Here My Dear are the top two outside of What's Going On. And then Midnight Love after that.
Here My Dear also just has an amazing story behind it. Marvin was sued for divorce by his estranged first wife in the 70s. He was spending so much money on coke and his lifestyle at the time that he fell behind on alimony payments. His lawyer worked out a deal where half of his royalties for his next album would go to his ex-wife, so he recorded Here My Dear. The majority of the album is about his divorce and contains some pretty harsh lyrics. The album art work is pretty dark as well. Apparently upon hearing it for the first time, his ex-wife considered suing him because she was so upset about it.

Back