Vinyl Me Please Classics

Alright, you guys might remember me geeking out over Nat Turner Rebellion last year and trying to find every extra morsel of unreleased material from them. I have a bit of an update that I discovered purely by accident.

A couple of weeks ago I was buying a record off of discogs and saw the seller also had a copy of Nat Turner's Can't Go on Livin'/Laugh to Keep from Crying single for like, two bucks. Both songs made it to the VMP album so it wasn't anything really on my radar but at that price I thought I could give it a loving home.

When I got it the other day I gave it a spin, not expecting much. And indeed it was pretty crackly but something felt... different about Can't Go on Livin'. The bass felt more prominent, and Major Harris' vocals almost sounded mournful than what I was accustomed to. I knew the songs had been remastered for the VMP release so the two versions would undoubtedly have some minor differences in their sound but... this is different.

Sure enough, I started playing them side-by-side and much to my surprise this wasn't just a different remaster, not even a different mix: it's a completely different take!

Listen and compare!

The original 1971 single:

And the VMP remaster:

One of the most obvious parts is if you skip to around 2:46 on each song. In the original, Major Harris sings, "What in the world am I gonna do without ya, baby? Oooooh ooh ooh!" In the VMP remaster Major sings, "Lord, I don't wanna go without ya, baby. Whee hee wait! Don't make me go on without ya baby!"

This is all a really neat surprise! I really do hope VMP or someone else puts out an EP with the missing Nat Turner songs and if they need to flesh it out, we now know of at least one alternate take they can also use. I actually went back to the Philly Groove CD compilation I bought last year for The Robot Parts 1 and 2, and sure enough, Can't Go On Livin' is the original take, not the VMP version. I now might have to really listen and compare to see if any other alternate takes are out there.

Edit: If you're wondering, Laught to Keep from Crying is the same. I think. Maybe, I'm a bit drunk right now tbh I'll compare them side by side later. But it didn't stand out the way this did.

Edit 2: I've closely compared my vinyl single version with the one that was on that 1990s CD compilation and while I can determine they're the same take (and thus different from the VMP album remaster), the CD compilation seems to have the audio slowed down and it fades out sooner, maybe about 5-10 seconds before the vinyl single does. My turntable could be playing my 45 a little too fast, but honestly the CD compilation version feels like it drags too much, so I'm thinking the CD version's speed is the one that's incorrect.

Furthermore, while the vocals and band's instrumentation are different, I believe the orchestral string arrangement is the same across both versions. And again, lining up VMP's version with the CD compilation, the orchestral strings almost immediately go out of sync, with the CD compilation lagging behind the VMP remaster. I might encode a clip of them playing together and going out of sync, it sounds really fucking creepy. :p

Update on me trying to make sense of this "alternate" take of a Nat Turner Rebellion song. I just got a copy of the Delfonics' 1974 album "Alive & Kicking." The main reason was because it came with an original promo packet with a glossy photo of the band and a typed letter from label founder Stan Watson. Neat!

So anyways I have the record playing in the background and what song should appear near the end of Side B?

🤯

There's no credit to anyone from Nat Turner Rebellion in the liner notes despite this song appearing on a NTR single three years earlier (edit: however singer Major Harris, who is "featured" as a singer on the NTR single, was a full-fledged member of the Delfonics from about 1971-74).

So yeah, I have no idea wtf is going on or how is it I keep randomly stumbling onto things like this when I'm not even trying lol

Last edited:
My dream line up:

January: Weather Report - Mysterious Traveller (1974)

February: Stevie Wonder - Innervisions (1973)

Or Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly (1973)

March: Stanley Turrentine - Everybody Come On Out (1976)

Ditto to your choices! Mysterious traveller, especially!

Look for the Nimbus SuperCut Mysterious Traveller. Can't be beat. Inner Mounting Flame - Speakers Corner is good.
I really wish speakers corner was easier/cheaper to get in the US. I know a few stores carry them, but older OOP stuff is often $45+ in the US. The SC albums I do have all sound incredible though. It's one of my favorite reissue labels.

I've actually been a smidge disappointed with all the Speakers Corner pressings I've gotten (save for Mingus At Antibes, which sounds totally amazing!). And I will says Herbie's Crossings is pretty excellent. They're not bad or anything, but I think Analogue Productions, MoFi, and MMJ/Tone Poet all certainly sound a step above. Even some Rhinos Kevin Gray and Chris Bellman did. Of course, perhaps I haven't been getting albums that were recorded to the same quality as those on other audiophile labels, shrug.

Back