Vinyl Me Please Classics

Do others prefer media mail more? This last time it took me a bit longer to get my package which is usually my experience with USPS. Mostly because I live in a city and the sorting takes a day and a half, so even with two daily deliveries it’s still slower than in the burbs.
Media mail has been getting to me much faster on the west coast. Used to be ~10 days, now it’s ~5.

Do others prefer media mail more? This last time it took me a bit longer to get my package which is usually my experience with USPS. Mostly because I live in a city and the sorting takes a day and a half, so even with two daily deliveries it’s still slower than in the burbs.

Media mail is days faster for me from VMP every time. Gimme more of that. And my mailperson puts the package in the screen every time, unlike the other clowns that just leave it out in the rain for everyone to see.

Yeah not shocked. The USPS has ground shipping down to a science. FedEX and UPS are great for 2 day but not much else. I’ll suffer my extra days wait if it’s better for everyone lol

To celebrate and because I don't want a good effortpost to go to waste, I'm re-upping my "missing Nat Turner Rebellion songs" post from the old forum.

So y'all, I've been doing some research on the Nat Turner Rebellion and I thought I'd share some exciting findings I've made since the VMP announcement. This is gonna be a long post but I think you'll find it worthwhile!

First a quick recap: when @Storf was giving his clues and when VMP eventually made the announcement, everyone was under the impression NTR had made only three singles before fading into obscurity.

But it turns out that due to some poor labeling of releases on discogs (since corrected), there was a fourth single released simply under the name "Nat Turner." The A-side was a song called "Ruby Lee" (included on the VMP 7") while the B-side was a track called "You Are My Sun Sign," which is not found anywhere on the VMP edition.

Well, I'll be damned. This is a fourth single from them. It's not in any of the materials from the label, so this one was literally lost to the sands of time. You Are My Sun Sign didn't make our comp, tho Ruby Lee is the B-side to ours. This is unexpected.
I suspect this was released when everyone quit the band, and they tried seeing if billing them as a solo act would work.

A few copies of this fourth single were for sale on discogs, and all were quickly snatched up following this discovery lol

Anyways...

"Huh, the cover art for the above YouTube video isn't a vinyl single, what's up with that?" you're no doubt asking. I'll address that in a second. But first, back to unreleased NTR songs. Fourteen songs out of about 20 total are being released on the LP and new single. So we know that "Sun Sign" can be found on that elusive single from the early 70s, but what about the remaining five songs?

From the Storf AMA:

So yeah, those other six songs: There was a two song suite that was like a psych-rock rave-up that didn't fit well with the vibe of the album, that we originally sorta batted around as the 7-inch (we had the idea to do the group's final album single on this very soon in the project), but we passed on doing that. I know that there was only one song that I thought "yeah, they didn't have it here" and that one we left off, but otherwise, it was kind of splitting hairs. I know the most ballady song got left off too, because it also didn't work flow wise. I think both AB and I had 13 of the same songs going into our final tracklist meeting, and she fought to put McBride's Daughter on the album (that was one I had left off of album and single). Listening to the full album now, she made the right call.

So we're missing:

-A two song suite that sounds nothing like the rest of the album
-A song that kind of sucks
-A ballad that didn't fit in anywhere else
-Two other songs of mystery that could've made the cut but didn't

In my opinion "Sun Sign" falls in that last bullet point, unless Storf really didn't like it :whistle:

These songs are still in the possession of Drexel and Reservoir, so there's certainly a possibility they'll be released in some form some time down the road.

But if you're craving stuff and really want it now here's where things get interesting.

There's more Nat Turner content out there. Like, right now.

In the 1990s, Philly Groove label owners Stan Watson and Reid Whitelaw began licensing out their catalogue for numerous compilations. It wasn't just Delfonics and Spinners stuff either, they dug into their archives and made available material from bands like Finishing Touch, The Coupe De Villes, Ben Aiken, Broadway Express and... you guessed it, Nat Turner Rebellion.

But they also didn't limit it to previously released material from the 70s. Many of the songs from these artists had truly been previously unreleased, and NTR was no exception. Some songs like "Care" and "Never Too Late" can be found on these comps, 20+ years before their official debut on this month's Classics release.

I haven't listened to the new LP on Spotify (gonna wait until I get my grubby hands on the vinyl) so I can't compare the quality of the recordings or say for certain they are identical versions... for example the "Sun Sign" YouTube video I posted above is from one of these compilations and is actually an edited version of the song. It's about 90 seconds shorter than what's on the 7" vinyl release. It's possible some of these other NTR songs are altered as well.

So I'm going to highlight a few of these compilations and the NTR songs found within! Songs in bold are not from one of the four original 7" singles from the 1970s.

Deep in the Philly Groove (Kent Soul, UK, 1994)
NTR songs: Ruby Lee, You Are My Sun Sign (Part 1), Handle with Care, Can't Go On Living

Notes: "Sun Sign" is edited to 3 minutes here compared to about 4:30 on the vinyl single. That might explain the "Part 1" in the title, which I have never seen labeled as such anywhere else. "Handle with Care" is actually the song "Care" which is on the VMP album. Several compilations have this mistake, which seems to stem from a Ben Aiken song that is indeed called "Handle with Care" and often is found alongside NTR in these compilations.

Deeper in the Philly Groove (Kent Soul, UK, 1999)
NTR songs: Laugh to Keep from Crying, McBride's Daughter, Never Too Late

Notes: Well, if a-b lost her argument and "McBride's Daughter" had gotten left off the VMP release, we could at least have sought it out from here. (y) "Never Too Late" also made the VMP cut.

Philly ReGrooved - Tom Moulton Remixes (Harmless, UK, 2010)
NTR songs: Ruby Lee

Notes: Oh hey, the Father of the Remix did a whole series of remix albums shortly before Philly Groove's assets were sold, and in them he did a remix for exactly one NTR song: "Ruby Lee." It's basically an extended mix with a long instrumental intro and outro that adds about two minutes to the song. Makes you kind of want to put on some roller skates and zip around a roller rink. Here it is:

Philly Groove - Early Singles (P-Vine Records, Japan, 1994)
NTR songs: Ruby Lee, You are My Sun Sign, Can't Go On Livin', Never too Late, Laugh to Keep from Crying, Care, The Robot Part 1, The Robot Part 2

Notes: WOW! Eight songs, both released and unreleased. "Sun Sign" is still edited but the obvious highlights are those last two songs. We've found our two-song suite! We just had to import a 25-year-old compilation released exclusively in Japan for it lmao

So anyways The Robot is a mostly instrumental jam that is divided into two tracks, each about two and a half minutes long. It's kind of like it was actually a single song that was split in half for the A and B sides of a 7" that never came to fruition.

I didn't find part two on YouTube, but you get the gist. It's interesting to note the above video has a copyright claim by Reservoir Media, so hey, maybe they will be doing something more with this.

So in conclusion:

-Six Nat Turner Rebellion songs were left off the album/7" single
-Three can be found elsewhere
-Three are still missing
-There's an extended version of "Ruby Lee" by Tom Moulton out there too if that's your thing
-I spent too much time and money finding this out :oops:

Anyways, today I return with a small update. No, I haven't found the three missing songs, but in my previous post I noted that "You are My Sun Sign" has an extended version that most compilations don't use, and that I couldn't find "The Robot Part 2" on YouTube.

So without further ado, here's the original, full-length "You are My Sun Sign":

And here is a complete version of "The Robot," with parts 1 and 2 seamlessly spliced together through magic. Magic is what I call my 15-year-old version of CoolEdit that I still use to this day.

So anyways, there you have it. Unfortunately, I think that's gonna be it unless Reservoir Media puts out any other songs. Their list of Nat Turner tracks includes everything mentioned above, but no other unreleased tracks. Here's hoping they put out an EP or two that completes the Nat Turner Rebellion discography.

Update 2: More on The Robot Parts 1 & 2!

Update 3: An alternate take of Can't Go On Livin' appears!

Update 4: RIP Joseph Jefferson

Update 5: VMP vs RSD 2020

Last edited:
The Robert Johnson documentary on Netflix touched on this and caused me to think about this differently than I had before. Back in the day having a connotation with 'the devil' or 'hoodoo' was very much against the grain of society, and the gospel association with music was developed as a part reaction to people that were going to see 'hoodoo' blues music in juke joints. The documentary is only an hour and well done to cover the myth of Robert Johnson and help explain how his Crossroads meeting with the devil might have come to be.

There’s a great radio lab episode about this. The crossroads story is actually about tommy Johnson. But a (White)blues historian thought it made a better story for Robert Johnson, and voila!

...I genuinely enjoy Christian music. If it's not overtly religious, then it's uplifting, soulful and positive. Hell, the Mavis store exclusive is gospel, and I loved that one.

And that's just where we differ; personally don't find it any of those things. I love a lot of the non-religious Mavis albums, and got the main one VMP reissued, but intentionally skipped the exclusive.

Very much aware of Rosetta's influence, as I stated, but that doesn't make listening to those specific songs any more palatable to me.

Last edited:
And that's just where we differ; personally don't find it any of those things. I love a lot of the non-religious Mavis albums, and got the main one VMP issued, but intentionally skipped the exclusive.

Very much aware of Rosetta's influence, as I stated, but that doesn't make listening to those specific songs any more palatable.
So, do you heavily research an artist and find out if any of their music was meant in any way to be religious, however ambiguous, before you consider listening to the music?

Gospel Train is badass, a great choice if that's it. And before you judge it, learn more about the woman behind the music.

Last edited:
And that's just where we differ; personally don't find it any of those things. I love a lot of the non-religious Mavis albums, and got the main one VMP issued, but intentionally skipped the exclusive.

Very much aware of Rosetta's influence, as I stated, but that doesn't make listening to those specific songs any more palatable.

I certainly won't tell you what to listen to, man. But you said you have every other Classics release, and you're avoiding this one solely because it's religious. I just don't see the point in that, but you do you.

Can someone remind we what happened with Nat Turner? I'm subscribed classics so I just automatically got it no trouble.

Can someone remind we what happened with Nat Turner? I'm subscribed classics so I just automatically got it no trouble.
They did not press enough for everyone who signed up

They did not press enough for everyone who signed up

And communication about the issue could have been better. Members who didn't get their Nat set were upset and expressed it to VMP. Then the Thanos Snap hit the VMP Forum this week and we all have a new home. I like to think of it as 'Natgame'.

I'd love to get my Nat notice too :(

Although they didn't even know they didn't send it to me. Wasn't in the box even though it said it was going to be.

Back