Vinyl Me Please Anthology

And not to pick nits here, but the idea these all came from 'pristine copies' is probably about 95% bullshit too. Not sure there exists a single pristine copy of any of these records in the entire world.
Yeah, Egon even said that doesn't exist, which is confusing. And don't get me wrong, I'm used to that being the case for hard to find African and Latin American reissues and comps. I love albums I have from Analog Africa and Soundway, etc. where they used rips. But, they would never try to pretend vinyl rips came from original masters. That is a complete lie and clearly the CS rep doesn't even understand what he is talking about.

I don't know why I still get worked up about it when they do it over and over again, just blows me away every time that they really have no fucking clue and no interest in knowing any better.

Yeah, Egon even said that doesn't exist, which is confusing. And don't get me wrong, I'm used to that being the case for hard to find African and Latin American reissues and comps. I love albums I have from Analog Africa and Soundway, etc. where they used rips. But, they would never try to pretend vinyl rips came from original masters. That is a complete lie and clearly the CS rep doesn't even understand what he is talking about.

I don't know why I still get worked up about it when they do it over and over again, just blows me away every time that they really have no fucking clue and no interest in knowing any better.

It's a record company that doesn't seem to understand how records are made.

So I sent in an email asking why Canada gets charged the same amount for shipping as the rest of the world.. and Tyler's response was that they only had two shipping options. Domestic or International.. and they're supposed to be a major retailer? Anyone even slightly familiar with Shopify knows you can literally set shipping costs for every single country in the world.

So I asked him to let me know when they go on sale as I may be interested in purchasing one then. He then told me they're already on sale... so the price is going up on these too? Jeebus.

So I sent in an email asking why Canada gets charged the same amount for shipping as the rest of the world.. and Tyler's response was that they only had two shipping options. Domestic or International.. and they're supposed to be a major retailer? Anyone even slightly familiar with Shopify knows you can literally set shipping costs for every single country in the world.

So I asked him to let me know when they go on sale as I may be interested in purchasing one then. He then told me they're already on sale... so the price is going up on these too? Jeebus.
Fwiw it cost me a little more to ship something to Canada recently than it did to Germany or the UK. It was a little heavier, so it may be about the same for the same weight.

Confused about this though...it is already on sale. You can purchase it already...Unless you mean when the price drops? It's the same as all the other anthologies. Pre-order price locked in for "cheaper" if you order up until a certain date. Then the price goes up to $300 or somethin. What's the issue?

Fwiw it cost me a little more to ship something to Canada recently than it did to Germany or the UK. It was a little heavier, so it may be about the same for the same weight.

Has the US shipping changed that much? Like.. we used to ship stuff to Canada for $8 while it costs $15-20 for the rest of the world.. but this was 7-8 years ago.

Confused about this though...it is already on sale. You can purchase it already...Unless you mean when the price drops? It's the same as all the other anthologies. Pre-order price locked in for "cheaper" if you order up until a certain date. Then the price goes up to $300 or somethin. What's the issue?

My point is.. they've probably barely sold any already and if they jack the prices, they're definitely not selling any more. At this point, they should be looking at discounting it more.

Has the US shipping changed that much? Like.. we used to ship stuff to Canada for $8 while it costs $15-20 for the rest of the world.. but this was 7-8 years ago.

My point is.. they've probably barely sold any already and if they jack the prices, they're definitely not selling any more. At this point, they should be looking at discounting it more.
It cost me $17 USD to send 1 LP to Canada a few months ago. Price has gone up since then because they have changed the weight limits to make it even lower.

It's been on sale for like 5 days? They are not going to discount it even further...With the coupon for being a past subscriber, it's down to $220 USD. It would make no sense as a business decision to panic and lower the price 5 days into it being on sale. They will offload any unsold copies to Acoustic Sounds like they did with Stax and others.

When you asked him to let you know when it will be on sale, I would have also taken it to mean "when can I purchase it?" so maybe that is what he is referring to. AFAIK, they have not done further discounts on any Anthology so far.

It cost me $17 USD to send 1 LP to Canada a few months ago. Price has gone up since then because they have changed the weight limits to make it even lower.

It's been on sale for like 5 days? They are not going to discount it even further...With the coupon for being a past subscriber, it's down to $220 USD. It would make no sense as a business decision to panic and lower the price 5 days into it being on sale. They will offload any unsold copies to Acoustic Sounds like they did with Stax and others.

When you asked him to let you know when it will be on sale, I would have also taken it to mean "when can I purchase it?" so maybe that is what he is referring to. AFAIK, they have not done further discounts on any Anthology so far.

Normally I'd agree with you but the fact of the matter is at least half of this box set will be available individually later this year. They've barely sold any copies so far at the 'discounted' price already.. and if they think they're going to sell more when they put the price up another $30-50, they're crazy.

It would make much more sense for them to acknowledge they fucked up on the price and drop it now to get people to buy it instead of waiting it out entirely and picking and choosing what they want from the individual releases.

I mean, I was a gung ho supporter for this anthology, but there is no fucking way I'm paying what they're asking for. Can't imagine casual Zamrock fans ponying up for that price at all.

I hate to say it, but I'd be more intrigued with this set if it were colored wax. Given the provenance and likelihood of repressing in the very near future, these seem like $20/record titles, not nearly $30 (with early discount and Stax discount code, to boot). I just can't justify handing over this type of cash per title just to have them come in a cute little box that I store away from the actual records anyway. The Stax and Motown boxes had the all-AAA going for them. These... do not, apparently. I'll just wait for the label to do their own pressings and cherry-pick from there.

EDIT: Looking at Rappcats, Now-Again label titles go from between approx $20 and $26, so ymmv on the value of the anthology. However, they have an 8-LP complete Lightmen box set for $90. Granted, no podcast, but it shows that this type of anthology could be done at a lower price point per title.

Last edited:
Back