Vinyl Me Please Anthology

This is one I think I can pass on and feel okay. I think I'll take what I was planning to spend on this and put it towards some Blue Notes since Blue Note is offering 30% off right now.

Normally I'd agree with you but the fact of the matter is at least half of this box set will be available individually later this year. They've barely sold any copies so far at the 'discounted' price already.. and if they think they're going to sell more when they put the price up another $30-50, they're crazy.

It would make much more sense for them to acknowledge they fucked up on the price and drop it now to get people to buy it instead of waiting it out entirely and picking and choosing what they want from the individual releases.

I mean, I was a gung ho supporter for this anthology, but there is no fucking way I'm paying what they're asking for. Can't imagine casual Zamrock fans ponying up for that price at all.
Just curious--how do you know how many they have sold outside of it not selling out yet? I understand it's frustrating especially for international subscribers, but the price point has been pretty consistent based on how many records are in each box. Right now, it's $220 shipped for an 8LP box for US customers with the coupon code for 8 records, so around $28 shipped per record. Not cheap, but also a bit in-line with a lot of LPs nowadays sadly. Now-Again charges $20-25 for non-limited 1LP albums plus shipping. I know there's the argument for box sets being cheaper than single LPs (i.e. the Black Fire box being $100 for 5LPs and $25 each separately). Not sure how much the Strawberry Rain LPs were in the past when they have been released, but prices have gone up overall in the last 2 years since they released their last record.

From what I've seen, we know at least some of these records will be repressed and likely available for $25 and under each. Don't believe all will be but we'll find out soon enough! I do think most people would be fine picking and choosing. The price point is definitely high, but they all have been. So I'm not sure if they have been very expensive to make or if they are just pricing it high to get a certain demographic. BN being the first one and having it sell out likely created a false sense of what people are willing to pay.

I also think it was an absolutely awful time for them to launch this with everything going on, not that they would have predicted it and this has been in the works for some time. Most people are not dropping $220+ on a box set with the unpredictability of everything going on. But it's a lot on them not knowing their audience (or trying to cater to too many people). If this was under $200, it would sell out more, but they seem to be willing to keep it at $220-$250. I agree raising it to $300 is gonna be stupid though. It's stoking FOMO-- "get it now for only $220 or have it go up to $300 soon!"

I hate to say it, but I'd be more intrigued with this set if it were colored wax. Given the provenance and likelihood of repressing in the very near future, these seem like $20/record titles, not nearly $30 (with early discount and Stax discount code, to boot). I just can't justify handing over this type of cash per title just to have them come in a cute little box that I store away from the actual records anyway. The Stax and Motown boxes had the all-AAA going for them. These... do not, apparently. I'll just wait for the label to do their own pressings and cherry-pick from there.

EDIT: Looking at Rappcats, Now-Again label titles go from between approx $20 and $26, so ymmv on the value of the anthology. However, they have an 8-LP complete Lightmen box set for $90. Granted, no podcast, but it shows that this type of anthology could be done at a lower price point per title.

I mean, we all know the anthology releases are WAY over priced. I think they got away with it early on on the strength of marketing, FOMO, and getting big name labels (BN, Motown, Stax). But I suspect it's going to be harder for them moving forward, especially when it's clear that the "experience" part of the whole thing is entirely phoned in.

I'm happy with the three anthologies I kept, and happy I sold the Ghostly. I'm also happy I'm passing on this one. I'll probably bite on another antho in the future, but they're going to have to either get some fantastic fucking titles, or drastically lower the price to get me to bite on something I'm iffy about.

If this was under $200, it would sell out more, but they seem to be willing to keep it at $220-$250. I agree raising it to $300 is gonna be stupid though. It's stoking FOMO-- "get it now for only $220 or have it go up to $300 soon!"

Exactly why I was saying it would make sense to have colored vinyl -- something to differentiate these pressings from what will most likely be more widely-available than just the slipcase. I buy a lot of records, fairly impulsively, and I just can't see the incentive to pick up this set given these circumstances.

I'll probably bite on another antho in the future, but they're going to have to either get some fantastic fucking titles, or drastically lower the price to get me to bite on something I'm iffy about.
The big issue is they are trying to cater to too many different customer demographics. They are going after the people who know nothing about Zam Rock but it's too expensive for that and the extra materials aren't worth the extra pricing, then they are also trying to go after the high-end customers with rare titles, but they seem to be pressing most of the albums in a year or so so things aren't exclusive. It's all over the place.

Just curious--how do you know how many they have sold outside of it not selling out yet? I understand it's frustrating especially for international subscribers, but the price point has been pretty consistent based on how many records are in each box. Right now, it's $220 shipped for an 8LP box for US customers with the coupon code for 8 records, so around $28 shipped per record. Not cheap, but also a bit in-line with a lot of LPs nowadays sadly. Now-Again charges $20-25 for non-limited 1LP albums plus shipping. I know there's the argument for box sets being cheaper than single LPs (i.e. the Black Fire box being $100 for 5LPs and $25 each separately). Not sure how much the Strawberry Rain LPs were in the past when they have been released, but prices have gone up overall in the last 2 years since they released their last record.

From what I've seen, we know at least some of these records will be repressed and likely available for $25 and under each. Don't believe all will be but we'll find out soon enough! I do think most people would be fine picking and choosing. The price point is definitely high, but they all have been. So I'm not sure if they have been very expensive to make or if they are just pricing it high to get a certain demographic. BN being the first one and having it sell out likely created a false sense of what people are willing to pay.

I also think it was an absolutely awful time for them to launch this with everything going on, not that they would have predicted it and this has been in the works for some time. Most people are not dropping $220+ on a box set with the unpredictability of everything going on. But it's a lot on them not knowing their audience (or trying to cater to too many people). If this was under $200, it would sell out more, but they seem to be willing to keep it at $220-$250. I agree raising it to $300 is gonna be stupid though. It's stoking FOMO-- "get it now for only $220 or have it go up to $300 soon!"

I took a guess. Never seen as many discount codes shared before on any release anywhere. Also the shockingly low number of people who said they bought one. Also, Zamrock is not something that appeals to most of VMP's audience.. look at how well Wells Fargo was received (and that one actually tempted me to sign up for the service).

Secondly, the number of people I know who are really into Zamrock who's attitude towards VMP could be summed up quite eloquently as "Fuck them".

Thirdly, with the announcement that most of these titles will be released individually (if not all of them).. why would anyone who isn't sure sign up for all 8? Especially when you can pick and choose later on and more than likely those individual records will still be cheaper than the boxset. Yeah, they might miss out on the book.. but I, and many others, buy records for the music on them.. not for the accompanying boxset and book. Podcasts and documentary will all be publicly available sooner rather than later.

So what is the selling point at all for these? Like.. I'm mystified how they handled this other than they were hoping to keep it under wrpas that all these titles would be released later this year.

I took a guess. Never seen as many discount codes shared before on any release anywhere. Also the shockingly low number of people who said they bought one. Also, Zamrock is not something that appeals to most of VMP's audience.. look at how well Wells Fargo was received (and that one actually tempted me to sign up for the service).

Secondly, the number of people I know who are really into Zamrock who's attitude towards VMP could be summed up quite eloquently as "Fuck them".

Thirdly, with the announcement that most of these titles will be released individually (if not all of them).. why would anyone who isn't sure sign up for all 8? Especially when you can pick and choose later on and more than likely those individual records will still be cheaper than the boxset. Yeah, they might miss out on the book.. but I, and many others, buy records for the music on them.. not for the accompanying boxset and book. Podcasts and documentary will all be publicly available sooner rather than later.

So what is the selling point at all for these? Like.. I'm mystified how they handled this other than they were hoping to keep it under wrpas that all these titles would be released later this year.
I saw a TON of Stax discount codes but again, it's just anecdotal for me. That one also didn't sell out.

As for the people whose attitude toward VMP is "fuck VMP", I think that's a large majority of the population by now haha. They have a really bad rep, rightfully so.

I also assume that just about every record will be repressed at one point or another so I'm not shocked that at least a few of these will be repressed. I know some people who are buying it because they don't think ALL will be repressed and they simply want all the albums. So sure, you're spending probably $30 or so more in the US over buying them individually if they are priced at what most Now-Again records are priced at.

I do overall agree with most of what ya say despite some of my responses. They don't know who this is for and it has been the issue for every box set they have done maybe outside of Blue Note which already had a huge built-in fanbase, included 1 album that has never been on vinyl before and most of the albums are not currently in print elsewhere and clean used copies are way more $$.

VMP has become more and more sketchy lately with everything and it's hard to think that it's incompetence instead of willful deception. I probably would not have been made about it not being AAA had they said it up front. As I think we have both said, there are a lot of Zam Rock reissues that are NOT from the original master tapes since most don't exist anymore. But just the idea that they misled people about it is really annoying, as is the fact that most will be reissued later on.

I saw a TON of Stax discount codes but again, it's just anecdotal for me. That one also didn't sell out.

As for the people whose attitude toward VMP is "fuck VMP", I think that's a large majority of the population by now haha. They have a really bad rep, rightfully so.

I also assume that just about every record will be repressed at one point or another so I'm not shocked that at least a few of these will be repressed. I know some people who are buying it because they don't think ALL will be repressed and they simply want all the albums. So sure, you're spending probably $30 or so more in the US over buying them individually if they are priced at what most Now-Again records are priced at.

I do overall agree with most of what ya say despite some of my responses. They don't know who this is for and it has been the issue for every box set they have done maybe outside of Blue Note which already had a huge built-in fanbase, included 1 album that has never been on vinyl before and most of the albums are not currently in print elsewhere and clean used copies are way more $$.

VMP has become more and more sketchy lately with everything and it's hard to think that it's incompetence instead of willful deception. I probably would not have been made about it not being AAA had they said it up front. As I think we have both said, there are a lot of Zam Rock reissues that are NOT from the original master tapes since most don't exist anymore. But just the idea that they misled people about it is really annoying, as is the fact that most will be reissued later on.

I think the Stax set was just boring so people skipped.. plus the idea that any title will be exclusive to the boxset is just long gone.

And as for the Fuck Them people, I was referring more to the heavier collectors who are really into stuff like Zamrock. Like even some rap people who I've tried to tell them to cop VMP reissues (that Goodie Mob record should be in every hip-hop person's collection), basically think VMP is about the corniest thing possible and will never support them. Same for the Zamrock crowd (or at least the ones I've spoken to).. and I mean, I'm not even really a fan of VMP so the fact that I'm going to bat for them on some releases I think speaks even more of their quality to the people I speak to about them.

But I mean, it's also hard to tell with the price.. Now Again has that 8LP boxset for $90. What if we get the 4 Now Again titles in a Now Again Boxset for $70-80 40-50? Likewise with Strawberry Rain but I think we're more likely to see those released individually.

And yeah, I honestly figured most of them would be sourced from records and for this kinda stuff, have absolutely 0 problem with that. I was floored when someone posted the original 'all 8 sourced from the original tapes'.. Like, they couldn't even find the tapes for those Witch records recorded for a major label but somehow found the demo / private press version tapes? Ho-ly shit.

And the fact they just kinda removed it (but not really, cause it's still referenced in another part of the page) is just scummy, period. They should send out an email to everyone who signed up for the anthology to make sure nobody is under the wrong impression. Will they do that? Of course not.

Last edited:
But I mean, it's also hard to tell with the price.. Now Again has that 5LP boxset for $90. What if we get the 4 Now Again titles in a Now Again Boxset for $70-80? Likewise with Strawberry Rain but I think we're more likely to see those released individually.

If you're quoting me on the Now Again Lightmen boxset mentioned above, it is actually EIGHT LPS for $90! Granted, it is sold out, but there are copies on Discogs for $85 and up.

If you're quoting me on the Now Again Lightmen boxset mentioned above, it is actually EIGHT LPS for $90! Granted, it is sold out, but there are copies on Discogs for $85 and up.

Thank you, edited it to reflect my rant properly.

It's also weird to see the Reddit sub shit all over the Now Again releases... like you, i think those (or as you mentioned the Mr. Bongo stuff) are some of the most interesting things they've done to date.

Yea that's a great deal. 4 2xLPs. Cool albums too. The Black Fire box is $100 for 5 LPS and you essentially get one for free based on the individual pricing ($25 each separately). I don't think any of us are saying that the VMP one is a bargain by any stretch. I think they are refusing to give the discount that most box sets do though over buying albums individually. Even if this was priced at $200 flat, I think more people would buy it.

It's also weird to see the Reddit sub shit all over the Now Again releases... like you, i think those (or as you mentioned the Mr. Bongo stuff) are some of the most interesting things they've done to date.
Not sure specifically what you're referring to in terms of people shitting on it as I haven't looked at the subreddit lately, but I agree with ya--I love the Mr. Bongo and Now-Again stuff. But I feel like the majority of those have been reissued by Mr. Bongo and Now-Again on their own at a later date right? Kind of the same thing going on with this box set...And Oriental Jazz was extremely divisive.

I've never understood the idea of VMP's that people should pay more per LP for a 6-8 LP box set than individually. Blue Note made some sense, but the follow ups have made less and less. I would have been all over this box at $150, which is what it should have retailed at.

Anybody recommend a single Zamrock album I can pick up now? I know Now Again has the compilation. I don’t usually like comps but maybe that’s the one I should pick up.

Since I suddenly have free time, going through the Women of Motown Anthology again. Couple duds in there but the Badu album is REALLY good. Biggest "surprise" like of mine in the set.

Since I suddenly have free time, going through the Women of Motown Anthology again. Couple duds in there but the Badu album is REALLY good. Biggest "surprise" like of mine in the set.

What are your duds? For me it was Tata Vega and Teena Marie. Syreeta was my surprise hit.

Back