Upcoming/Recent Shows

IMG_20190528_224657_573.jpg

Incredible show from Apocalyptica tonight in Washington, DC! They're touring for the 20th anniversary of their debut album Plays Metallica By Four Cellos. Naturally, the show was all Metallica covers.

There were two sets. The first set was the album as originally recorded. The second set was more Metallica songs, but with drums (played by the incredible Mikko Siren).

What a show! I've waited years to see Apocalyptica, and this was worth the wait! Hope to catch them on a show where they're playing their own material next!

I'm never coming off the cloud I'm on right now

IDLES/Fontaines DC (at Neumos, Seattle) was easily one of the very best if not THE best show I have seen in quite some time! Then after that I dragged my ass out of bed to sit inside KEXP all morning and secure a spot for a free 30 minute set IDLES did in the gathering space - pretty awesome encore to an incredible night before, and even that set had a bonus song!

Really great set from Fontaines DC to open up the night. Their debut record is prolly gonna be on my best of 2019 list and it was really exciting to see them perform those songs live - plus I nabbed the drum stick they threw in the crowd and they all signed it at the end of the night!!!!! Looking forward to seeing them again, I think they're in Portland in September.

20190528_212238.jpg

IDLES was just so incredibly powerful and moving and just like, the way people who are scared of rock shows might describe a rock show to you as a child but it would only wanna make you go to it more. Lots of crowd surfing from both guitarists, at one point 2 girls from the crowd ended up with their guitars on stage while Lee and Bobo wandered around the crowd with their mic's. Sometimes the guitars would go crowd surfing seemingly without guitarist attached! Jon on drums and Dev on bass are a solid crew tho (Jon hits those drums SO FUCKING HARD, too) so there is some organization amidst the chaos. Fontaines DC came back out at one point and challenged the crowd to keep them in the air for one entire song and I think we did it? At one point all 5 of them were up! Then one of the Fontaines guitarists climbed the balcony railing, and whether he was gonna try to jump into the crowd or not we donno, but a HUGE security dude grabbed him after like 10-15 seconds maybe and pulled him over the railing and back onto the balcony! Joe of course is an amazing frontman, super engaged with the crowd, pulling people on stage and giving hugs. Lots of sweat and spit and smashed instruments. The KEXP set was no joke either! Definitely broke a good sweat at that one, too. Full video will be up in a couple months on the KEXP youtube, I'm sure, there was definitely a camera crew.

20190529_133508.jpg

Also waited at load out afterwards to profess my admiration for the band as they took a photo and signed my "Danny Nedelko" 45 :D Any photos I tried for at both shows were at best questionable given how intense the crowd was-difficult for the phone to focus on anything! I did grab a few pretty sweet video clips (my 2 favs both being from "Danny Nedelko" here and here) that I think capture the energy.

After that, my concert calendar is empty for the moment, but the bar has been set rrrrrrrrrrrreal fuckin high for the next one!

20190529_065505.jpgIMG_20190529_213624_797.jpg

Galactic is about to go on their annual huge U.S. tour. We get pretty spoiled down here, but to anyone that hasn't seen these guys live...I highly suggest it. These dudes do it all. From Funk & Soul to Hip Hop to Traditional Jazz.

This scene from Treme says it all...

Saw Sunflower Bean play a 1 a.m. set. It was pretty rad. Here's an uncomfortably close photo of Julia Cumming.

PZellC8.png

So Nathaniel Raitliffe is sick or his ears are hurt or something, so Grace VanderWaal opened for Florence + the Machine tonight. A lot of energy there. She should play the ukulele more on stage though. Morgan and I are celebrating her Birthday tomorrow. And tomorrow night we are seeing Thundercat, noname and Anderson .Paak. Yup, my kid’s pretty cool.

Last edited:
So Nathaniel Raitliffe is sick or his ears are hurt or something, so Grace VanderWaal opened for Florence + the Machine tonight. A lot of energy thee. She should play the ukulele more on stage though. Morgan and I are celebrating her Birthday tomorrow. And tomorrow nights we are seeing Thundercat, noname and Anderson .Paak. Yup, my kid’s pretty cool.

Luckyyy! I love Grace! I'd love to see her live! She has an incredible voice! I have seen Florence though, and she's amazing live!

Sam Cohen with Kevin Morby last night. Sam was amazing and I wholeheartedly recommend his newest record.

IMG_20190605_203900.jpg

After a very short break, almost the entire band came back (minus the bassist), including Cohen, as Morby's backing band. And they fucking killed it. I've been pretty lukewarm on his new album, Oh My God, but hearing a lot of those songs in a full band, guitar-based setting (the album is a more piano affair) was great. The sound was well mixed and the band was tight as hell, especially the sax and flute player. Played a lot of the new album, then closed out the set with three rippers from Singing Saw. Asked for Raptors score updates throughout.

IMG_20190605_210151.jpg

For his encore he played a couple oldies, Parade and Harlem River. In a Kawhi Raptors shirsey. Fantastic show, definitely the best of the three times I've seen him.

IMG_20190605_222259.jpg

Back