U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

a stylus swap is so easy. Much easier than a cartridge swap. There are two tabs sticking out You use these to pull out the old stylus and then just push the new one back in Its place. There are videos online.

Thanks for your response. I guess in my mind, I’ll either pull too hard, or not pull hard enough or damage the stylus somehow.

It’s too bad none of you live near me, If so, I would be glad to pay you to do it lol

Taking a look at one video on YouTube that I think a lot of people use, the person’s fingers kind of get in the way.

Thanks for your response. I guess in my mind, I’ll either pull too hard, or not pull hard enough or damage the stylus somehow.

It’s too bad none of you live near me, If so, I would be glad to pay you to do it lol

Taking a look at one video on YouTube that I think a lot of people use, the person’s fingers kind of get in the way.

you shouldn’t damage the stylus. It is mounted on a piece of plastic and it is that which you are pulling out. You need to use a decent amount of force because it’s well jammed in. What I do is use my left hand to hold the headshell still and and finger and a thumb on the two tab. I then work it out In a sort of gentle rocking/wiggling whilst using the force necessary. The new one then just pushes back in. I know there is worry with anything like this but it is really one of the easiest fix jobs that you can do on a tt, there is nothing really to mess up.

Last edited:
I just got my turntable today but I’m running into an issue. My motor pulley is spinning counterclockwise instead of clockwise, causing the record to play in reverse. At first I thought it was my cartridge but then I tested it on my fluance and it played like normal. Then I switched the belt to the 45rpm setting and the motor pulley was fluttering. Should I request a new belt? Or is my table/motor defective?

I just got my turntable today but I’m running into an issue. My motor pulley is spinning counterclockwise instead of clockwise, causing the record to play in reverse. At first I thought it was my cartridge but then I tested it on my fluance and it played like normal. Then I switched the belt to the 45rpm setting and the motor pulley was fluttering. Should I request a new belt? Or is my table/motor defective?

Sounds like a capacitor for the motor is bad. You need tech support.

Keep playing backwards and let us know if there are any cool -bizarre messages!

for changing a cartridge on it do you mostly just put it on and then moving the weight until the tracking force is correct or do you have to make sure the tonearm is balanced and that stuff

for changing a cartridge on it do you mostly just put it on and then moving the weight until the tracking force is correct or do you have to make sure the tonearm is balanced and that stuff

I'm assuming you've already checked alignment with a protractor and made sure the cartridge is on straight, etc.

With that out of the way, if you have a digital scale, you can do the former. If you don't, you have to zero the tonearm to calibrate the counterweight and then twist it to the desired position.

I'm assuming you've already checked alignment with a protractor and made sure the cartridge is on straight, etc.

With that out of the way, if you have a digital scale, you can do the former. If you don't, you have to zero the tonearm to calibrate the counterweight and then twist it to the desired position.
The tone arm is fixed on the u-turn. The counterweight doesn’t have a dial, it slides back and fourth. It’s actually the only thing I dislike about the table, getting an exact vtf is maddening. I just aim for the range.

Once cart is aligned, yes. You should recheck alignment after you have set the vtf.

With that out of the way, if you have a digital scale, you can do the former.
I plan on buying a digital scale (I am pretty sure they are like 10 bucks) so I'll just have to move the weight towards the recommended tracking force and not have to do the confusing balancing of the tonearn like with more professional turntables.. im mostly nervous because of the antiskate being bad

I plan on buying a digital scale (I am pretty sure they are like 10 bucks) so I'll just have to move the weight towards the recommended tracking force and not have to do the confusing balancing of the tonearn like with more professional turntables.. im mostly nervous because of the antiskate being bad
One quick note about scales. I always peel the protective plastic wrap off my electronics as soon as I get them. The scale I got came with that plastic wrap on the pressure plate. I should have left it there because my UTurn's anti-skate keeps shifting the needle. I think the plastic would have held it in place.

One quick note about scales. I always peel the protective plastic wrap off my electronics as soon as I get them. The scale I got came with that plastic wrap on the pressure plate. I should have left it there because my UTurn's anti-skate keeps shifting the needle. I think the plastic would have held it in place.
Does the plate have a dimple in it for the stylus to sit?

My custom arrived yesterday and I assembled it today. Have not connected it. As of today we are babysitting a 3 month old white lab that belongs to my stepdaughter and her husband as they're going out of town. We have 3 dogs of our own and this puppy has thrown a wrench in the cogs of life at our house. Where I want to set up the turntable is the same room the dogs are relegated to as it gets near 100 degrees outside at our central Texas home.

Maybe this evening or tomorrow morning it'll get set up. Ultimately I want a 1x4 Kallax to set it on after attaching legs to the bottom to lift it off the ground. I fear this weekend is shot because PUPPY. Not what I wanted but it is what my wife wanted.

BTW, I got the belt on in about 8 seconds without turning the power on, just did it with both hands. Apparently I'm a miracle worker. Maybe just sorcery.

Back