U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

You guys really prefer bluejeans cables

I was planning on the evergreens by audioquest that uturn sells for under msrp

I think the thing with the blue jeans is that as you’re buying direct you get fantastic bang for buck in relation to buying cables that a manufacturer, distributor and dealer all have to make money on. The other thing is that their main selling point is excellent shielding which is never more important than when transmitting a low voltage signal such as that from a tonearm to a phono stage. The build quality is also pretty exceptional. That’s not to say that there aren’t better options out there, there are, but they cost exponentially more and may not be worth it for a u turn.

I think the thing with the blue jeans is that as you’re buying direct you get fantastic bang for buck in relation to buying cables that a manufacturer, distributor and dealer all have to make money on. The other thing is that their main selling point is excellent shielding which is never more important than when transmitting a low voltage signal such as that from a tonearm to a phono stage. The build quality is also pretty exceptional. That’s not to say that there aren’t better options out there, there are, but they cost exponentially more and may not be worth it for a u turn.
I'm on record saying blue jeans cables solved my hum issue. Very pleased with them. The value is definitely there for me.

I originally bought an Orbit + about 4 years ago to use occasionally as a 2nd player but since i'm working more from home the last year especially i've been using it probably more then my main so i'd like to upgrade it since i'm overdue anyways. I have the older unipivot tonearm and I believe an AT95 cartridge (it's green and shaped identically but does not have any of the audio technica labeling on it).

I was thinking about just doing the logical upgrade to the Ortofon 2M Blue but then seen that the GRADO Prestige Gold3 is not much more and i'd love to test that out. Has anyone tried it on a U turn yet here?

I haven't done a ton of research yet but was hoping to get some opinions on if anyone has used the above or even a different cartridge that's a solid upgrade?

I originally bought an Orbit + about 4 years ago to use occasionally as a 2nd player but since i'm working more from home the last year especially i've been using it probably more then my main so i'd like to upgrade it since i'm overdue anyways. I have the older unipivot tonearm and I believe an AT95 cartridge (it's green and shaped identically but does not have any of the audio technica labeling on it).

I was thinking about just doing the logical upgrade to the Ortofon 2M Blue but then seen that the GRADO Prestige Gold3 is not much more and i'd love to test that out. Has anyone tried it on a U turn yet here?

I haven't done a ton of research yet but was hoping to get some opinions on if anyone has used the above or even a different cartridge that's a solid upgrade?
@Joe Mac went from a 2m Blue to a Grado Gold2 and was impressed. Maybe he will chime in.

I’m running a Grado Gold3 and love it.

Thanks,
@Joe Mac went from a 2m Blue to a Grado Gold2 and was impressed. Maybe he will chime in.

Appreciate the reply. That's all great to hear!

I also just found out since I have the older tonearm (By just a few months of course) it supposedly only has a stock counterweight of up to 6g which wouldn't work for the 2m Blue (7.2g) while the Gold3 should be a good fit without any additional tweaking at only 5.5g.

Def. has me leaning even more towards that Gold3 then before now, thank you sir.

Thanks,

Appreciate the reply. That's all great to hear!

I also just found out since I have the older tonearm (By just a few months of course) it supposedly only has a stock counterweight of up to 6g which wouldn't work for the 2m Blue (7.2g) while the Gold3 should be a good fit without any additional tweaking at only 5.5g.

Def. has me leaning even more towards that Gold3 then before now, thank you sir.
Regarding the counterweight- UTurn will supply a small magnetic weight that sticks on the rear of your current weight to allow for heavier cartridges. I believe it’s free for the asking.

To me, the Grado is the better move. You’ll get better sound quality. Also, Grado replacement styli cost less ($150 for the Gold3) or you can actually upgrade the stylus to the 8MZ for the same $150.

Yes! My table had a red and I upgraded it to a blue before then going to the gold 2.

So the red was trash. I liked the blue a lot. I found though that when I upgraded my amplifier that it seemed to emphasise the blues worst characteristics. I wasn’t happy anymore with the way it handled the highs.

The gold 2 did not retrieve the detail that the blue did and it had perhaps a shade narrower of a soundstage. Where it made up for it was in tone, it just sounded so much better. Where the Grado really shone was when, after the year, I put the 8mz stylus on it and it retained its stellar stone but also became equal to the blue on soundstage and detail.

That said I’ve since put on the opus 3 and it’s streets ahead of both on all of those things!

Last edited:
Yes! My table had a red and I upgraded it to a blue before then going to the gold 2.

So the red was trash. I liked the blue a lot. I found though that when I upgraded my amplifier that it seemed to emphasise the blues worst characteristics. I wasn’t happy anymore with the way it handled the highs.

The gold 2 did not retrieve the detail that the blue did and it had perhaps a shade narrower of a soundstage. Where it made up for it was in tone, it just sounded so much better. Where the Grado really shone was when, after the year, I put the 8mz stylus on it and it retained its stellar stone but also became equal to the blue on soundstage and detail.

That said I’ve since put on the opus 3 and it’s streets ahead of both on all of those things!

This is such a great rundown, @Joe Mac! It took my 8MZ a little bit longer to break in than other styli I have experience with, but once it settled in, man....

Got me psyched to try an Opus one day. @AnthonyI have you ever tried yours on your PLX? I know it lives on your UD. Curious if it’d play ball with that table. I know it’s a massive cartridge.

Last edited:
This is such a great rundown, Joe! It took my 8MZ a little bit longer to break in than other styli I have experience with, but once it settled in, man....

Got me psyched to try an Opus one day. @AnthonyI have you ever tried yours on your PLX? I know it lives on your UD. Curious if it’d play ball with that table. I know it’s a massive cartridge.
I haven't, for some reason I have this mental block with putting a wood cart on the PLX, I couldn't tell you why, lol. With two setups I'm trying to have a little rhyme and reason to them and carts are probably the biggest variable in that process.

Maybe we'll give it a try when the Opus get's close to it's trade in time ;)

for some reason I have this mental block with putting a wood cart on the PLX, I couldn't tell you why

Thats why I asked - I naturally feel that, too! Haha. Like, it just doesn’t seem.... right? Like it commands a big ol’ 10” arm.

Then again, @Joe Mac is running on a Carbon arm with great results! So there’s likely no logical reason why it couldn’t!

This is such a great rundown, @Joe Mac! It took my 8MZ a little bit longer to break in than other styli I have experience with, but once it settled in, man....

There shouldn’t be an issue with the Opus on the PLX-1000.

A lot of great information, appreciate all the replies! Each of you kind of giving me some great tidbits on different things that has me still leaning towards the gold3 but kind of thinking about the opus now as well.

I seen the weight of the opus3 at 8g which early on I just kind of figured was a bit further of an upgrade then I should contemplate for the Orbit but would this magnet provided by U turn give me a good enough foundation to really think about spending the money and going that route? I fell in love with the look of this cartridge seeing Mr. @Joe Mac posting that sexy thang in the now playing section the last while. I'm gonna look more into this as well to get a bit more familiar with it as I just never pictured it on a U Turn table.

I really like the ability to do an upgrade/replacement at only $150 since I see myself using this table quite a bit now going forward, especially after a huge upgrade in cartridges. I couldn't find any information on the opus3 regarding this route but just looking at pictures of it i'm guessing it's more of a one and done once the stylus gets to the end of its life?

On a somewhat unrelated note has anyone replaced the cheap dust cover on these Orbit's with something better? I feel like the table deserves a better cover if I go this route but have never seen any other options out there.

A lot of great information, appreciate all the replies! Each of you kind of giving me some great tidbits on different things that has me still leaning towards the gold3 but kind of thinking about the opus now as well.

I seen the weight of the opus3 at 8g which early on I just kind of figured was a bit further of an upgrade then I should contemplate for the Orbit but would this magnet provided by U turn give me a good enough foundation to really think about spending the money and going that route? I fell in love with the look of this cartridge seeing Mr. @Joe Mac posting that sexy thang in the now playing section the last while. I'm gonna look more into this as well to get a bit more familiar with it as I just never pictured it on a U Turn table.

I really like the ability to do an upgrade/replacement at only $150 since I see myself using this table quite a bit now going forward, especially after a huge upgrade in cartridges. I couldn't find any information on the opus3 regarding this route but just looking at pictures of it i'm guessing it's more of a one and done once the stylus gets to the end of its life?

On a somewhat unrelated note has anyone replaced the cheap dust cover on these Orbit's with something better? I feel like the table deserves a better cover if I go this route but have never seen any other options out there.
The Opus doesn't have a user replaceable styli, but, you can send your "Used" Opus when it's time in for a trade in credit of 30%, so you'll get a replacement for $192.50 ;)

The Opus weighs too much for the Uturn arm. I have also heard that it would likely be diminishing returns going above the Gold3/2m Blue/etc. on the table. I defer to those who may know more, but that's what I recall when I did the research myself when I upgraded.

The Opus weighs too much for the Uturn arm. I have also heard that it would likely be diminishing returns going above the Gold3/2m Blue/etc. on the table. I defer to those who may know more, but that's what I recall when I did the research myself when I upgraded.

Yeah, that would make sense. It seems like it's a bit higher level then for a U Turn table so maybe I should save the Opus line for another day. Gold3 with that eventual upgrade to the 8mz is looking like the clear winner plus it'll be nice and easy.

Thanks for all the help/suggestions from everyone in here! Just officially bought the Gold3 tonight so looking forward to it!

Just a quick last question for people that have changed cartridges on a U turn though. I did a search and seen that the Stevenson protractor was recommended. Did anyone successfully use this or have any problems and would recommend something else?

Thanks for all the help/suggestions from everyone in here! Just officially bought the Gold3 tonight so looking forward to it!

Just a quick last question for people that have changed cartridges on a U turn though. I did a search and seen that the Stevenson protractor was recommended. Did anyone successfully use this or have any problems and would recommend something else?
That’s exactly what you need. You are limited to Stevenson alignment with the first generation arm due to its 8.5” effective length. Other alignments require a longer arm- at least 9”.

legit important question, how do you change the antiskate, do i need to do like on the rega P1 and change it by disassembling the cartridge and then using the analog test LP, because i dont want there to be too little antiskate on a cartridge

legit important question, how do you change the antiskate, do i need to do like on the rega P1 and change it by disassembling the cartridge and then using the analog test LP, because i dont want there to be too little antiskate on a cartridge
You can’t

Back