U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

How old is your U Turn? Stevenson was for the older Unipivot arms. The U Turn one is for the newer tone. It actually looks pretty simple. I wish they made it for the older tone arm.
i have one thats like 2 years old

I know it's been a couple of months but U-turn has instructional stuff on their website, including: Installing Your Belt

As for the purple, they call it ultraviolet. I'm torn between that and getting the solid walnut. Also the red looks cool. So does the blue. And white. Maybe they should make a red, white and blue! I'd take a Texas or American flag. I wonder...

On the order page it says expect shipment June 22-26.

I'll pull the trigger and purchase here soon, upgrade from the old 80's Technics basic turntable.

I know it's been a couple of months but U-turn has instructional stuff on their website, including: Installing Your Belt

As for the purple, they call it ultraviolet. I'm torn between that and getting the solid walnut. Also the red looks cool. So does the blue. And white. Maybe they should make a red, white and blue! I'd take a Texas or American flag. I wonder...

I'll pull the trigger and purchase here soon, upgrade from the old 80's Technics basic turntable.
That solid walnut looks pretty classy!

And it's an extra $90. But it does look sweet.
I personally like the walnut or the red. I have a red Pro-ject TT as my "backup" in my living room and the splash of bright color is kinda nice since the rest of our furniture isn't super colorful. I think it all just depends on your preference/interior design of your room!

I did it. Now have to wait a month for it to arrive.

Walnut, acrylic, cue, stand alone Pluto... got the works. I'll look at a different preamp later, probably the Mofi StudioPhono or I may just be happy with the Pluto and leave it. My Yamaha amp doesn't have a phono input but I do have an older Sony that does. The Sony hums just turning it on so not going to use that, it powers the outside patio speakers anyway (I paid $20 for it, two speakers and a powered subwoofer!).

Now to get the Ikea Kallex before the Orbit arrives.

Walnut, acrylic, cue, stand alone Pluto... got the works. I'll look at a different preamp later, probably the Mofi StudioPhono or I may just be happy with the Pluto and leave it. My Yamaha amp doesn't have a phono input but I do have an older Sony that does. The Sony hums just turning it on so not going to use that, it powers the outside patio speakers anyway (I paid $20 for it, two speakers and a powered subwoofer!).

Which cartridge did you choose?

Exciting! Was smart to get a separate preamp and keep the upgrade path open. I only recently got a separate preamp (my amp had one built in) and I dig it so far! Grabbed the Musical Fidelity LX-LPS on sale from some member recommendations here (it's discontinued now I think).

Exciting! Was smart to get a separate preamp and keep the upgrade path open. I only recently got a separate preamp (my amp had one built in) and I dig it so far! Grabbed the Musical Fidelity LX-LPS on sale from some member recommendations here (it's discontinued now I think).
Agreed. A preamp can make one of the biggest difference in sound.

Oh yeah, got the Grado Black3 cartridge upgrade. Let them install it! I hear it's a pain. When that wears out maybe the Blue4 will be out, or Blue5. Who knows.

I had a Blue (2 I think?) on my old U-Turn. I think you'll be happy with the Grado/U-Turn pairing. Don't rule out just upgrading the stylus to an 8mz when the time comes as well. That's what I did on my Blue and it worked really well. Enjoy!

I had a Blue (2 I think?) on my old U-Turn. I think you'll be happy with the Grado/U-Turn pairing. Don't rule out just upgrading the stylus to an 8mz when the time comes as well. That's what I did on my Blue and it worked really well. Enjoy!

May I ask if it was difficult to switch? I have an orbit table with the Black one. It sounds good, but I’d like to upgrade soon.

Scared is probably too strong a word, but I would definitely be nervous upgrading on my own because I’d be afraid I would mess it up somehow.

May I ask if it was difficult to switch? I have an orbit table with the Black one. It sounds good, but I’d like to upgrade soon.

Scared is probably too strong a word, but I would definitely be nervous upgrading on my own because I’d be afraid I would mess it up somehow.

a stylus swap is so easy. Much easier than a cartridge swap. There are two tabs sticking out You use these to pull out the old stylus and then just push the new one back in Its place. There are videos online.

Totally agree with Joe Mac above. Could not be any simpler. Back when I made the change I had never changed out a stylus or cart before in my life and really is as simple as pulling out the old one and sliding the new one in. Definitely recommend just watching a quick video online first and you'll have it swapped out in a minute.

Totally agree with Joe Mac above. Could not be any simpler. Back when I made the change I had never changed out a stylus or cart before in my life and really is as simple as pulling out the old one and sliding the new one in. Definitely recommend just watching a quick video online first and you'll have it swapped out in a minute.
You can literally swap about a Grado stylus in a matter of seconds. But I agree with watching a video becaues it slides out at a downward angle and if you do it too hard you can damage it.

You can literally swap about a Grado stylus in a matter of seconds. But I agree with watching a video becaues it slides out at a downward angle and if you do it too hard you can damage it.

Exactly. And in my case, doing it for the first time, watching the video removed any concern I had about trying it. I was like "oh wait thats it, thats easy." :)

Back