U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

just wanna make sure i dont pay WAY too much for those up to the .0001st decimal place one

There is next to no difference tbh, there is a well known company cough Pro-Ject cough who sell one identical to the €7 I got for €80. Get one of the cheaper ones, they’re no worse at all.

Last edited:
And as I indicated, just don't peel any plastic wrap off the pressure plate. If I just followed that advice, I would say my $10 scale was perfect. As it is, I can only blame myself.

so is the 5 buck Baerwald alignment tool worthless and should just get something like a metal stevenson... i just dunno which would be the most useful for calibration.. i have the OA2 tonearm

Last edited:
There was a time when U-Turn indicated that their acrylic platter still needed a mat on it, has that changed, and more so how?
Do I need to put a mat on top of my turntable's platter?
The Orbit’s tonearm is optimized for use with a ⅛” thick platter mat. All of our turntables come with a standard ⅛” felt mat included. Some folks with acrylic platters prefer to forego the mat and instead place their records directly on the acrylic, which is totally fine.

so is the 5 buck Baerwald alignment tool worthless and should just get something like a metal stevenson... i just dunno which would be the most useful for calibration.. i have the OA2 tonearm
The OA2 is the updated tonearm that can use any alignment scheme. I've had good luck with a mirrored Baerwald tool with mine.

The OA2 is the updated tonearm that can use any alignment scheme. I've had good luck with a mirrored Baerwald tool with mine.
i just dunno if i should use the cheap one or a mirrored one or a geodisc or what

i just dunno if i should use the cheap one or a mirrored one or a geodisc or what
As long as the manufacturer didn't screw up, they'll all get it done. The geodisc sounds nice, apparently not requiring you to spin the platter back and forth. The mirrored one has been doing well for me, and I see no reason to replace it. At the cheapest extreme, you can print one and cut it out, but you'll need to measure it to verify it printed correctly and carefully cut out the hole for the spindle.

what upgrades beyond the cartridges and the platter mat can you do for the uturn, saw some isolation feet on sale but those seemed sus, sure you can upgrade the cables too, just wondering to make the most of my setup

what upgrades beyond the cartridges and the platter mat can you do for the uturn, saw some isolation feet on sale but those seemed sus, sure you can upgrade the cables too, just wondering to make the most of my setup
Beyond the cart and platter I wouldn't go crazy. Isolation is always good, I don't know what you're looking at, but maybe get something like the Vibrapod's so you can use them in the future. Cables as well, I wouldn't go over the top, a nice set of Blue Jean cables that can move up with your system would be solid ;)

If you don't have a cue lever I would get one of those, not so much for sound but to keep your stylus and records in good condition. Otherwise, I've done platter, platter mat, bluejeans cables, isolation (lots of little people running around), cart, weight. I'd say cue lever is the biggest one though.

You guys really prefer bluejeans cables

I was planning on the evergreens by audioquest that uturn sells for under msrp

Back