U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

It's easier to do while the platter is moving. There are some good youtube vids if I recall, either manually spinning it while you switch back, or just leaving the power on when you change. You can slide the cue lever out as well which helps if you're rotating it manually.
I successfully did this last night and I felt like a god damn wizard. Just some slight pressure while the platter was still spinning and "pop" it was done. The belt still had a little slack and took a sec to adjust, but I'd say the one second it took to attempt this beat the 5 minutes of frustration at trying to restring it around the platter.

Honestly replacing the belt had fixed this for me. The new replacement felt a lot tighter and was kind of a charcoal grey color than black. Sorry to hear that this didn't work for you.

Thanks for reminding me that my belt has been in the Freezer since Sunday. It just took me 5 minutes to place. Very frustraiting.

I have had a couple replacement belts over the year, but all have been black. Maybe I'll have more success if my next one is the grey color as well. Here's to hopeful thinking.

Thanks for reminding me that my belt has been in the Freezer since Sunday. It just took me 5 minutes to place. Very frustraiting.

I have had a couple replacement belts over the year, but all have been black. Maybe I'll have more success if my next one is the grey color as well. Here's to hopeful thinking.
I ordered mine about 2 months ago.

Something sounds off... Have you tried emailing uturn? I kind of wonder if maybe your platter is too small.

Baerwald - 66.0mm / 120.9mm
Attempts to make the distortion even across the entire record
Stevenson - 30.325mm / 117.42mm
Attempts to minimize inner groove distortion
Loefgren Alignment - 70.3mm / 116.6mm
Attempts to minimize distortion across the entire record

What is this one? I just remembered I had it from helping a friend.

View attachment 35149
Baerwald - 66.0mm / 120.9mm
Attempts to make the distortion even across the entire record
Stevenson - 30.325mm / 117.42mm
Attempts to minimize inner groove distortion
Loefgren Alignment - 70.3mm / 116.6mm
Attempts to minimize distortion across the entire record
Push comes to shove, you could bust out a ruler and draw new lines with a sharpie

What the heck... I thought I was posting this in the Grado thread where we were discussing this. Whoops!

Anyway, why wouldn't the old U-Turn arm align to this. I can get the stylus into both circles. But maybe there's more to it than that.

I'm going to get this thread started off with a question.

I'm looking for some advice for switching between 45 RPM and 33 RPM.

I currently have the U-Turn with an acrylic platter, and it's near impossible to set the belt into position. It just falls off the acrylic platter. Whenever I switch it to 45 RPM to spin a record I spend a few minutes fighting with it to replace the belt back on 33 RPM. And at times I just have to give up and put the belt in the freezer for 20 minutes and then try again where it's still a struggle.

Switching to 45 RPM is easy, I just use my finger to flip the belts position to the 45 RPM location. But when I try the same to move back to 33 RPM the belt just falls off the platter. I always make sure i'm rotating the plater by hand when I try to flip the belt. It never works.

I have replaced the belt thinking the one I have may be too loose. Same issue with a brand new belt.

Looking for some advice on how I can change the speed or replace the belt where it's not a fight that leaves by cursing at the the thing.

I love my U-Turn. But hate that I have so much trouble changing speeds that i'm dreading playing 45 RPM records.
I fought with this for awhile. I found that if I take it off the 45, hold it for a second and let it "shrink" before I put it back on the 33, it works fine. Then, I immediately turn the turntable on and even out the belt with my finger on the side of the platter

I love my U-Turn and rarely change to 45 but it's less of a hassle now and usually when I do, I will play several 45's in a row.

Going on 4 years with er'. I may upgrade when I move in a few years but works great for me as of now.

I tried to be clever last night. I kept a little tension on the belt, just enough so it wouldn't fall off with one finger and moved the belt to the 33 RPM position. I turn started to spin the platter after it was in position and slowly removed my finger holding the belt and watched the belt fall right off the platter.

Sighs.

I tried to be clever last night. I kept a little tension on the belt, just enough so it wouldn't fall off with one finger and moved the belt to the 33 RPM position. I turn started to spin the platter after it was in position and slowly removed my finger holding the belt and watched the belt fall right off the platter.

Sighs.
I would email them and tell them you've tried a couple belts and have this problem. Maybe also mention that someone said they got a belt recently from them that was more Gray in color and seemed to be better about this and see what they say.

I emailed them yesterday about a protractor question and heard back within the hour.

Really? I’ve always found my recorded voice gratingly annoying. I did do radio in college and absolutely hated my promo spots and voice checks so didn’t pursue.
I think everybody hates hearing their own voice when a recording is played back (unless they are a politician). Sometimes when I hear my voice recorded I think I sound like Kermit the Frog.

I would email them and tell them you've tried a couple belts and have this problem. Maybe also mention that someone said they got a belt recently from them that was more Gray in color and seemed to be better about this and see what they say.

I emailed them yesterday about a protractor question and heard back within the hour.

Just got a response from them.

They are sending me a replacement belt to see if it helps.

They also shared this youtube video:

They said to watch this YouTube video and tried this preferred technique. It doesn't work for me. I think they shared this same video with me 2 years ago.

Just got a response from them.

They are sending me a replacement belt to see if it helps.

They also shared this youtube video:

They said to watch this YouTube video and tried this preferred technique. It doesn't work for me. I think they shared this same video with me 2 years ago.
I thought that might be what they do. Hopefully the new belt is better. I should have also stated that I still don't have a 100% success rate with the new belt but it's much better.

After installing a Grado Blue3 and realizing my azimuth was off (see Grado thread for misadventures). I was album to straighten my headshell out but apparently I'm missing the screw that holds the headshell in place.

0309202145a_HDR.jpg

I'm guessing this is how it got off in the first place. UTurn is sending me a screw and hex key so hopefully it doesn't go off again.

But my headshell isn't particularly loose. How easy is yours when you take the screw out?

This is the older unipivot arm.

Back