U-Turn Turntables - Discussion, questions and advice.

I'm going to get this thread started off with a question.

I'm looking for some advice for switching between 45 RPM and 33 RPM.

I currently have the U-Turn with an acrylic platter, and it's near impossible to set the belt into position. It just falls off the acrylic platter. Whenever I switch it to 45 RPM to spin a record I spend a few minutes fighting with it to replace the belt back on 33 RPM. And at times I just have to give up and put the belt in the freezer for 20 minutes and then try again where it's still a struggle.

Switching to 45 RPM is easy, I just use my finger to flip the belts position to the 45 RPM location. But when I try the same to move back to 33 RPM the belt just falls off the platter. I always make sure i'm rotating the plater by hand when I try to flip the belt. It never works.

I have replaced the belt thinking the one I have may be too loose. Same issue with a brand new belt.

Looking for some advice on how I can change the speed or replace the belt where it's not a fight that leaves by cursing at the the thing.

I love my U-Turn. But hate that I have so much trouble changing speeds that i'm dreading playing 45 RPM records.

I know the problem has always been going back to 33 after spinning 45s. I gotta be honest, in all the time I had an Orbit, when I was done with 45s I would take the belt off the pulley, leave it off and go grab my next album. By the time I got back it had shrunk back and would go back on the pulley/platter without issue.

Side note, at $5 a pop, replace your belt annually 😉

For me, leaving the belt off doesn't help because even when I leave it off over night after spinning a 45 RPM doesn't make it any easier. It still takes minutes of fighting with it falling off while trying to place it. And at times I still give up and place it in the freezer.

Yes, I agree with replacing the belt annually. I last replaced it 6 months ago or so.

I struggled with it quite a bit the first few times but I got the hang of it . Def would recommend taking off the cue lever when switching if you have it have on .

The only thing I don't like is the switching back from 45 rpm to 33rpm.
I got to say it helped alot when I switched to an acrylic turntable mat (which looks awesome on the wood Uturns as well).
This leave a small groove at the top and when your're turning the platter to get the belt back on, it stays in that groove instead of falling off. Then you just push it down when it's completely on.

Interesting. I didn't think about getting an acrylic mat.

Do you push the belt up into the groove before trying to switch back to 33rpm?

Interesting. I didn't think about getting an acrylic mat.

Do you push the belt up into the groove before trying to switch back to 33rpm?

I take it completely off and then hook it in the 33rpm section on the pulley. I hold my finger underneath the belt on the pulley and then slowly turn the table clockwise and guide the belt onto the groove outside of the mat as I go (this also avoids it hitting a snag when you get to the cue lever since it keeps the belt slightly above).
Then when it's fully around the groove outside the mat I just slowly adjust it down to the platter itself.

Sometimes it takes a couple tries but it's WAY easier than doing it on the platter itself.

I take it completely off and then hook it in the 33rpm section on the pulley. I hold my finger underneath the belt on the pulley and then slowly turn the table clockwise and guide the belt onto the groove outside of the mat as I go (this also avoids it hitting a snag when you get to the cue lever since it keeps the belt slightly above).
Then when it's fully around the groove outside the mat I just slowly adjust it down to the platter itself.

Sometimes it takes a couple tries but it's WAY easier than doing it on the platter itself.
I think it's 100 percent easier if you pop that cue lever off , then put the belt on.

I think it's 100 percent easier if you pop that cue lever off , then put the belt on.

It's definitely 100 percent easier if going onto the platter itself. If putting the belt on the groove of the acrylic mat it's not necessary since the belt is being looped just above the lever.

I'm curious what you you all mean by popping the cue lever off?

1583162527380.png

Mine is over on the right side like this picture from U-Turns website. It does not interfere with the belt and setting it at all.

Do you mean the tonearm? I always move it off the the side like this as well.

Oh looks a little different from mine. Mine is just an attachment that just pops on and off but when it's on its almost impossible for me to get the belt on.

I haven't tried this, but it sounds like it would make everything WAY easier. The cue lever always gets in my way when trying to get the belt back on.

I haven't tried this, but it sounds like it would make everything WAY easier. The cue lever always gets in my way when trying to get the belt back on.
yeah once it's off I just put my finger on the belt and follow it all the way around and it usually takes it . Definitely give it a shot.

it's possible, maybe because my lever was an add on and maybe the wood ones come standard? Just guessing though.

The Cue lever is an optional add on. Including for the Orbit Special.

Mine isn't the Orbit Special, that didn't exist when I purchased mine in 2016. There was just the Orbit. And it was sold similarly to the Orbit Custom is today.

It's easier to do while the platter is moving. There are some good youtube vids if I recall, either manually spinning it while you switch back, or just leaving the power on when you change. You can slide the cue lever out as well which helps if you're rotating it manually.

I'm going to get this thread started off with a question.

I'm looking for some advice for switching between 45 RPM and 33 RPM.

I currently have the U-Turn with an acrylic platter, and it's near impossible to set the belt into position. It just falls off the acrylic platter. Whenever I switch it to 45 RPM to spin a record I spend a few minutes fighting with it to replace the belt back on 33 RPM. And at times I just have to give up and put the belt in the freezer for 20 minutes and then try again where it's still a struggle.

Switching to 45 RPM is easy, I just use my finger to flip the belts position to the 45 RPM location. But when I try the same to move back to 33 RPM the belt just falls off the platter. I always make sure i'm rotating the plater by hand when I try to flip the belt. It never works.

I have replaced the belt thinking the one I have may be too loose. Same issue with a brand new belt.

Looking for some advice on how I can change the speed or replace the belt where it's not a fight that leaves by cursing at the the thing.

I love my U-Turn. But hate that I have so much trouble changing speeds that i'm dreading playing 45 RPM records.
Honestly replacing the belt had fixed this for me. The new replacement felt a lot tighter and was kind of a charcoal grey color than black. Sorry to hear that this didn't work for you.

Back