The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

Any idea if these will show up to order stateside? Either online or in shop.

He’s a sort of sole trader based in the U.K. and most of his stuff is made to order. These are one of the few exceptions and so he tends to make very small runs of them. I’d be shocked if he sold them anywhere but his own website. That’s not to say that a manufacturer stateside won’t come up with something similar.

He’s a sort of sole trader based in the U.K. and most of his stuff is made to order. These are one of the few exceptions and so he tends to make very small runs of them. I’d be shocked if he sold them anywhere but his own website. That’s not to say that a manufacturer stateside won’t come up with something similar.
Cool, I just pulled the trigger. This hobby is RUTHLESS. I dropped them a note to see if they are making any white/silver ones as that'd match my turntable more.

Cool, I just pulled the trigger. This hobby is RUTHLESS. I dropped them a note to see if they are making any white/silver ones as that'd match my turntable more.

It’s absolutely RUTHLESS! Ive just spent far too much on setting up a server for the digital side of my system...

Yeah because mine is the previous aluminium one it is silver and it does look good through the clear acrylic platter. That said the stock plastic one is black and so is the tonearm so it’ll look pretty sharp regardless! There is only one more upgrade for it left now, a linear power supply. I’m hoping I can hold of that for a while because it’s pricy!

It’s absolutely RUTHLESS! Ive just spent far too much on setting up a server for the digital side of my system...

Yeah because mine is the previous aluminium one it is silver and it does look good through the clear acrylic platter. That said the stock plastic one is black and so is the tonearm so it’ll look pretty sharp regardless! There is only one more upgrade for it left now, a linear power supply. I’m hoping I can hold of that for a while because it’s pricy!
True. The black accent looks sharp nonetheless. How long did it take you to install? Also, am I correct in that the spindle is also replaced as well?

True. The black accent looks sharp nonetheless. How long did it take you to install? Also, am I correct in that the spindle is also replaced as well?

Less than 10 mins. The spindle is a part of the sub platter so yes, also the bearing housing below.

Basically take off the platter and elastic band and lift off the existing sub platter. You unscrew the 3 screws holding in the bearing and lift it out. Drop the new one in and screw it in. Put the directed bearing and oil amount into it, smear a bit of oil on the spindle below the sub platter, drop it in and let it settle to it’s right position, don’t force it down but spinning it slowly can make drop quicker. Once it’s fully down put the band back on and then the main platter and you’re back up and running.

Last edited:
To anyone with one of the following pro-ject tables:

XPRESSION MODELS

Xpression II

Xpression Lll

P1.2

Classic

DEBUT MODELS

Debut 0.5

Debut II All Varieties

Debut III All Varieties

Debut Carbon

Debut Carbon Esprit SB

Debut Carbon Phono USB

Crosley C10

Music Hall MMF-2.2

Acoustand have launched a redesigned new line of the upgraded sub-platter and bearings. I got one of the very last of the previous model and it’s one of the best upgrades that I’ve put on the table. The one i have is aluminium but these new models are delrin, which they claim performs better again. I’d highly recommend it!

Looks like the debut model sold out.

Pro-Ject til I die! Here's my setup

Cartridge: Ortofon 2m Blue
Table: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
Reveiver: Sony STR-ZA810 ES
Pre: Pro-Ject AD Box S2
Speed Control: Pro-Ject Speed Box S
Speakers: Infinity Cascade Model 9 (fronts), Infinity Cascade Model 7 (surround), Infinity Cascade Model 12 (sub), Klipsch Reference (center)

Pro-Ject til I die! Here's my setup

Cartridge: Ortofon 2m Blue
Table: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
Reveiver: Sony STR-ZA810 ES
Pre: Pro-Ject AD Box S2
Speed Control: Pro-Ject Speed Box S
Speakers: Infinity Cascade Model 9 (fronts), Infinity Cascade Model 7 (surround), Infinity Cascade Model 12 (sub), Klipsch Reference (center)

How's the speed box? Didn't know that existed until this very second. Would love to have this so I don't need to mess with the belt so often.

How's the speed box? Didn't know that existed until this very second. Would love to have this so I don't need to mess with the belt so often.

Speed Box is a game changer, especially if you don't have a newer Debut Carbon that has the speed switch on the surface. It does two things; easily change the speed between 33 and 45 without lifting the platter and messing with the belt, also electronically regulates the rotation speed to always be a perfect 33 or 45 despite voltage fluctuations coming from the wall outlet or power strip.

Do some research, though. It's not compatible with all Pro-Ject turntables and doesn't work in all countries

Last edited:
Speed Box is a game changer, especially if you have a newer Debut Carbon that doesn't have the speed switch on the surface. It does two things; easily change the speed between 33 and 45 without lifting the platter and messing with the belt, also electronically regulates the rotation speed to always be a perfect 33 or 45 despite voltage fluctuations coming from the wall outlet or power strip.

Do some research, though. It's not compatible with all Pro-Ject turntables and doesn't work in all countries

It doesn’t work on any non-us carbons and it doesn’t work on the second generation (non-hum) of the us Carbon. I think unless you’re really tight for cash that it’s an unwise decision to not buy the esprit Sb version.

Last edited:
Speed Box is a game changer, especially if you have a newer Debut Carbon that doesn't have the speed switch on the surface. It does two things; easily change the speed between 33 and 45 without lifting the platter and messing with the belt, also electronically regulates the rotation speed to always be a perfect 33 or 45 despite voltage fluctuations coming from the wall outlet or power strip.

I will be looking into getting one asap, thanks!

Soooo... Anyone have any advice on changing the cartridge on the Debut Carbon Esprit SB? I gently tried to pull out the connectors but I chickened out. I hear they're very tight and a "design flaw".

Soooo... Anyone have any advice on changing the cartridge on the Debut Carbon Esprit SB? I gently tried to pull out the connectors but I chickened out. I hear they're very tight and a "design flaw".

Plastic tweezers. They deform before they’ll break the connecter. Just make sure to only ever grab the actual gold connecter itself. It’s supposed to be that tight it’s more the super fragile wires that are the issue. Be careful and patient and you should be fine.

So I like my Ortofon Blue upgrade, however, the bass response seems a lot less than the Red. In general, sound is quieter now. Do I need to adjust anything? I slipped the Blue stylus onto the Red cartridge and had no issues. Wondering if maybe the force needs to be added a bit? It tracks beautifully.

So I like my Ortofon Blue upgrade, however, the bass response seems a lot less than the Red. In general, sound is quieter now. Do I need to adjust anything? I slipped the Blue stylus onto the Red cartridge and had no issues. Wondering if maybe the force needs to be added a bit? It tracks beautifully.

You can check the tracking force to make sure it didn’t get knocked when swapping but it recommends the same tracking force as the red. I can’t help you on the bass though, while I thought it was leagues ahead of the red big bass isn’t something I look for from my system!

Back