The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

If it was my money, I'd go 6XX with DarkVoice. It's $100 more, but the DarkVoice would also serve as a tube pre-amp for your speakers. Pretty hard to beat!
That's what I did! Interesting system. The run for the amp is over in two days at which point they'll order the entire batch, then break them up and send them out. Kind of a neat model. Or at the very least super neat how transparent they are. :)

If it was my money, I'd go 6XX with DarkVoice. It's $100 more, but the DarkVoice would also serve as a tube pre-amp for your speakers. Pretty hard to beat!
Actually I looked further into darkvoice. I don't think I'm ready just yet for tube rolling and trouble shooting the hum a lot of people are having. I might go with Schitt.

@Joe Mac I messaged my mate last night and his response is interesting:

depending on the size of the switch it's not necessarily a fiddly cut tbh. It's also potentially possible to bypass the switch entirely - basically always have it turned on, and install another switch on the mains-in lead. depends a bit how the power is handled, but I've done similar things plenty of times.

next time I'm near your turntable remind me and I can have a look. pretty good chance it wouldn't require any hacking up of hardware at all, just buying a nice switch (and you can get some VERY nice heavy switches for not a lot of money)

eg: these solid aluminium bastards on my jukebox PC

I spoke to Henley about my motor and the speedbox and they are going to email me back. He thought though that if I went for an updated motor then I'd probably have to upgrade my power supply too.

The ultimate solution would be a speedbox boxed in and made to look like that pc jukebox thing above. How fucking sweet would that be?!

I must admit I love the idea of not having to manually change speeds and be able to do it with the press of a button.

I spoke to Henley about my motor and the speedbox and they are going to email me back. He thought though that if I went for an updated motor then I'd probably have to upgrade my power supply too.

The ultimate solution would be a speedbox boxed in and made to look like that pc jukebox thing above. How fucking sweet would that be?!

I must admit I love the idea of not having to manually change speeds and be able to do it with the press of a button.

Yeah the speed change is a big thing for me now. After having one all this time I don’t know if I could buy a table without one, makes 45 just part of the normal collection rather than a hassle.

I think in essence it’s just a switch and a pcb to regulate the voltage to speed up/slow down the motor. I wonder if that pcb for the motor that uses a 15v(1.6amp) power supply for the debut esprit sb I have is a available to buy as a spare part to allow for a bit of home brew hacking for something like what you are talking about.

Actually I looked further into darkvoice. I don't think I'm ready just yet for tube rolling and trouble shooting the hum a lot of people are having. I might go with Schitt.
That's fair. I haven't personally used the DarkVoice, so I won't try to defend it. I will say that I had a Magni 3 previously, and although very good for the money, it didn't stay in my system long. Another option to consider is the Monoprice Cavali Spark.

Haven't heard these either, but all of Cavalli's designs sound more interesting to me. At $100, you could try both and return/flip whichever you don't want to keep. Or you could go a little higher up the Schiit lineup.

@Joe Mac Damn, the speedbox isn't compatible and none of the motors that are fit on my deck. I basically have to have an Essential motor. Regarding my motor they say that aesthetically the III is a bit nicer but there isn't much performance difference between that and the II so no point spending the extra.

I've asked how the speedbox works and whether it is just regulating the voltage to speed up and slow down the motor.... because if it is then could be worth tinkering with it. Get my new motor and use my noisy old one to experiment on.

@Joe Mac :

The speedbox works by shifting the frequency to adjust the playback speed. The essential range has a built in AC generator and because of this the SpeedBox serves no purpose as the frequency shift it introduces is modified back to the standard AC output generated by the turntable.

Ortofon Blue stylus and Puck It installed. My body is ready. Anyone know the break in time for the Blue? I think I've now done every possible upgrade I could do to this Pro-ject Debut III. Just wish it had RCA plugs on the back instead of the pre-installed flimsy cables.

Hi people. Looking for advice and general thoughts.

I am a vinyl collector but not really an audiophile.

I want to buy a new player for casual listening only & on a budget.

I am not looking to spend a fortune on a turntable, amp, cables, new speakers etc.

I'm happy to just have a decent turntable plugged into my powered monitors like I do now ( some people will be like 🙄 lol😂 that's cool I know I know)

Would the project debut carbon or the audio technica lp120 be recommended for this? Really only thinking of spending in the region of €300 to €350 on a turntable say?

I have read reviews on both these and seem happy with them for what I want. Just want the communities input too. Thanks

Hi people. Looking for advice and general thoughts.

I am a vinyl collector but not really an audiophile.

I want to buy a new player for casual listening only & on a budget.

I am not looking to spend a fortune on a turntable, amp, cables, new speakers etc.

I'm happy to just have a decent turntable plugged into my powered monitors like I do now ( some people will be like 🙄 lol😂 that's cool I know I know)

Would the project debut carbon or the audio technica lp120 be recommended for this? Really only thinking of spending in the region of €300 to €350 on a turntable say?

I have read reviews on both these and seem happy with them for what I want. Just want the communities input too. Thanks

I’d avoid the lp120 it’s preamp is muck, you can do better with that budget. I know tower have a reduced price version of the esprit sb version of the debut carbon that I have at the moment but neither that nor the standard carbon don’t have a preamp so you’d have to spend for one of those on top to connect to powered speakers (unless you have some of those powered speakers with a built in phono stage?).

If your speakers have a phono stage built in maybe go into tower and see how much is knocked off the price of the sb one, it’ll be lil over budget but it’s a great table and I think they’ve knocked a fair old chunk off the €539 list price, I just can’t remember exactly how much.

If that not a runner this at tt is better than the 120 and had a few decent reviews.

I think this is the one @Mr Moore has so maybe he could give you an impression?

Last edited:
This is exactly why I asked @Joe Mac thanks so much pal really appreciate this input. I think, could be wrong but I'm almost certain plugging the debut carbon into these powered speakers will be fine no amp. They are M-Audio AV 40 speakers

Hi fi hut is where I was going to go. I actually really like this one you have chose, tried earlier to get turntables up on towers site but site is kinda dodgy

This is exactly why I asked @Joe Mac thanks so much pal really appreciate this input. I think, could be wrong but I'm almost certain plugging the debut carbon into these powered speakers will be fine no amp. They are M-Audio AV 40 speakers

No not an amplifier, a phono stage pre-amp. Basically a tt outputs a signal below line level output so amplifiers and powered speakers can’t use the signal directly, it needs pre amplifying. Cheaper tables have a pre amp built in, most amplifiers have one built in and some powered speakers do. Needless to say you can also buy separates which are much better but as with such things that’s a cost haha!

So the pro-ject does not have a phono stage built in. If your speakers have one built in then it’s fine. If not you’d need a stand-alone one. The AT I linked to has one built in so you can use it or, if your speakers have one built in too, you can bypass it.

So I just checked your speakers and they don’t have a phono stage. So if you want the pro-ject you have to factor in the extra cost of a phono stage too. The AT LP5 has one built into it. The pro-ject is a great table but you have to square that with your budget lol!

No not an amplifier, a phono stage pre-amp. Basically a tt outputs a signal below line level output so amplifiers and powered speakers can’t use the signal directly, it needs pre amplifying. Cheaper tables have a pre amp built in, most amplifiers have one built in and some powered speakers do. Needless to say you can also buy separates which are much better but as with such things that’s a cost haha!

So the pro-ject does not have a phono stage built in. If your speakers have one built in then it’s fine. If not you’d need a stand-alone one. The AT I linked to has one built in so you can use it or, if your speakers have one built in too, you can bypass it.

So I just checked your speakers and they don’t have a phono stage. So if you want the pro-ject you have to factor in the extra cost of a phono stage too. The AT LP5 has one built into it. The pro-ject is a great table but you have to square that with your budget lol!
Ah ok I was completely misunderstanding this when I was researching alone I totally get it now. Thanks for all this info. I think that one you linked might be my best bet for now. I'm not going to rush it anyway, I'll do some more digging now I better understand what I need. Thanks alot 🤝🏼👌🏼

I've moved on from Pro-Ject, but I used to be a Pro-Ject guy for many years. Had several ProJect turntables. My two favorites.

Pro-Ject RPM 10.1

9297002208_b692b7fa2b_b.jpg

7652534274_9c86d83c00_b.jpg

ProJect RPM 6.1 SB

5007025298_f36b80729c_b.jpg

Video of the RPM 6.1 SB playing Hank Mobley's Workout (AP 45rpm) before I sold it and got the RPM 10.1.

I've moved on from Pro-Ject, but I used to be a Pro-Ject guy for many years. Had several ProJect turntables. My two favorites.

Pro-Ject RPM 10.1

9297002208_b692b7fa2b_b.jpg

7652534274_9c86d83c00_b.jpg

ProJect RPM 6.1 SB

5007025298_f36b80729c_b.jpg

Video of the RPM 6.1 SB playing Hank Mobley's Workout (AP 45rpm) before I sold it and got the RPM 10.1.

I came extremely close to buying an RPM 10.1 when they were on close out.

To anyone with one of the following pro-ject tables:

XPRESSION MODELS

Xpression II

Xpression Lll

P1.2

Classic

DEBUT MODELS

Debut 0.5

Debut II All Varieties

Debut III All Varieties

Debut Carbon

Debut Carbon Esprit SB

Debut Carbon Phono USB

Crosley C10

Music Hall MMF-2.2

Acoustand have launched a redesigned new line of the upgraded sub-platter and bearings. I got one of the very last of the previous model and it’s one of the best upgrades that I’ve put on the table. The one i have is aluminium but these new models are delrin, which they claim performs better again. I’d highly recommend it!

To anyone with one of the following pro-ject tables:

XPRESSION MODELS

Xpression II

Xpression Lll

P1.2

Classic

DEBUT MODELS

Debut 0.5

Debut II All Varieties

Debut III All Varieties

Debut Carbon

Debut Carbon Esprit SB

Debut Carbon Phono USB

Crosley C10

Music Hall MMF-2.2

Acoustand have launched a redesigned new line of the upgraded sub-platter and bearings. I got one of the very last of the previous model and it’s one of the best upgrades that I’ve put on the table. The one i have is aluminium but these new models are delrin, which they claim performs better again. I’d highly recommend it!

Any idea if these will show up to order stateside? Either online or in shop.

Back