The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

Joe Mac

They make so many tables and loads of us have them so here we are. I’ll add system details to the first couple of posts if people want to put them up!

@Joe Mac
Cartridge:
Audio Technica OC9XML
Table: Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Phono: Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL
CD: Jay’s Audio CDT2-Mk3
Streaming: Musical Fidelity MX-Stream
DDC: Matrix X-SPDIF 2
Pre: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell
Power: PrimaLuna Evo 300p
Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary
Sub: REL T/Zero MkIII
Analogue Interconnects: Van Den Hul The Wave RCA & Van Den Hul D-102 MkIII XLR & TCI Fierce XLR
Digital Interconects: Audioquest Carbon HDMI & USB & Van Den Hul Digi Coupler Coxial
Speaker Cable: BJC 10 with Locking Banana plugs

@Kris
Turntable
: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC (acrylic platter upgrade and Pro-Ject Clamp-It)
Pre-Amp: Vincent Pho-8
Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Blue
Speakers: ELAC F6.2
Receiver: NAD C 326BEE
Maintenance: VPI 16.5 and Vinyl Flat
Blue Jean Cables (Speaker and all RCA)
Pangea Audio AC 14SE Power Cable (for Vincent Pho-8)
Pangea Audio AC 14 Power Cable (for NAD C 326BEE)

@mdmost
Turntable
: Pro-Ject Debut III (acrylic platter) with Speed Box II
Cartridge: Ortofon 2M red
Speakers: B&W 685
Receiver: Marantz SR580 w/ pre outs to 2 Marantz MA6100 monoblock amps

@BjorgenFjorgen
Table
: Debut Carbon (with added Acryl-It platter and Clamp-It)
Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Red
Phono: Pro-Ject Phono Box
Receiver: Nikko STA-6060
Speakers: Paradigm Mini Monitors
Other: Google Chromecast Audio streamer

@plamtjeti
Turntable
: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
Speakers: KEF LS50s
Receiver: Outlaw Audio RR2150 (with integrated preamp)

@Critter
Cartridge
: Ortofon 2M Red / Ortofon 2M 78
Table: Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Pre: Pro-Ject "C Line" Phono Box - MM/ MC Phono Preamp
Speakers: Edifier R1280T Powered Bookshelf Speakers

@LeSamourai
Cartridge:
Ortofon OM5e
Turntable: Pro-ject Primary
Speakers: Klipsch R-15PM speakers
Other: Chromecast Audio

@Lacubrious
Cartridge
: Ortofon 2M Red
Table: RPM-1 Carbon
Amp(Built-in Phono): Onkyo 708
Speakers: Tannoy 609

@Skalap
Table
: Pro-Ject Debut 3
Cartridge: Ortofon OM5e
Receiver: Marantz PM-6004 Silver Gold
CD Player: Marantz CD-6004 Silver Gold
Speakers: Boston Acoustics A25

@Mather
Cartridge
: Ortofon 2M Black
Table: Pro-Ject 2Xperience SB (Pallisander)
Phono: Rega Aria
AVR: Arcam 550
Speakers: Revel F35/B10 Sub
Interconnects: BIS Vivat RCA
Speaker Cable: BIS Vivat
AC Cable: BIS Maestro/AC20

@Aelias
Cartridge
: Ortofon 2M Bronze
Table: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Phono: Lehmann Black Cube Statement
Amp: Denon Receiver
Speakers: Fluance AVFR

@Melt Face Molly Drop
Cartridge
: Ortofon 2M Blue
Table: Pro-Ject Carbon Esprit SB
Pre: Sutherland Insight
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR 838
Speakers: Q Acoustics Concept 40
Interconnects: Zu Wylde/Mission RCA
Speaker Cable: Blue Jeans Cable Canare 4S11
AC Cables: Zu Mission-Power
Sub: Paradigm PDR-10

@Selaws
Cartridge:
Ortofon 2M Silver
Turntable: Pro-ject The Classic
Speakers: Kanto YU6
Cables: Pro-ject Connect-It C

@CrazyDiamond84
Receiver: Pioneer SX-450
PreAmp: Vincent Pho-701
Speakers: Realistic Nova 10s

@dropsonde
Cartridge: Grado Gold3
Receiver: NAD D 3020 v2
Phono Pre-amp: Music Fidelity LX2-LPS
Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 225s

@Memo
Table: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (White w/ Pro-Ject Acrylic Platter)
Cartridge: Ortofon 2m Blue
Receiver: Sherwood RX-4109
Speakers: ELAC Debut Reference

@imtheocean
Table: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon
Cartridge: Ortofon 2m Red
Receiver: Pioneer SX-450
Speakers: Klipsch 41m

@Hollywood
Turntable: Pro-ject X2 Turntable (Walnut)
Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Blue (MM)
Phono Preamp: Musical Fidelity MX-VYNL phono stage (Silver)
Integrated Amplifier: audiolab 6000A (Silver)
CD Transport: audiolab 6000CDT (Silver)
Music Streamer: Bluesound NODE (Black)
Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage 85th Anniversary Speakers with Matching Stands (Walnut)
Speaker Cables: AudioQuest Rocket Series - Rocket 11
Interconnects: AudioQuest MacKenzie RCA cables
Audio Rack: NorStone Stabbl Four Bamboo Shelf Hi-Fi Audio Rack

@Blueberry
Cartridge: Sumiko Amethyst
Table: Debut Carbon Evolution
Phono: Lounge LCR Gold
Main: Marantz Model 30
Speakers: Elac UF5
Interconnects: BJC LC-1
Speaker Cable: BJC Twelve
Other: Yamaha CR-840 receiver, Sony UBPX800M2 universal player, Topping E30 DAC, Panamax M8-AV-PRO power conditioner

@jt4527
Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut III
Speakers: Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO One
Receiver: NAD C316BEE

Last edited:
Second piece of advice

This came from hifi hospital in Meath. the guy was so sound. I rang to see if they could change my cart and he said no it’s not worth it cost wise for me and he walked me through how to do it and gave me two tips I’ll share.

1. The wires and pin terminals are really fragile. Use plastic tweezers to connect/reconnect. They’ll distort before you break anything.

2. Only ever connect/disconnect headshell wires whilst the cartridge is attached to the headshell.

Last edited:
You replaced which Ortofon, the Red or the Blue, with the Grado? I'm probably getting close to time for a new stylus/cart and was leaning toward getting the Blue stylus.

The Blue! The blue isn’t a bad cartridge by any means, I liked it for a very long time and it’s a huge step up from the red. That said when I got my new amp I noticed that the step up highlighted some of its worst qualities, it was a tad bright and any surface noise was very apparent. The Grado is streets ahead on both of these so far.

I was due another stylus, at the least, anyway (It takes me about a year to get to the 1000ish hours) and what I will say is that if I was still running my Sony integrated I’d have just bought another blue stylus.

Last edited:
I've made googly eyes at the Classic SB Superpack for a while but I'm really happy at this point and see no real reason to upgrade.

Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC (acrylic platter upgrade and Pro-Ject Clamp-It)

I really want to ask my Dad to make me a wooden box like @Joe Mac has. It's so pretty.

Still holding on to my Debut III. I wish it had interconnections instead of hard wired RCA cables. I wonder if any quality suffers with those measly thin wires being what transfers sound to my receiver.

Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut III (acrylic platter) with Speed Box II

Had to trade out my Adcom GTP-500 pre-amp since the left channel would drop out repeatedly and the balance was constantly off. So now the Marantz works as my pre-amp. Sound has improved. A lot less hum than before. Thinking of upgrading to an Ortofon Blue stylus since it can use the same cartridge as the Red.

Still need to get the hockey puck clamp.

Last edited:
I've made googly eyes at the Classic SB Superpack for a while but I'm really happy at this point and see no real reason to upgrade.

Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon DC (acrylic platter upgrade and Pro-Ject Clamp-It)

I really want to ask my Dad to make me a wooden box like @Joe Mac has. It's so pretty.

Nice system! I’ll put it up!

Thank you! Iove my isolation box. Oh I wanted one of those classic Sb superpacks too, soooo much! But I really like my table so I had a hifi furniture maker guy build me that box. It wasn’t cheap but €300 was better than over €1000 and it’s made my turntable so nice that I’m also in a good place with it and can’t see myself wanting to change either!

Still holding on to my Debut III. I wish it had interconnections instead of hard wired RCA cables. I wonder if any quality suffers with those measly thin wires being what transfers sound to my receiver.

Had to trade out my Adcom GTP-500 pre-amp since the left channel would drop out repeatedly and the balance was constantly off. So now the Marantz works as my pre-amp. Sound has improved. A lot less hum than before. Thinking of upgrading to an Ortofon Blue stylus since it can use the same cartridge as the Red.

Got to say I got a big lift upgrading from the stock to the Van Den Hul cables sorry! That said it was no where near as big a lift as switching stylus to the blue. It’s so much better than the difference in price between it and the red!

Still need to get the hockey puck clamp.

Also, nice system! How are the Marantz amps?

Yes, a thread for those of us not in the Klipsch, Mofi, or Prima Luna guilds!

I have a very modest set-up but it works just fine for me for now. Next upgrade will be the Red to the Blue stylus, and then eventually, when I'm in a new apartment, speakers and pre-amp.

Table: Debut Carbon (with added Acryl-It platter and Clamp-It)
Phono: Pro-Ject Phono Box
Receiver: Nikko STA-6060
Speakers: Paradigm Mini Monitors
Other: Google Chromecast Audio streamer

I think I could switch out the wired cables for interconnections but I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze in dissembling the cover and trying to solder something in. Unfortunately, the Carbon and USB ones were not available when I bought this back in 2006.

Also, nice system! How are the Marantz amps?

I love them. I've had them since 2008. They match the Speed Box II with blue LED lights to indicate power. I used to run them to my home theater as rear channel amps but moved them out when I got more serious with this turntable a couple years ago.

I think I could switch out the wired cables for interconnections but I don't know if the juice is worth the squeeze in dissembling the cover and trying to solder something in. Unfortunately, the Carbon and USB ones were not available when I bought this back in 2006.

Yeah it could be more hassle than it’s worth. Is it possible with them to have a terminal attached aftermarket to allow you to then switch cables? I saw @HiFi Guy taking about that on a technics yesterday. Don’t know if it’s possible or even worth it cost wise on the project tho.

I love them. I've had them since 2008. They match the Speed Box II with blue LED lights to indicate power. I used to run them to my home theater as rear channel amps but moved them out when I got more serious with this turntable a couple years ago.

Nice! I’ve always liked the looks and sound of any Marantz I’ve encountered!

Yeah it could be more hassle than it’s worth. Is it possible with them to have a terminal attached aftermarket to allow you to then switch cables? I saw @HiFi Guy taking about that on a technics yesterday. Don’t know if it’s possible or even worth it cost wise on the project tho.

Nice! I’ve always liked the looks and sound of any Marantz I’ve encountered!

With Pro-Ject, they pretty much got it right- the models that should have output jacks got them.

Current setup is the same as when I first started to get serious about this hobby in 2013.
Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Probably going to make a few upgrades this year... I'm looking pretty hard at the acrylic platter and clamp. Also considering a dedicated phono preamp. I will need a new stylus, too, and @Joe Mac has already convinced me to upgrade to the Blue over the Red... but maybe if changing over to the Grado is not as hard as it sounds I'll go that route instead?

Current setup is the same as when I first started to get serious about this hobby in 2013.
Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut Carbon

Probably going to make a few upgrades this year... I'm looking pretty hard at the acrylic platter and clamp. Also considering a dedicated phono preamp. I will need a new stylus, too, and @Joe Mac has already convinced me to upgrade to the Blue over the Red... but maybe if changing over to the Grado is not as hard as it sounds I'll go that route instead?

Whatever you do don’t get another red. The blue is a huge step up from it and the stylus swap is so easy.

I think the Grado is better, but it’s not night and day, I think they’re similar levels of quality I just prefer the warmer Grado sound it seems!

Here is a video I found really helpful if you do decide to swap cartridges

But get some plastic tweezers for the reason I said earlier and only grab the actual gold coloured pin to pull it off, don’t grab the black bit or the wire, they’re really fragile!

Whatever you do don’t get another red. The blue is a huge step up from it and the stylus swap is so easy.

I think the Grado is better, but it’s not night and day, I think they’re similar levels of quality I just prefer the warmer Grado sound it seems!

Here is a video I found really helpful if you do decide to swap cartridges

But get some plastic tweezer for the reason I said earlier and only grab the actual gold coloured pin to pull it off, don’t grab the black but or the wire, they’re really fragile!

I think you'll find a bigger difference between the Ortofon and the Grado once the Grado has more hours on it.

I think you'll find a bigger difference between the Ortofon and the Grado once the Grado has more hours on it.

I hope so! I’m really happy with it so far. I didn’t mind the ort for the mids and the bass tbh, it was just since I got the new amp I noticed it was a bit harsh and shrill on highs, particularly with piano or high female voices.

Back