The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

I'll check it. It just seems odd that I put on Superfly which is got great bass lines and they're a lot more subdued on the Blue than the Red. Again, overall I love this stylus. It's so much quieter and has a lot less surface noise. I hear less pops and static. It's definitely better.

Speed Box is a game changer, especially if you don't have a newer Debut Carbon that has the speed switch on the surface. It does two things; easily change the speed between 33 and 45 without lifting the platter and messing with the belt, also electronically regulates the rotation speed to always be a perfect 33 or 45 despite voltage fluctuations coming from the wall outlet or power strip.

Do some research, though. It's not compatible with all Pro-Ject turntables and doesn't work in all countries

Now that I'm home I checked my TT and it's the DC model which is not compatible with the speed box. Looks like more belt flipping is in my future... 😭

No hum on my setup with the Speed Box. I think this was solved after the early versions of the unit

I think with the first version it was a widespread and documented issue, it’s all over the internet, but it didn’t affect all tables and by all accounts was fixed by using the speedbox randomly. I think the full fix was them switching the US tables to the same voltage motor used in the rest of the world when the carbon line was refreshed 4 or 5 years back.

To anyone with one of the following pro-ject tables:

XPRESSION MODELS

Xpression II

Xpression Lll

P1.2

Classic

DEBUT MODELS

Debut 0.5

Debut II All Varieties

Debut III All Varieties

Debut Carbon

Debut Carbon Esprit SB

Debut Carbon Phono USB

Crosley C10

Music Hall MMF-2.2

Acoustand have launched a redesigned new line of the upgraded sub-platter and bearings. I got one of the very last of the previous model and it’s one of the best upgrades that I’ve put on the table. The one i have is aluminium but these new models are delrin, which they claim performs better again. I’d highly recommend it!

Arrived for me today. Installation was a breeze (hardest part was getting the damn cap off the oil syringe) and craftsmanship is top notch. Probably won't have a chance to spin anything until tomorrow.

@Joe Mac I see the instructions note a break in time of a couple hours. Did you find this to be the case for yours?

Arrived for me today. Installation was a breeze (hardest part was getting the damn cap off the oil syringe) and craftsmanship is top notch. Probably won't have a chance to spin anything until tomorrow.

@Joe Mac I see the instructions note a break in time of a couple hours. Did you find this to be the case for yours?

Honestly no, I left it an hour to settle into place before firing it up but once it had settled it sounded great from the off, I didn’t notice any difference after break in.

Honestly no, I left it an hour to settle into place before firing it up but once it had settled it sounded great from the off, I didn’t notice any difference after break in.
I did see on Steve Hoffman that the aluminum took quite a while to settle, whereas this delrin one took maybe a minute to drop in.

I'll check it. It just seems odd that I put on Superfly which is got great bass lines and they're a lot more subdued on the Blue than the Red. Again, overall I love this stylus. It's so much quieter and has a lot less surface noise. I hear less pops and static. It's definitely better.
There was a definite break-in period for me on the cartridge when I switched -- but it is worth checking the tracking force as well.

I found the first "x" hours with the blue surprising bright and quieter -- after the initial let-down (and I'm guessing corresponding with the break in) it shifted to precise, still a little more analytical than the red, but increasingly detailed with good space. For obvious reasons though, I've never A/B tested the two.

The blue isn't the end of my journey -- but I like the character and don't miss the red at this point. I also upgraded my phone preamp so that probably blurs the whole comparison to meaningless chatter... But I've already typed all this before getting to that realization, so I'm clicking post anyway :)

Has anybody tried Pro-Ject's VC-S vinyl cleaning unit? They just announced a smaller footprint modei, the VC-E, and I was wondering if these are any good vs other OEMs like okki-nokki

Just had a look at both the new ones, the vc-s2 alu (bigger & replaces the vc-s) and the vc-e (compact one).

Was disappointed at the vc-e list price being €399.99, was hoping they could get that one in around €300 given that the vc-s is €450ish and I imagine the vc-s2 alu will be in the same ball park.

Having an issue with my needle skipping simultaneously.
Tried to play Fleet Foxes 'Crack up' which previously was a no issue record but now, it can't even get past the first few lines on either side.

Tried to play Fleet Foxes 'Crack up' which previously was a no issue record but now, it can't even get past the first few lines on either side.
Snap a pic of what your anti-stake and tracking force look like

Yeah, unless there is an issue with your stylus my first check would be to see if the tracking force had got knocked off.

Yeah, unless there is an issue with your stylus my first check would be to see if the tracking force had got knocked off.

I've checked it, only concern it that it's too heavy. There like a second click I have to kind of force over to get it to continue to spin.
Do you know what I'm talking about?

Back