The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

I've checked it, only concern it that it's too heavy. There like a second click I have to kind of force over to get it to continue to spin.
Do you know what I'm talking about?

Not a clue to be honest! Authough forving anything with things as fragile as styli and records is not a good idea.

I’d maybe trying stripping down the arm and completely resetting the counterweight, tracking force and anti skate weight. If that doesn’t work I’d be getting someone to have a look at the table for me!

Last edited:
Not a clue to be honest! Authough fording anything with things as fragile as styli and records is not a good idea.

I’d maybe trying stripping down the arm and completely resetting the counterweight, tracking force and anti skate weight. If that doesn’t work I’d be getting someone to have a look at the table for me!

I understand.
I think my issue was, after reading the manual, i needed to take the anti skating off before adjusting weight. Running a lot smoother now.

Lads, I need advice

my current set up is very basic

Table: Pro-Ject Elemental
Cartridge: Ortofon Pro-S
Receiver/Amp: Marantz PM 5005
CD Player: Marantz CD 5005
Speakers: Q Acoustics 3010
no pre-Amp/phono

question 1
now, I was looking for a small step in the upgrading route and was thinking of the new Pro-Ject T1 (with the cartridge comes with it, I believe is a Ortofon OM 5E)
is this a logical move or should I think differently?

question 2
the T1 comes also with the option of a built in phono Pre-Amp. should I consider it?

and final question
is it worth considering a better cartridge to combine with the T1? and if so, which one?

Note, I'm in Europe and not all options are available here.

Lads, I need advice

my current set up is very basic

Table: Pro-Ject Elemental
Cartridge: Ortofon Pro-S
Receiver/Amp: Marantz PM 5005
CD Player: Marantz CD 5005
Speakers: Q Acoustics 3010
no pre-Amp/phono

question 1
now, I was looking for a small step in the upgrading route and was thinking of the new Pro-Ject T1 (with the cartridge comes with it, I believe is a Ortofon OM 5E)
is this a logical move or should I think differently?

question 2
the T1 comes also with the option of a built in phono Pre-Amp. should I consider it?

and final question
is it worth considering a better cartridge to combine with the T1? and if so, which one?

Note, I'm in Europe and not all options are available here.

1. I’m not 100% sure. The T1 seems to be in and around the same level as the old essential and elemental tables. I don’t know if it’s that much of an upgrade. Maybe head into a dealer (I know both Tower and hifi hut stock projects) and demo one, I’m pretty sure hifi hut even stock Marantz amps so you can get a proper idea. My instinct would be that it’s the debut carbon esprit before you’re getting a proper step up but let your ears guide you. It’s a pity Cloney stock rega over pro-ject, you could probably walk there lol!

2. I’d not bother, the one in the Marantz is likely better.

3. With the OM the 5e is the worst stylus but the cartridge is compatible with all the OM series styli. You can get a good boost by just buying an OM20/30/40 stylus and swapping it for the 5e. Should be cheaper and easier than swapping out the whole cart.

1. I’m not 100% sure. The T1 seems to be in and around the same level as the old essential and elemental tables. I don’t know if it’s that much of an upgrade. Maybe head into a dealer (I know both Tower and hifi hut stock projects) and demo one, I’m pretty sure hifi hut even stock Marantz amps so you can get a proper idea. My instinct would be that it’s the debut carbon esprit before you’re getting a proper step up but let your ears guide you. It’s a pity Cloney stock rega over pro-ject, you could probably walk there lol!

2. I’d not bother, the one in the Marantz is likely better.

3. With the OM the 5e is the worst stylus but the cartridge is compatible with all the OM series styli. You can get a good boost by just buying an OM20/30/40 stylus and swapping it for the 5e. Should be cheaper and easier than swapping out the whole cart.
that's very helpful, thanks dude.
Since I have Cloney at walking distance.... is there a Rega that is comparable with the Pro-Ject carbon (price/performace)?

that's very helpful, thanks dude.
Since I have Cloney at walking distance.... is there a Rega that is comparable with the Pro-Ject carbon (price/performace)?

I honestly don’t know the regas well enough! I’ve gone full in with pro-ject! I know that their entry level one (P1/RP1?) has a bad reputation around these parts but higher up the line they are really loved tables, I’m just not knowledgable enough on them to say which in their line is worth it. What I will say is that the guys in cloney have always been really sound with me in the past and haven’t put on the hard sell when I’ve been enquiring about things.

I found my basic table has gone pretty far (still no desire to replace it despite some of the over-the-top stuff I've paired with it). Unless you're worried it's the Elemental that's holding you back, you might look into a new cartridge or a phone preamp instead. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Ortofon cartridges or Marantz amps, so I'm not sure what would be an upgrade for you.

Also, since the Pro-S is an OM stylus, you might also consider just swapping the stylus for an even easier upgrade path.

So it's coming in at $100 more than the Classic SB. I think it's worth waiting for the EVO. The one thing that bugged me about the Classic SB is that it came with the Clamp-It which I have already.

So it's coming in at $100 more than the Classic SB. I think it's worth waiting for the EVO. The one thing that bugged me about the Classic SB is that it came with the Clamp-It which I have already.

I’d agree. I think you’d pay 100 alone for the upgraded sub platter. When you add in better tonearm and more mass added to the plinth it’s definitely worth it imo. That said I bet you could have flogged one of those clamps on here for an fair price, there always seems people after them who are put off by the list price!

I’d agree. I think you’d pay 100 alone for the upgraded sub platter. When you add in better tonearm and more mass added to the plinth it’s definitely worth it imo. That said I bet you could have flogged one of those clamps on here for an fair price, there always seems people after them who are put off by the list price!
For the Debut Carbon, it’s much better than the mitchell clamp. I’ve had both and I gave away the Mitchell. It’s too shallow for the DC. For anyone in the fence, It’s a case where OEM is definitely worth it.

For the Debut Carbon, it’s much better than the mitchell clamp. I’ve had both and I gave away the Mitchell. It’s too shallow for the DC. For anyone in the fence, It’s a case where OEM is definitely worth it.

Yeah it is. I have it on my carbon esprit and it works perfectly. It did still feel a bit steep at €80 though!

Oh yeah, the EVO looks like a better table overall than the SB. I'd much rather have the upgraded subplatter, bearings and subchassis than a record clamp and a leather mat. But, the SB looks like a very nice deck, and for the right price I would be more than happy with it.

Analogue Seduction in the UK does has the EVO, walnut or eucalyptus, shipped to the US for $1350 with the Quintet Red MC cartridge or $1150 without. Not having to pay VAT really knocks the price down. I've ordered from them previously and was satisfied. You might need to ask them to provide a US power supply though.

Oh yeah, the EVO looks like a better table overall than the SB. I'd much rather have the upgraded subplatter, bearings and subchassis than a record clamp and a leather mat. But, the SB looks like a very nice deck, and for the right price I would be more than happy with it.

Analogue Seduction in the UK does has the EVO, walnut or eucalyptus, shipped to the US for $1350 with the Quintet Red MC cartridge or $1150 without. Not having to pay VAT really knocks the price down. I've ordered from them previously and was satisfied. You might need to ask them to provide a US power supply though.

Analogue seduction are my go to dealer, bought my power and preamp off them earlier in the year. They’re good people. Sadly I do have to pay vat. Only $200 off for the quintet? I’d have been tempted to try something else but that seems like a low discount.

Analogue seduction are my go to dealer, bought my power and preamp off them earlier in the year. They’re good people. Sadly I do have to pay vat. Only $200 off for the quintet? I’d have been tempted to try something else but that seems like a low discount.
You're right, that doesn't seem fair. Although they sell the Quintet Red for £249.00 by itself, they only knock £200.00 off the EVO without it. Wonder why?

You're right, that doesn't seem fair. Although they sell the Quintet Red for £249.00 by itself, they only knock £200.00 off the EVO without it. Wonder why?

Ah I thought the quintet cost more than that! No that’s fair then. Project have a really close working agreement with Ortofon. The ones with the cart will be factory fitted and supplied not much above cost, the table is advertised with it. It has nowt to do with analogue seduction id imagine!

Back