The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

No diffeeent type of preamp. This is why I don’t like calling phono stages pre amps even if they are technically, it confuses things lol.

So a turntable produces a very low level output which can’t be handled by an amplifier, it sounds mad quiet. A phono stage is a preamp that brings it up to a level comparable with other sources that an amplifier uses.

A preamp such as the schitt is a sort of control amplifier. It takes the sources and controls the volume for either the headphones or the power amp that powers the speakers. For example an integrated amp has both a pre and power amp built into it (and often a phono stage pre amp too...)

So you need the project to bring the low level tt output up to a level that the schitt can use.
Great description. Thank you!

Side note: changed to the Ortofon 2M Blue and am loving life right now.

Here's my question. I currently use powered speakers with no receiver, directly from the Pro-Ject preamp. My neighbor is really overly sensitive about noise, and I basically am having trouble listening to any music at all at the moment without him complaining to management. Even playing things quietly, he contends that the bass "transfers" to his unit. Okay so anyway, my thought is to switch to listening on audiophile headphones. Looking for any advice at all, but here are some specific questions if anyone feels like answering:

(1) Any recommendations on headphones? I'm looking at the HIFIMAN SUNDARA though I understand they have quality control issues. Those are in my budget, as I'm not really looking to drop $1.5 k on headphones at the moment.

(2) The Pro-Ject preamp does not have a TS/TRS jack. Is my only option to go all in on a receiver? Anyone know of any handy devices that might suffice?

Thanks all!
If you are looking at headphone rigs, I think you need to consider drop.com (formerly Massdrop). They have completely shaken things up in the headphone world. With a $500 budget you can get an awesome set of cans and a dedicated headphone amp from a range of manufactures. These are all based of successful designs, and are wildly popular in the headphone space. I know they do international shipping, but I'm not sure what the costs are to shipping to Canada. I'm linking some ideas below for a $500ish set up. Loads more options if you up the budget. They also do have some stuff come and go, so it's worth looking at previous sales and marketing them so you get notified if they make a come back.

Headphones
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones (these would be closes to the Sundara I believe)

Amps (look for ones with an output and this can serve as volume control to your powered speakers as well)

I was going to make my own box like @Joe Mac because they look ace. Then I realised that the TT power switch is on the side and not on top of the deck. D'oh!

Won't look quite as swish if the box isn't flush with the top of the deck.

I was going to make my own box like @Joe Mac because they look ace. Then I realised that the TT power switch is on the side and not on top of the deck. D'oh!

Won't look quite as swish if the box isn't flush with the top of the deck.

Bugger! Another reason why getting the speed box version of the debut over the standard was the best decision I made!

If you are looking at headphone rigs, I think you need to consider drop.com (formerly Massdrop). They have completely shaken things up in the headphone world. With a $500 budget you can get an awesome set of cans and a dedicated headphone amp from a range of manufactures. These are all based of successful designs, and are wildly popular in the headphone space. I know they do international shipping, but I'm not sure what the costs are to shipping to Canada. I'm linking some ideas below for a $500ish set up. Loads more options if you up the budget. They also do have some stuff come and go, so it's worth looking at previous sales and marketing them so you get notified if they make a come back.

Headphones
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones (these would be closes to the Sundara I believe)

Amps (look for ones with an output and this can serve as volume control to your powered speakers as well)
All of you are really amazing. I'm so fortunate to have this community. Interested on other's thoughts of Drop.

Bugger! Another reason why getting the speed box version of the debut over the standard was the best decision I made!

I was going to make my own isolation box using a mixture of granite chopping boards and sorbothane sheets and feet. Was then going to get my mate to box it in using the same wood as he used to make my 'what's spinning' stand. Reckon I could get the whole thing done for less than 150. - vast majority of that cost is the woodwork.

Might still work if the wood is flush with the bottom of the deck as long as no feet are visible.

Sorry, I didn't realize all those links would look the same. Drop needs to get their shiz together on that website metadata, haha.

I considered getting a hole in the side for the switch but that would significantly increase the cost because to do it well would mean a lot of fiddly cutting and sanding which would take a lot of time.

Sorry, I didn't realize all those links would look the same. Drop needs to get their shiz together on that website metadata, haha.
Bahaha yeah they all say formerly Massdrop, too. They all have amazing reviews. Any thoughts anyone on where to go with this? I'm thinking the following:

With an upgrade on the amp some day.

I was going to make my own isolation box using a mixture of granite chopping boards and sorbothane sheets and feet. Was then going to get my mate to box it in using the same wood as he used to make my 'what's spinning' stand. Reckon I could get the whole thing done for less than 150. - vast majority of that cost is the woodwork.

Might still work if the wood is flush with the bottom of the deck as long as no feet are visible.

That sounds about right price wise when you take off the labour costs from mine tbf. Also the granite would add more than I have in weight (there is a gap in mine for that but as I don’t need it I haven’t filled it)

Not to tempt but you could get this and leave the switch under the tt on the whole time and it will control on/off and have electronic speed change between 33/45 😉

That sounds about right price wise when you take off the labour costs from mine tbf. Also the granite would add more than I have in weight (there is a gap in mine for that but as I don’t need it I haven’t filled it)

Not to tempt but you could get this and leave the switch under the tt on the whole time and it will control on/off and have electronic speed change between 33/45 😉

Woahhhh that looks the tits. Not sure it works with an essential motor though as don't think they have correct voltage.

Woahhhh that looks the tits. Not sure it works with an essential motor though as don't think they have correct voltage.

The project website mentions essential but it doesn’t have a number after it so I’m not sure if it means I, II or III. You could drop them an email to check? I know for a fact that it doesn’t work with any of the tables with a built in phono & usb though.

The project website mentions essential but it doesn’t have a number after it so I’m not sure if it means I, II or III. You could drop them an email to check? I know for a fact that it doesn’t work with any of the tables with a built in phono & usb though.

Mine is not one of those.

I'll give them a call. I need to ask them about replacing my motor anyway.

Actually didn't notice the amp I was looking at has no RCA output, so I'd be looking at this puppy:

Now this noob just has to figure out the difference between 110 and 220 v and which I should get....

Also sorry, I've drifted entirely off of Pro-Ject, should I take this elsewhere?

Bahaha yeah they all say formerly Massdrop, too. They all have amazing reviews. Any thoughts anyone on where to go with this? I'm thinking the following:

View attachment 7657
View attachment 7658

With an upgrade on the amp some day.
If it was my money, I'd go 6XX with DarkVoice. It's $100 more, but the DarkVoice would also serve as a tube pre-amp for your speakers. Pretty hard to beat!

Actually didn't notice the amp I was looking at has no RCA output, so I'd be looking at this puppy:

View attachment 7663

Now this noob just has to figure out the difference between 110 and 220 v and which I should get....

Also sorry, I've drifted entirely off of Pro-Ject, should I take this elsewhere?

In North America your mains electrical circuits are 110v. 220-240 are our European main circuit voltages.

Mine is not one of those.

I'll give them a call. I need to ask them about replacing my motor anyway.

Definitely worth a bell. Henley are their U.K. distributor, I had to ring them just after I got the table when I snapped the fishing wire anti skate weight accidentally. They were really sound!

Last edited:
@Captainfog this is how the back of my box looks. There is a section cut out down to the level of the supports the feet sit on to allow access to the connections.

0335AFBB-FBFC-4BE8-829A-58F3D344592C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back