The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

I have a Pro-Ject DC Carbon with Ortofon Red.
I have some issues with static and my records becoming literal dirt magnets.
I just have the felt that was initially provided. Any recommendations to remove if not lessen the static?

I have a Pro-Ject DC Carbon with Ortofon Red.
I have some issues with static and my records becoming literal dirt magnets.
I just have the felt that was initially provided. Any recommendations to remove if not lessen the static?

How are you cleaning your records? Do you have a cat?

I have a AT "anti-static" brush...
no cats/pets just plants lol

An anti static brush isn’t cleaning your records it’s wiping off surface dust. Records are really dirty new. At the very least maybe look into something like a spin clean, you’d be surprised at the difference it makes and the dirt that gathers in the bottom.

An anti static brush isn’t cleaning your records it’s wiping off surface dust. Records are really dirty new. At the very least maybe look into something like a spin clean, you’d be surprised at the difference it makes and the dirt that gathers in the bottom.

Got it. Any efficient record cleaning methods while I forgo buying records and save up for a spin clean? lol

So I have some birthday money coming up. What would be worth more: upgrading from the Ortofon Red to Blue stylus or getting a record clamp?

So I have some birthday money coming up. What would be worth more: upgrading from the Ortofon Red to Blue stylus or getting a record clamp?

Red to blue.

The clamp was great for flattening out a few bowls and coupling and that but the upgrade to the blue made a real positive difference to the sound coming out of my speakers!

Side note: changed to the Ortofon 2M Blue and am loving life right now.

Here's my question. I currently use powered speakers with no receiver, directly from the Pro-Ject preamp. My neighbor is really overly sensitive about noise, and I basically am having trouble listening to any music at all at the moment without him complaining to management. Even playing things quietly, he contends that the bass "transfers" to his unit. Okay so anyway, my thought is to switch to listening on audiophile headphones. Looking for any advice at all, but here are some specific questions if anyone feels like answering:

(1) Any recommendations on headphones? I'm looking at the HIFIMAN SUNDARA though I understand they have quality control issues. Those are in my budget, as I'm not really looking to drop $1.5 k on headphones at the moment.

(2) The Pro-Ject preamp does not have a TS/TRS jack. Is my only option to go all in on a receiver? Anyone know of any handy devices that might suffice?

Thanks all!

Side note: changed to the Ortofon 2M Blue and am loving life right now.

Here's my question. I currently use powered speakers with no receiver, directly from the Pro-Ject preamp. My neighbor is really overly sensitive about noise, and I basically am having trouble listening to any music at all at the moment without him complaining to management. Even playing things quietly, he contends that the bass "transfers" to his unit. Okay so anyway, my thought is to switch to listening on audiophile headphones. Looking for any advice at all, but here are some specific questions if anyone feels like answering:

(1) Any recommendations on headphones? I'm looking at the HIFIMAN SUNDARA though I understand they have quality control issues. Those are in my budget, as I'm not really looking to drop $1.5 k on headphones at the moment.

(2) The Pro-Ject preamp does not have a TS/TRS jack. Is my only option to go all in on a receiver? Anyone know of any handy devices that might suffice?

Thanks all!

If you like your powered speakers and don’t want to go to receiver & passive speakers for “out loud” listening you could go for a headphone amp to run a set of headphones off. Maybe something like this

Actually you have the same table as me don’t you? So you have a phono stage in between it and the speakers or is that built into your active speakers?
I have the Pro-Ject preamp. It just doesn't have a jack like I've seen some preamps have. It does have RCA output though. Duh, I could just get an adapter lol.

I have the Pro-Ject preamp. It just doesn't have a jack like I've seen some preamps have. It does have RCA output though. Duh, I could just get an adapter lol.

Ah right. If you connect the output of your phono stage to that Schitt it will power your headphones. It also has an out on it as well so you can flip a switch and it will send the signal to your speakers rather than the headphones. Shouldn’t connect headphones directly to a line level output.

Nice so it just operates as a passthrough with respect to the speaker output but acts as a headphone amp for the headphone jack?

Nice so it just operates as a passthrough with respect to the speaker output but acts as a headphone amp for the headphone jack?

It acts as a headphone amp for the headphones and as a pre amp for the speakers, the volume control on it will still control the volume going to your powered speakers.

It acts as a headphone amp for the headphones and as a pre amp for the speakers, the volume control on it will still control the volume going to your powered speakers.
Oh wait but doesn't my Phono box already act as a preamp to the powered speaker? Wouldn't this Schitt be replacing that?

Oh wait but doesn't my Phono box already act as a preamp to the powered speaker? Wouldn't this Schitt be replacing that?

No diffeeent type of preamp. This is why I don’t like calling phono stages pre amps even if they are technically, it confuses things lol.

So a turntable produces a very low level output which can’t be handled by an amplifier, it sounds mad quiet. A phono stage is a preamp that brings it up to a level comparable with other sources that an amplifier uses.

A preamp such as the schitt is a sort of control amplifier. It takes the sources and controls the volume for either the headphones or the power amp that powers the speakers. For example an integrated amp has both a pre and power amp built into it (and often a phono stage pre amp too...)

So you need the project to bring the low level tt output up to a level that the schitt can use.

Back