The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

1) Did you have to adjust anything with the acrylic platter? The top amazon review says that this platter is 2mm thicker than the metal one + mat, and I believe my TT doesn't have any kind of tone arm vertical adjustment
2) I've got the US bought version that comes with the Sumiko Rainier cartridge, not sure how comparable that is to the ortofon 2M red or blue. I think the next one up from that is Oyster or something.
I have the Project X2 which came with an acrylic platter but I would imagine it's a simple swap of platters and no VTA adjustments are required, also I left off the felt mat, which was unnecessary in my opinion.

As for Sumiko cartridges, unfortunately I'm not familiar with them at all. Perhaps another forumer can chime in.

I have the Project X2 which came with an acrylic platter but I would imagine it's a simple swap of platters and no VTA adjustments are required, also I left off the felt mat, which was unnecessary in my opinion.

As for Sumiko cartridges, unfortunately I'm not familiar with them at all. Perhaps another forumer can chime in.
As far as I've read, the Rainier is a very likable cart and not nearly as divisive as the Ortofon 2M Red. I'm not sure @mrjoshuamccormack needs to be in a serious rush to replace it.

That said, it does seem that, much like the 2M Red/Blue, you can upgrade from a Rainier to an Olympia or even a Moonstone by just swapping the stylus on the same cartridge body. So that's always an option.

Hello fellow pro-ject owners, I would like to join your club! I have had the turntable and speakers for almost twenty years now, still going strong although something in the table kinda groans and squeaks when I switch it on, and it's not the belt because I’ve changed that! The receiver is a replacement for an older NAD that bit the dust after 19 years of service. Reading around, the cartridge doesn't seem to be a favourite and I bought it blind, knowing nothing about it, other than it cost 100 pounds, so it must be better than the stock. Thinking of upgrading the stylus to a 2M Blue and see how that goes.

Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut III
Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Red
Speakers: Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO One
Receiver: NAD C316BEE

Hello fellow pro-ject owners, I would like to join your club! I have had the turntable and speakers for almost twenty years now, still going strong although something in the table kinda groans and squeaks when I switch it on, and it's not the belt because I’ve changed that! The receiver is a replacement for an older NAD that bit the dust after 19 years of service. Reading around, the cartridge doesn't seem to be a favourite and I bought it blind, knowing nothing about it, other than it cost 100 pounds, so it must be better than the stock. Thinking of upgrading the stylus to a 2M Blue and see how that goes.

Turntable: Pro-Ject Debut III
Cartridge: Ortofon 2M Red
Speakers: Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO One
Receiver: NAD C316BEE
I think you'll really enjoy the Blue. It's the detail of Red plus warmth.

The acrylic one is designed for use without a mat. It was 2mm thicker than the metal one on the old debut carbon to make up for the lack of a mat and to avoid VTA adjustment.

They changed the metal platter for the new evo and pro models so I’m not 100% if the same thing applies re thickness and VTA, probably does to be fair but I’ve just not seen it written anywhere yet.

What’s your takeaway on your X2 now a couple of years into spinning with it? Still loving it?

What’s your takeaway on your X2 now a couple of years into spinning with it? Still loving it?
I absolutely love it! I'm glad I made the jump from the Debut Carbon to the X2, especially with the deal I got at the time and considering how much they go for now! I think it was the right choice in that price range and It's a definite step up in sound quality, not to mention more robust parts, such as a bigger chassis, better isolation feet, better bearings, heavier better platter (acrylic) and better tonearm (9") 🙂

I absolutely love it! I'm glad I made the jump from the Debut Carbon to the X2, especially with the deal I got at the time and considering how much they go for now! I think it was the right choice in that price range and It's a definite step up in sound quality, not to mention more robust parts, such as a bigger chassis, better isolation feet, better bearings, heavier better platter (acrylic) and better tonearm (9") 🙂
I remember those eBay listings from 2020 I believe it was? An absolute steal at this point. I almost pulled the trigger myself, had I not just gotten a new table then.

Sorry if I'm repeating something but Pro Ject promo buy an evo or a pro register and upload receipt they will send a free Olympia stylus thru 12/31/22

got the acrylic platter for my pro-ject. I haven't really many chances to listen to it yet, though. My wife started a new job a month ago, we both work from home, and she's constantly in meetings so I can't really blast any records like I want to. Looking forward to when I can. So far, I *think it's a bit less static-y (which was what I was having issues with).

So, my Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo, which I've had about six months, has started doing a weird thing today: about every other time I start it up, the platter starts spinning the wrong direction. If I then turn it off and on again, it goes the right way. Anyone have this issue before?

So, my Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo, which I've had about six months, has started doing a weird thing today: about every other time I start it up, the platter starts spinning the wrong direction. If I then turn it off and on again, it goes the right way. Anyone have this issue before?
Dont know what the answer to that issue is, but did want to say that I enjoyed reading your signature.. good stuff.. lol

I have absolutely heard of this happening to others on here although it hasn't personally happened to me. I believe it's a fairly easy fix but pretty sure it'll have to be repaired through their service centre. Don't think you can do it yourself. But it's certainly under warranty, I would give them a call and ask where to take it for warranty repair.

I had that happen on one of my turntables back in the day. You’ve had a capacitor in the power supply go bad. Ship it off for repair.

Limited edition Exorcist variant. Quite the rarity.

Coriolis effect
bartvsaustralia_01.jpg

Hi everyone: hoping to tap into the incredible knowledge on this thread. I'm considering picking up an X2, a *massive* upgrade over the Sanyo TP-1012 passed down from my dear ma and pa. Here are my questions for yall:
- Will my Parasound zPhono serve as a solid preamp?
- What are your opinions on the Moonstone cart?
- Is the $1499 Crutchfield price a good price?
- Should I consider any other tables at the $1500 or thereabout mark?
Appreciate your help.

Hi everyone: hoping to tap into the incredible knowledge on this thread. I'm considering picking up an X2, a *massive* upgrade over the Sanyo TP-1012 passed down from my dear ma and pa. Here are my questions for yall:
- Will my Parasound zPhono serve as a solid preamp?
- What are your opinions on the Moonstone cart?
- Is the $1499 Crutchfield price a good price?
- Should I consider any other tables at the $1500 or thereabout mark?
Appreciate your help.
Studiodeck and Technics SL1200GR tend to be popular options around these parts for that price range.

Back