The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

Sadly, the auto-cue lever on my Project Debut Carbon DC has bit the dust. The teensy screw that held it in fell out. I found a video on youtube but it involves taking off tonearm and soldering the wires to fix it. That suprised me because the lifter is not electric at all. Not sure its worth fixing as its out of warranty and I technically can live without a cue lever, but its gonna make me want a new turntable, lol.
This happened on mine a while back as well, but you can still use the lever! It just goes all the way down to the table instead of stopping short.

Really happy with my new turntable. I figure anything was a step up from the LP60 I had, but the turntable lab package (project debut carbon evo and audioengine A5+) plus the audioengine S8 sub I bought (not really visible behind the crates) have made such a HUGE difference, so much quieter and dynamic than the setup to which I'd become accustomed. And, yes, that's me wearing zumba shorts in the mirror, with precariously placed copies of The Knife's "Silent Shout" and Mental Cruelty's "A Hill to Die Upon" underneath. I need to put it through more intense tests but, oddly, the first record that really shook the wall next to my office computer (in the adjacent room) was... Harry Styles' "Harry's House."

IMG_4718.jpg

Really happy with my new turntable. I figure anything was a step up from the LP60 I had, but the turntable lab package (project debut carbon evo and audioengine A5+) plus the audioengine S8 sub I bought (not really visible behind the crates) have made such a HUGE difference, so much quieter and dynamic than the setup to which I'd become accustomed. And, yes, that's me wearing zumba shorts in the mirror, with precariously placed copies of The Knife's "Silent Shout" and Mental Cruelty's "A Hill to Die Upon" underneath. I need to put it through more intense tests but, oddly, the first record that really shook the wall next to my office computer (in the adjacent room) was... Harry Styles' "Harry's House."

View attachment 153342
I'd recommend getting the speakers off the table, or at least decoupling them with some foam, so you don't get vibrations feeding back into the deck.

I'd recommend getting the speakers off the table, or at least decoupling them with some foam, so you don't get vibrations feeding back into the deck.
I'll probably have to look into the foam option, as I've run out of space. I'm not even sure how to expand the collection at this point, as there are 9 crates lining one wall, and I'm trying to figure out how to fit another. I may just have to buy shelving and move the collecting into a separate room. I'm not sure my wife would like an entire wall dedicated to a record collection.

I'll probably have to look into the foam option, as I've run out of space. I'm not even sure how to expand the collection at this point, as there are 9 crates lining one wall, and I'm trying to figure out how to fit another. I may just have to buy shelving and move the collecting into a separate room. I'm not sure my wife would like an entire wall dedicated to a record collection.

Yeah either isolating the speakers with the foam pads you can get or getting an isolation platform for the table (you can actually make good and cheap homemade versions of these with ikea butchers block chopping boards and rubber/sobothane feet) or preferably both would make a huge difference. Because if the bass is shaking the wall it’s shaking the table/arm/needle and that’s going to reduce the sound quality.

Sadly, the auto-cue lever on my Project Debut Carbon DC has bit the dust. The teensy screw that held it in fell out. I found a video on youtube but it involves taking off tonearm and soldering the wires to fix it. That suprised me because the lifter is not electric at all. Not sure its worth fixing as its out of warranty and I technically can live without a cue lever, but its gonna make me want a new turntable, lol.
You can get the Technics SL-100C from Amazon. 😉

Have you read any impressions of the Debut Pro vs the S anywhere, Joe?

No I’ve not seen anything reviewing the S yet but it’d be the one of the two that’d interest me more from a cartridge swapping/mono cart point of view. In all honesty I can’t see there being enormous differences given that they are pretty much identical tables.

Have you read any impressions of the Debut Pro vs the S anywhere, Joe?

Here’s one.

What interests me even more is the CEO of Pro-Ject being quoted as saying they aren’t done with S arms. An X2, or even X8, with an S arm would be a very interesting proposition!

I’m looking to start small upgrades to my pro-ject début carbon evo. I have just the stock version from turntable lab. I’m thinking either an acrylic platter, or just an acrylic mat with a weight of some kind. Any ideas/thoughts?

I’m looking to start small upgrades to my pro-ject début carbon evo. I have just the stock version from turntable lab. I’m thinking either an acrylic platter, or just an acrylic mat with a weight of some kind. Any ideas/thoughts?

The acrylic platter is a great call. The model of debut I got came with it but anyone I’ve spoken to who upgraded to it has always said it was a big step up from the stock.

I use the pro-ject clamp it and it’s a really good clamp. I don’t know about the evo but on my older debut pro-ject advised use of a clamp and not a weight.

These are the upgrades I did to mine.

Custom isolation box. Looks really nice but not essential unless you have bouncy floors or are getting vibrations affecting the tonearm. I kinda did it for the look which is over kill but still.

2M stylus upgrade to blue. Bang for buck the best upgrade to the stock. The red isn’t a favourite of mine but the blue is really good.

Clamp. As I said above I got the manufacturers clamp. Don’t know if it made that much of a difference to sound but it has definitely helped eliminate slipping on the acrylic platter and had made certain warps more playable.

Sub platter and bearing. This isn’t cheap but it’s the single biggest upgrade to sound I’ve done. Made everything that big tighter. Pro-Ject / Rega Subplatter And Bearing Upgrades.

Linear power supply. Skip this one, not necessary, just scratched an itch for me…

Last edited:
Yes I would recommend getting the acrylic platter and swap the stock Ortofon 2M Red stylus for the 2M Blue and voilà!

Yes I would recommend getting the acrylic platter and swap the stock Ortofon 2M Red stylus for the 2M Blue and voilà!
1) Did you have to adjust anything with the acrylic platter? The top amazon review says that this platter is 2mm thicker than the metal one + mat, and I believe my TT doesn't have any kind of tone arm vertical adjustment
2) I've got the US bought version that comes with the Sumiko Rainier cartridge, not sure how comparable that is to the ortofon 2M red or blue. I think the next one up from that is Oyster or something.

Back