The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

Hi everyone: hoping to tap into the incredible knowledge on this thread. I'm considering picking up an X2, a *massive* upgrade over the Sanyo TP-1012 passed down from my dear ma and pa. Here are my questions for yall:
- Will my Parasound zPhono serve as a solid preamp?
- What are your opinions on the Moonstone cart?
- Is the $1499 Crutchfield price a good price?
- Should I consider any other tables at the $1500 or thereabout mark?
Appreciate your help.
I have an X2 and love it but mine is the Euro version which came with the Ortofon 2M Silver, so I have zero experience with the Moonstone cartridge 🤷

Hi y'all,

I used to be semi-active on the old forum but for a variety of reasons haven't been on N&G. Anyway, I have a quick question. On Sunday morning I woke up to this:

IMG_6857.jpeg

For reference, this is what it normally looks like (with the culprit):

IMG_1530 copy.jpg

I run a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with an AT-VMN95ML and Turntable Lab record weight. The stylus is miraculously undamaged and everything actually sounds right. I took everything apart and it looks like the platter bearing is slightly bent but otherwise everything is in good shape. I'm planning to upgrade the subplatter this summer, but is there anything less obvious that I should check before I start spinning more regularly? Thank you all in advance!

Hi y'all,

I used to be semi-active on the old forum but for a variety of reasons haven't been on N&G. Anyway, I have a quick question. On Sunday morning I woke up to this:

View attachment 173572

View attachment 173574

I run a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon with an AT-VMN95ML and Turntable Lab record weight. The stylus is miraculously undamaged and everything actually sounds right. I took everything apart and it looks like the platter bearing is slightly bent but otherwise everything is in good shape. I'm planning to upgrade the subplatter this summer, but is there anything less obvious that I should check before I start spinning more regularly? Thank you all in advance!
Hope the cats alright !

634D11C2-6D24-48F3-B21A-9253CF4B2863.jpeg

Hi y'all,

View attachment 173572

View attachment 173574

Good Lord, ouch.

Does the bent bearing noticeably affect rotation, or introduce any wow/flutter?

Good Lord, ouch.

Does the bent bearing noticeably affect rotation, or introduce any wow/flutter?
No, not that I can notice at least. I just used an app to check the speed. The only thing is that when I put the weight on the spindle the platter drags a bit so I haven't been using the weight.

I posted this pic because this little darling is a regular turntable walker - hence all mine have dust covers on all time - I am waiting for the day of a similar incident- my other two are much more turntable friendly
Yea, this one is very interested in the turntable. Our other cat pretty much leaves everything alone and just ruins our furniture.

Help, got the new stones album love it skipping at end of last song side 1
pro ject debut carbon has been perfect for 9 months
next album fagens night fly skipping mid way through some skipping on zuma too these have never skipped before
checking its level stylus pressure good exchanged olympia sylus for original ranier removed anti skate weight
multiple tries and skipping seems hit or miss ????

any ideas
thanks

next album fagens night fly skipping mid way through some skipping on zuma too these have never skipped before
checking its level stylus pressure good exchanged olympia sylus for original ranier removed anti skate weight

any ideas
thanks
You removed your antiskate? Wouldn’t you want to add more in this case potentially?

Did tracking force get loosened up?

well cant really add more with the pro ject just a weight hanging on fishing line but i need the stylus to move on not back
tracking and alignment both good

thanks

any ideas
thanks

You removed your antiskate? Wouldn’t you want to add more in this case potentially?

Did tracking force get loosened up?
Agreed, I keep the anti-skate weight in place on my carbon and no issues

well cant really add more with the pro ject just a weight hanging on fishing line but i need the stylus to move on not back
tracking and alignment both good

thanks

You can add more and take it off. The bit that the loop goes over has 3 notches. The one on the inside has the least tracking force and the one on the outside has the most. The manual will tell you which is the best match for your cartridge.

Is there anyway that you could be getting acoustic feedback into your table? ie bookshelf speakers on the same surface as it or floor standers to near it? This may cause skipping on more bass heavy tracks.

Last edited:

any ideas
thanks
Check your anti skate

thanks Joe and Oldwhite
zu dw on other wall concrete floor carpet
right / i noticed the cord to anti skate looked curved thought it could be hanging up / been hanging there for 9 months/ so i took it off and no difference

Back