The Pro-Ject Pergola - Questions, Answers, Advice & Chat

thanks Joe and Oldwhite
zu dw on other wall concrete floor carpet
right / i noticed the cord to anti skate looked curved thought it could be hanging up / been hanging there for 9 months/ so i took it off and no difference

Huh? Chord to antiskate? I’m not sure what you mean by that? It’s just a weight on fishing twine with a loop at the other end. It attaches to a post at one end, the post has 3 notches that increase the force as you move out, and hangs over a thin metal support.

thanks Joe and Oldwhite
zu dw on other wall concrete floor carpet
right / i noticed the cord to anti skate looked curved thought it could be hanging up / been hanging there for 9 months/ so i took it off and no difference
No difference? But you’re seeing a difference now?

cord = what seems to be mono fishing line connected to little weight
right 3 notches for adjustment
seems to be a bend in the fishing line part / from just hanging there ??? and i think its putting more pressure on the tone arm near the end of the lp
seems better without it so.....

thanks for the responses.

cord = what seems to be mono fishing line connected to little weight
right 3 notches for adjustment
seems to be a bend in the fishing line part / from just hanging there ??? and i think its putting more pressure on the tone arm near the end of the lp
seems better without it so.....

thanks for the responses.

Does the arm not pull badly bad towards the outside of the record when you lift it? Mine does without the anti skate on!

no .....mine comes straight up and straight down without the weight..... always has even with it

FYI if you have a pro ject debut be very careful with the screw that holds the metal loop for the anti skate weight
I loosened mine a bit and heard a click .....yep a screw on the other side came off ....I can hear it sliding around when i tilt the table
there's a cover on the bottom that caught it ....don't know if I will try and fix its not skipping and sounds great

thanks for your replies.

no .....mine comes straight up and straight down without the weight..... always has even with it

FYI if you have a pro ject debut be very careful with the screw that holds the metal loop for the anti skate weight
I loosened mine a bit and heard a click .....yep a screw on the other side came off ....I can hear it sliding around when i tilt the table
there's a cover on the bottom that caught it ....don't know if I will try and fix its not skipping and sounds great

thanks for your replies.

It’s the bolt that also holds the tonearm to the plinth. I know because I had to loosen the tonearm to put a VTA spacer underneath the arm. The nut you’re talking about is inside the rca box. You need to take out one of its screws, and carefully loosen the other, to rotate it out of the way to access the nut that attaches to the other side.

yes sir they are clean been anal about that since 72 when i bought my first album

thanks Joe for the heads up on the rca box i put the weight hanger back on just now and the weight
no skipps from previous skipping spots on records... whattttt

im thinking the nylon line on the anti skate weight......that new stones album groves run almost to the label and i dont think my tonearm has ever been that far....when i took the weight off that line has a bend in it from hanging and i think that was putting more weight anti skate on the arm .... i think being off of the turntable a few days gave it time to relax......time will tell

thanks for all the replies

FYI
Spun a lot of records in the last 12 days and nights. Not a single skip.
I have been at this since the 70's and never had such a crazy thing happen, but all is good now and I really didnt change a thing.

Have fun, keep em spinning.

Got a question for Debut Carbon owners:

I've had my DC for better part of a decade now, havent had a single issue with it. I have noticed in recent spins that the platter itself has a wobble to it. I've reseated the subplatter and the platter but it didnt solve the issue. Doesn't impact playback, to my ears, essentially looks to the eye like a slightly warped record.

ezgif-3-965204b91b.gif

Anybody else ever experience a similar issue?

I am thinking the bearing may be worn out. The standard OEM bearing is a $10 part and seems easy enough to replace, but then there's the $200+ upgrade from Acoustand:

Pro-Ject / Rega Subplatter And Bearing Upgrades.

If it is indeed the bearing, is it worth it to take the plunge on the upgraded bearing or just stick to the OEM?

Got a question for Debut Carbon owners:

I've had my DC for better part of a decade now, havent had a single issue with it. I have noticed in recent spins that the platter itself has a wobble to it. I've reseated the subplatter and the platter but it didnt solve the issue. Doesn't impact playback, to my ears, essentially looks to the eye like a slightly warped record.

View attachment 191725

Anybody else ever experience a similar issue?

I am thinking the bearing may be worn out. The standard OEM bearing is a $10 part and seems easy enough to replace, but then there's the $200+ upgrade from Acoustand:

Pro-Ject / Rega Subplatter And Bearing Upgrades.

If it is indeed the bearing, is it worth it to take the plunge on the upgraded bearing or just stick to the OEM?

Something isn’t sitting right there. Not so much the wobble but the fact that the platter seems quite high on the sub platter? Maybe I’m imagining. Do you remember to oil the bearing every year?

So the upgraded bearing and subplatter is excellent. Much better quality and build on both and the new sub platter has serious heft. My take away was tighter bass and better speed stability. I have the model before, same sub platter but the Delrin bearing, the upgrade to the brass bearing has accounted for the jump in price (it was £80 when I bought) but should also be better. Whether that's worth the extra money to you only you can answer, all I can say is if I bought another debut, or an x2, I’d be buying this alongside it without hesitation.

Something isn’t sitting right there. Not so much the wobble but the fact that the platter seems quite high on the sub platter? Maybe I’m imagining. Do you remember to oil the bearing every year?

So the upgraded bearing and subplatter is excellent. Much better quality and build on both and the new sub platter has serious heft. My take away was tighter bass and better speed stability. I have the model before, same sub platter but the Delrin bearing, the upgrade to the brass bearing has accounted for the jump in price (it was £80 when I bought) but should also be better. Whether that's worth the extra money to you only you can answer, all I can say is if I bought another debut, or an x2, I’d be buying this alongside it without hesitation.

I've actually never oiled the bearing (i know, i know) which is why I'm thinking that it's worn out and causing the wobble. Height is an optical illusion from the camera lens, platter is less than 1/4" off the deck.

I may just get the OEM bearing and swap that in to start as it's so damn cheap, then get the upgrade later in the year.

I've actually never oiled the bearing (i know, i know) which is why I'm thinking that it's worn out and causing the wobble. Height is an optical illusion from the camera lens, platter is less than 1/4" off the deck.

I may just get the OEM bearing and swap that in to start as it's so damn cheap, then get the upgrade later in the year.

Get a bottle of the oil and a new belt while you are at it. Should probably re oil every year and change the belt every couple in my experience!

Oh man, sorry to hear that Joe

I have never see a platter wobbling like that

I couldn't find a belt in this country for less than $40 shipped. Have one coming from Portugal for $14.95 free shipping. Looks like a month to get here. We shall see

Oh man, sorry to hear that Joe

I have never see a platter wobbling like that

I couldn't find a belt in this country for less than $40 shipped. Have one coming from Portugal for $14.95 free shipping. Looks like a month to get here. We shall see

Ah it happens I’m definitely not the first on here and I won’t be the last. Those wires are thin and those tabs are not the most robust. At least it’s mendable and I can dig into my CDs for a few weeks!

How do you go about oiling the bearing(s)?

I have what I think is an old Debut III (bought it new ~20 years ago, and I can find no identifying marks on it).

It has been making what I can only describe as a 'groaning' sound when I start it up for quite some time. I have changed the belt out reasonably recently, but that didn't make any difference. After playing a few records, the groan stops, so I'm not sure what's causing it.

Back