The Grammy Awards Thread

Hate how they are wasting a gwen stefani performance on a blake Shelton duet. Her stuff is so much more interesting

Funny, I actually disagree and thought she was great tonight, a bit subdued and less screechy than usual (and ima fan of hers) And the Blake song was pretty enjoyable!

I made that post before she performed. I did end up enjoying it quite a bit but it just sounds like every country duet.

I didn't watch, but I'm going to check out performances this morning.

Billie - damn girl! But also, well deserved. She is an incredibly important artist and I'm glad that was validated last night.

The only text I had from my mom this morning about last night: "Watch Demi Lovato's performance. WOW!" I'm so excited for Demi. Her song, Sober, was one of the more gut wrenching pop moments of the last several years, especially knowing that an OD almost took her life a few months later. She is having a well deserved come back!

Demi Lovato...damn.

When she stopped the song at the beginning, my heart stopped beating for a moment. Very raw and powerful. I hope she is getting the help she needs, because singing how "nobody's listening to [her]" and how "[she] needs someone" at such a public, high profile event could be seen as a continual cry for help.

All in all, I liked this year's Grammys more than the past few years.
Very excited to see Billie sweep the big 4. Tyler the Creater had my favorite performance of the night. Gary Clark Jr. was also outstanding. Alicia Keys did wonderful as always.

I do wish we had a few less performances and a few more award speeches. I would have loved to hear speeches from The Chemical Brothers, Gary Clark Jr., Tool, Cage The Elephant, Vampire Weekend, Anderson .Paak and many others. I think a lot of big names didn't get any screen time, which is unfortunate.

Very excited to see Billie sweep the big 4. Tyler the Creater had my favorite performance of the night. Gary Clark Jr. was also outstanding. Alicia Keys did wonderful as always.

I do wish we had a few less performances and a few more award speeches. I would have loved to hear speeches from The Chemical Brothers, Gary Clark Jr., Tool, Cage The Elephant, Vampire Weekend, Anderson .Paak and many others. I think a lot of big names didn't get any screen time, which is unfortunate.

Cut the awful Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani duet.

Or the Aerosmith/Run DMC reunion. I get the importance and like Run DMC, but I do not want to see Tyler's disgusting mug on my tv screen. What a creep.

Also wish FKA Twigs had actually sung during the Prince tribute. Or they had H.E.R. do it instead. Girl can shred and has a great voice too. Why Usher?

The event did feel less "corporate-y" than previous years. And with that, the weight of the event also felt less and felt more like a gathering of creatives showcasing their talent, which is a positive.

IMO, the artists' performances may as well be their "speeches". Hearing them talk is always great, but I'd rather hear more expression via performance.

Cut the awful Blake Shelton/Gwen Stefani duet.

Or the Aerosmith/Run DMC reunion. I get the importance and like Run DMC, but I do not want to see Tyler's disgusting mug on my tv screen. What a creep.

Also wish FKA Twigs had actually sung during the Prince tribute. Or they had H.E.R. do it instead. Girl can shred and has a great voice too. Why Usher?
Have you been following the Aerosmith and their drummer story? :(

I just googled it and it confused me more. They're trying to prevent him from playing due to injury?
It's confusing, isn't it I am quite sure there are multiple sides to this. But my understanding is that yeah, he was not able to play for a bit. And now he thinks he is but Aerosmith doesn't feel he's quite fit yet. So they blocked him from returning to practice. They have been together 40+ years. I can not imagine the gut wrenching discussions and decisions parties involved had to make.

IMO, the artists' performances may as well be their "speeches". Hearing them talk is always great, but I'd rather hear more expression via performance.
That's a fair point. But I still wish we could have seen more from a larger collection of artists.

Chemical Brothers, Anderson Paak, and Lady Gaga/Bradley Cooper all had more than one win for the night and zero mention on the broadcast. I'd assume they probably weren't there, but it would have been good for them to get some mention on the screen. But we had a lengthy performance from Ariana Grande, who didn't win any awards. She did have more nominations, but still, that's the type of thing that makes it feel a little lopsided in the wrong direction to me. The screen time was so pop focused, but so much more is represented in awards with zero mention in the actual broadcast. I kind of wish they did an early broadcast in place of some of the red carpet stuff honestly. Even if it was on a cable channel or something.

Last edited:
Couple of random thoughts on the Grammys:

1) The producers need to dial back the wacky combinations of artists from clashing backgrounds that they have fallen in love with in recent years. We all know it's an effort to try and generate a special/viral moment, but most of them just end up being a mess. Just let the individual artists do their thing. That doesn't mean that they still can't do a bloated, over the top extravagant performance, it just means that maybe you don't try and force 5 different artists from decidedly different genres into one performance.

2) Bring the awards back to the show. It feels like only about 8 awards are given out during the actual broadcast these days. Cut a few of the performances, and let some of these winners get some visibility.

3) If you're going to organize a star studded tribute performance, give it some real thought. When I think of Prince, and who could do a helluva tribute performance for him, Usher is pretty far down the list. There's nothing wrong with Usher really, I just didn't feel the genuine spirit of Prince or his style in that performance. I get it, Usher is part of another Prince tribute deal that CBS is putting together, but, give Janelle Monae a call. Sheila E. was a good pick...so go and find others that Prince collaborated with that are still active in the industry. Maybe Rosie Gaines from the New Power Generation band would be interested in singing on 'Diamonds & Pearls' with Justin Timberlake or something. Text Mavis. Brittany Howard in in the house, she could probably do something interesting, and she's a great guitarist. And it isn't just this one...the Bowie tribute a few years back was pretty weak as well. As was last year's Motown tribute featuring...(checks notes)...Jennifer Lopez.

4) Let Bonnie Raitt sing John Prine's 'Angel From Montgomery' every year. Every. Damn. Year.

Back