The Grammy Awards Thread

I think Beyonce is similar to Beck in respect to the Grammys. Not to degrade either of their works, I love them both... but either of them could sneeze into a mic and get a Grammy nom for it at this point.
If they did a duet of fart noises it would probably win 3 Grammys.

And I would probably pre-order it blindly.
Lol. I am actually surprised I surpressed my Bey-stan-ing and didn't pre-order the Lion King soundtrack. But yeah, I'd probably pre-order that fart project too.

Of the 2 projects she had out this year, Homecoming is far and away superior.

I think Beyonce is similar to Beck in respect to the Grammys. Not to degrade either of their works, I love them both... but either of them could sneeze into a mic and get a Grammy nom for it at this point.
If they did a duet of fart noises it would probably win 3 Grammys.

And I would probably pre-order it blindly.
Bey’s fart octaves absolutely rip (heh) apart Beck’s. Together though, they would stink up the room with impeccable grace.

After looking at these, I think Billie/Finneas win the night with the most awards, taking home take home 5-6 awards combined. It would be amazing if Finneas wins producer of the year with only one album credit.
I think Gary Clark Jr. will win a few as well. He's in a lot of categories where you don't normally see a radio name.

I want Gaffigan to win a comedy Grammy, but I think Chappelle will take it. His last stand up with RUTHLESS. I would be equally happy with Aziz because he was a little different in his approach. A nice change of pace for his comeback.

I didn't realize A Star Is Born was in this Grammy set. That might shake things up in the soundtrack realm.

I have to laugh that Tool went soooo hard with the physical release for Fear Inoculum, but didn't even get a nom for packaging or special limited packaging. But I bet they take home at least one Grammy.

My thoughts:
-I was surprised Lover didn't get an album of the year nomination
-Hoping Lizzo and Taylor win as many as possible
-Hope Black Pumas grabs best new artist, but doubt they'll get it over Billie or Lizzo
-I hope Gary Clark comes home with a couple
-I still say Only Human by the Jonas Brothers is the best pop song of the year, sad there wasn't a nomination there, but happy to see Sucker in the Group Performance
-Not surprised by all the H.E.R. love given how much she was showcased last year
-I didn't like the Beyonce Lion King or Ed Sheeran albums, thought there were better options there
-Happy to see Brittany Howard and Yola getting some love
-Surprised the Maren Morris album didn't get a country album nom
-Hope .Paak brings home the R&B Grammys
-If Lizzo's Jerome wins Best Traditional R&B Performance that would be hilarious haha
-Apparently I don't listen to Grammy worth hip hop because I don't know what any of the Rap song nominations are haha
-ROCKETMAN!
-Cool to see Dan Auerbach get some Producer of the Year love, but my vote goes to Ricky Reed on that one
-One of my close friends could get a Grammy for his contributions to Bon Iver's album so I'm pulling for i,i victories too!

-Lover not nominated for AOTY, not fair. I mean, it is not the best album of the year at all, but considering all the shit that Taylor's been going through with the masters, they should've nominated her here.
-The Cranberries are nominated for Best Rock Album. Yeah.
-The Latin Pop Album is a summary of why latin pop is a disgusting vomit.
-The Latin Rock, Urban or Alternativa album category is a joke. Why don't they include jazz, tango and classical music?
-Che Apalache are nominated for Folk Album!
-Madonna received only one nomination, and for a remix. Because Madame X was goddam awful.

Lover not nominated for AOTY, not fair. I mean, it is not the best album of the year at all, but considering all the shit that Taylor's been going through with the masters, they should've nominated her here.

See I'm not a fan of taylor at all but you are totally right here. Idk man the grammys have loved her so much in the past I just dont get the sudden cold shoulder

22. Nipsey Hussle
23. HIGHER - DJ Khaled Featuring Nipsey Hussle & John Legend
24. BAD IDEA Chancelor Bennett, Cordae Dunston, Uforo Ebong & Daniel Hackett, songwriters (YBN Cordae Featuring Chance The Rapper)
25. THE LOST BOY - YBN Cordae

Thats who I think will win.

See I'm not a fan of taylor at all but you are totally right here. Idk man the grammys have loved her so much in the past I just dont get the sudden cold shoulder
The voting is done by "the industry." It's possible her very public feuds with her former label are not being well received by her "peers." Aka, she might be getting downvoted because she's becoming "bad for business."
That's all speculation though.

It's also possible that her album just didn't stand out in the crowd of pop this year. I know this album hasn't had as long of a shelf life yet, but it is her lowest selling album to date. The majority of her back catalogue is 6x Platinum or greater. And she's up against new artists bringing new sounds to the table. The pop categories look very different this year than they have in the past. TSwift is still an icon, but she had immense competition this year. The fact that she's writing most of her songs doesn't hold the same weight that it did a few years ago. And especially not when you bring industry metrics into the mix (for this album). Those numbers do matter for the Grammys, especially in her categories.

The voting is done by "the industry." It's possible her very public feuds with her former label are not being well received by her "peers." Aka, she might be getting downvoted because she's becoming "bad for business."
That's all speculation though.

It's also possible that her album just didn't stand out in the crowd of pop this year. I know this album hasn't had as long of a shelf life yet, but it is her lowest selling album to date. The majority of her back catalogue is 6x Platinum or greater. And she's up against new artists bringing new sounds to the table. The pop categories look very different this year than they have in the past. TSwift is still an icon, but she had immense competition this year. The fact that she's writing most of her songs doesn't hold the same weight that it did a few years ago. And especially not when you bring industry metrics into the mix (for this album). Those numbers do matter for the Grammys, especially in her categories.

It's true, Lover is not her best album (it's definitely not even the best pop album of the year). But I think the nomination would've been important in a symbolical level. As far as I know, some (most) people of the so-called Academy are musicians themselves, so I guess the nomination could've been a way of saying "hey, TS is right, masters should belong to the musicians".

And the Grammys are all for symbolical nominations. I mean, THE FUCKING CRANBERRIES, really?
(I think it was NME -I can be wrong- who says that The cranberries will win this year. That would the biggest wtf of the year)

It's true, Lover is not her best album (it's definitely not even the best pop album of the year). But I think the nomination would've been important in a symbolical level. As far as I know, some (most) people of the so-called Academy are musicians themselves, so I guess the nomination could've been a way of saying "hey, TS is right, masters should belong to the musicians".

And the Grammys are all for symbolical nominations. I mean, THE FUCKING CRANBERRIES, really?
(I think it was NME -I can be wrong- who says that The cranberries will win this year. That would the biggest wtf of the year)
Oh yeah, I totally agree about the symbolic wins and noms. I was kind of getting at two things - one is that a symbolic nom might not have fit into the pop realm this year because pop is going through a pretty big and interesting evolution at the moment. I'm speculating that they only squeeze in symbolic noms when the category also doesn't have as many strong stand outs.

My other speculation - again big speculation here - is maybe she was left off as a statement of symbolism. Maybe behind all the press TSwift is generating, other artists and industry insiders are not on her side? Several artists make a large portion of the post-performance income by starting their own labels, elevating new artists, producing, etc. By siding with the idea that artist doesn't have to honor active contracts they might see an immediate and/or long term threat to their personal income and investments. I think the industry has largely moved away from the somewhat predatory contracts of the 80's and 90's. Labels don't hold the absolute power they once did. But allowing artists to break existing contacts outside of courtrooms based on success and public opinion, well that sets a different precedent. It's one that might not be heavily agreed with.

This is all getting a little tin-hat conspiracy theory at this point. I could be WAY off base. Also not trying to start a big TSwift vs label discussion. We should move that to a TSwift thread if we're going to have it. I'm just saying I see a couple potential reasons why she might have been left off some of the big 4 awards. If Lover was a better album, then it would be more unusual. But (in my eyes) it felt like a back slide for TSwift and any baggage at all feels like enough to keep it out of the top ranking noms.

Oh yeah, I totally agree about the symbolic wins and noms. I was kind of getting at two things - one is that a symbolic nom might not have fit into the pop realm this year because pop is going through a pretty big and interesting evolution at the moment. I'm speculating that they only squeeze in symbolic noms when the category also doesn't have as many strong stand outs.

My other speculation - again big speculation here - is maybe she was left off as a statement of symbolism. Maybe behind all the press TSwift is generating, other artists and industry insiders are not on her side? Several artists make a large portion of the post-performance income by starting their own labels, elevating new artists, producing, etc. By siding with the idea that artist doesn't have to honor active contracts they might see an immediate and/or long term threat to their personal income and investments. I think the industry has largely moved away from the somewhat predatory contracts of the 80's and 90's. Labels don't hold the absolute power they once did. But allowing artists to break existing contacts outside of courtrooms based on success and public opinion, well that sets a different precedent. It's one that might not be heavily agreed with.

This is all getting a little tin-hat conspiracy theory at this point. I could be WAY off base. Also not trying to start a big TSwift vs label discussion. We should move that to a TSwift thread if we're going to have it. I'm just saying I see a couple potential reasons why she might have been left off some of the big 4 awards. If Lover was a better album, then it would be more unusual. But (in my eyes) it felt like a back slide for TSwift and any baggage at all feels like enough to keep it out of the top ranking noms.

I totally agree with you and your post. I think the suit guys are finally realizing they need to change the way the see and do their shit. Or at least they should pretend they're doing it. TS problem is kind of old school; it couldn't happen to a brand new artist who can make a whole record in their bathroom without asking one dollar to the record company for it, therefore they can keep the masters.
It's also a strange year for the rock album category. It's even weirder and broad than the alternative album (which has always been the stupidest category on the Grammys).

I want to watch the awards show because the drama and speeches will be *chef's kiss* but I don't want to give them ratings they don't deserve.

I'M TORN
Very much agree. I want to support the artists but not the academy. I do kinda hope this prompts a cleaning of house in the way that harvey/epstein/singer/spacey did in film.

Very much agree. I want to support the artists but not the academy. I do kinda hope this prompts a cleaning of house in the way that harvey/epstein/singer/spacey did in film.

I really hope the artists start making a stand and force the Grammys to shape up and clean house of the corruption

Pre telecast has started. Billie is officially a grammy winner

Back