The Grammy Awards Thread

OK - you got me excited with this thread. I didn't realize they were still that far off.

I didn't like this song until I saw this performance. Man, they both have such good voices. But Miley KILLS this. (I can't find a more official video, apologies).

yeah sorry about that lol. the nomination process just passed step one and that got me antsy for the actual nominations coming out

Speaking of incredible Grammy performances...

CHILLS EVERYTIME I WATCH THIS

when she was announced as a nominee last year i never heard of her and had no expectations, and then she blew me away with her amazing album and stellar performance

yeah sorry about that lol. the nomination process just passed step one and that got me antsy for the actual nominations coming out

CHILLS EVERYTIME I WATCH THIS

when she was announced as a nominee last year i never heard of her and had no expectations, and then she blew me away with her amazing album and stellar performance
I forget that people listen to different music and that not everyone even here is in to the same stuff as everyone else.

I do love it when someone from the country/Americans scene gets a little more notice though. Especially her.

Hey, @Teeeee MC McEntire has been getting some notice here as UNC has been using her to promote the Ken Burns doc, which is a whole extra level of cool in my book.

I watched a ton of those Glastonbury performances this year. Because they were easy to find. And they were the official videos, not just someone's cell phone footage uploaded to YouTube. So yes, I would love the Grammys to mimic that.

the joy of the bbc, being a public service broadcaster so much of it is easily available. Also Glastonbury, best festival ever, I need to go back one year...

I forget that people listen to different music and that not everyone even here is in to the same stuff as everyone else.

I do love it when someone from the country/Americans scene gets a little more notice though. Especially her.

Hey, @Teeeee MC McEntire has been getting some notice here as UNC has been using her to promote the Ken Burns doc, which is awhile extra level of cool in my book.
I've seen her posts on IG! I think I saw Kym Register (Loamlands) in one of her pics and secretly hoped they were a power couple.

HC has played a few shows to promote the doc. Is she in it at all? I haven't watched it yet.

I've seen her posts on IG! I think I saw Kym Register (Loamlands) in one of her pics and secretly hoped they were a power couple.

HC has played a few shows to promote the doc. Is she in it at all? I haven't watched it yet.
No. I think Carlile showed up in the end montage, but the doc ends well before they’re on the scene. Kym’s opening for Lee Baines in a couple of weeks, I’m excited. Morgan saw her at a Pride event last weekend.

No. I think Carlile showed up in the end montage, but the doc ends well before they’re on the scene. Kym’s opening for Lee Baines in a couple of weeks, I’m excited. Morgan saw her at a Pride event last weekend.
I didn't know what to listen to next. Problem solved. Currently listening to Loamlands - Sweet High Rise. This album is so great.

I'm just scrolling through some categories and trying to think of some picks... and some wishful thinking.

Best Metal Performance - It would be cool if it was KGATLW - Planet B (Or anything off Infest the Rats Nest)
I have a feeling it will be Tool - Fear Inoculum Unless it wins Best Rock Song.

Best Rock Album - I'd be shocked if Tool isn't nominated. I can't think of any that would beat them out.
Raconteurs will probably get at least one nom in either rock or alternative. Not sure who else would fall in here, but I really think King Gizzard deserves at least one nom in the Rock/Metal categories. I don't expect them to win, but Infest the Rats Nest was one of the best thrash albums in decades, and I think the fact that they are not a pure thrash band makes it even more interesting. Add it to the semi-tied themes/story from Fishing for Fishies - it has deeper insights in the writing than a lot of albums in these categories.

R&B - this is where I think Lizzo takes one home

Country - It will be interesting to see if Sturgil's new album is counted as country or rock. It will be AMAZING/Hilarious if Old Town Road gets a nom under country. Or would that have been last year?

Best Comedy album - I think Chappelle takes this one, but I hope Gaffigan gets another nom. I think he got robbed last year with Nobel Ape. He went into some heavy dark stuff and came out laughing on that one. This year though, Cheppelle by far has the most intelligent and challenging special in my opinion.

Packaging - I think Tool was obviously going for this award with their latest release. It would be cool if they announced a vinyl box in time to be considered for recording and box set, and won both.

Engineering: Non-classical - I think Billie wins here too. Her album has surprisingly connected well with the audiophile community, which is usually a good indicator for this category.

Remixed Recording - Old Town Road has to win this one based on the sheer number of entries. I mean come on, they did like 20 versions of it! lol
I actually have no idea who will win that.

Surround Sound - Did they do a surround mix of the Beatles - Abby Road? If not I feel like Pink Floyd/Roger Waters wins this any year they put out a surround mix.

Music Video - TSwift will be nominated, even though her video is trash. I think Billie - Bad Guy will win. I wouldn't be mad if Lizzo won. I'm not sure who else would be a major contender here.

Lastly, BOLD PREDICTION/HOT TAKE - TSwift wins zero awards this year.

I'm just scrolling through some categories and trying to think of some picks... and some wishful thinking.

Best Metal Performance - It would be cool if it was KGATLW - Planet B (Or anything off Infest the Rats Nest)

Best Rock Album - I'd be shocked if Tool isn't nominated. I can't think of any that would beat them out.
Raconteurs will probably get at least one nom in either rock or alternative. Not sure who else would fall in here, but I really think King Gizzard deserves at least one nom in the Rock/Metal categories. I don't expect them to win, but Infest the Rats Nest was one of the best thrash albums in decades, and I think the fact that they are not a pure thrash band makes it even more interesting. Add it to the semi-tied themes/story from Fishing for Fishies - it has deeper insights in the writing than a lot of albums in these categories.

Country - It will be interesting to see if Sturgil's new album is counted as country or rock. It will be AMAZING/Hilarious if Old Town Road gets a nom under country. Or would that have been last year?

Best Comedy album - I think Chappelle takes this one, but I hope Gaffigan gets another nom. I think he got robbed last year with Nobel Ape. He went into some heavy dark stuff and came out laughing on that one. This year though, Cheppelle by far has the most intelligent and challenging special in my opinion.

Packaging - I think Tool was obviously going for this award with their latest release. It would be cool if they announced a vinyl box in time to be considered for recording and box set, and won both.

Engineering: Non-classical - I think Billie wins here too. Her album has surprisingly connected well with the audiophile community, which is usually a good indicator for this category.

Remixed Recording - Old Town Road has to win this one based on the sheer number of entries. I mean come on, they did like 20 versions of it! lol

Surround Sound - Did they do a surround mix of the Beatles - Abby Road? If not I feel like Pink Floyd/Roger Waters wins this any year they put out a surround mix.

Music Video - TSwift will be nominated, even though her video is trash. I think Billie - Bad Guy will win. I wouldn't be mad if Lizzo won. I'm not sure who else would be a major contender here.

I agree - I don't think Taylor wins anything. Which is a shame. I think the song Lover is her best song.

Ugh, I hope someone other than Tool wins all of the above. I wonder if Sleater Kinney will finally be nominated for anything? It isn't their best album by a long shot, but sometimes awards are given more for the full body of their work. Maybe IDLES too?

I don't think Sturgill will win. I think The High Women take that award. And Old Town Road really should be nominated for song. I think I read that Billboard wouldn't classify it as country and that is why Billy Ray Cyrus joined in on the song, to make it more legit country. Billboard doing that pisses me off. So, I hope the grammys recognize that injustice and nominate it for country categories.

Yeah, the super deluxe Abbey Road has a 5.1

Ugh, I hope someone other than Tool wins all of the above. I wonder if Sleater Kinney will finally be nominated for anything? It isn't their best album by a long shot, but sometimes awards are given more for the full body of their work. Maybe IDLES too?
Tool is already a bit of a Grammy sweetheart, and the units they moved via only selling a super deluxe CD in the modern time is insane. I think they will win any category they get nominated for. The real question in my mind, is will they got some noms outside of Rock/Metal? Album of the year contender? Very doubtful for a win, but a nom would be impressive. I also think IDLES def deserves a nom for something.

Billboard doing that pisses me off. So, I hope the grammys recognize that injustice and nominate it for country categories.
Billboard's move was the only thing that got me to actually listen to the song, so part of the ol' all press is good press idea lol. But it would kind of a cool statement move by the Grammys to take the stance of putting it in Country. Show that maybe they are a little more in touch with the modern scene than Billboard.

Yeah, the super deluxe Abbey Road has a 5.1
Well unless that mix is somehow terribly done, that has to win. That has to be a contender for best box set too.

It should be noted the grammy eligibility year was a month short this year and ended in August so September releases like Sturgill wont be included

It should be noted the grammy eligibility year was a month short this year and ended in August so September releases like Sturgill wont be included
Thanks! That's one thing that always tricks me up. Takes the Abby Road reissue out of the mix too. So the window is September 2018 - August 2019 correct?
That also makes Tool and TSwift's end of August release dates feel much more strategic.

Thanks! That's one thing that always tricks me up. Takes the Abby Road reissue out of the mix too. So the window is September 2018 - August 2019 correct?
That also makes Tool and TSwift's end of August release dates feel much more strategic.

Thats correct! so Taylor, Tool and Lana all got in the eligibility by just a few days. Making em fresh in the mind of voters

Tool is already a bit of a Grammy sweetheart, and the units they moved via only selling a super deluxe CD in the modern time is insane. I think they will win any category they get nominated for. The real question in my mind, is will they got some noms outside of Rock/Metal? Album of the year contender? Very doubtful for a win, but a nom would be impressive. I also think IDLES def deserves a nom for something.

Billboard's move was the only thing that got me to actually listen to the song, so part of the ol' all press is good press idea lol. But it would kind of a cool statement move by the Grammys to take the stance of putting it in Country. Show that maybe they are a little more in touch with the modern scene than Billboard.

Well unless that mix is somehow terribly done, that has to win. That has to be a contender for best box set too.

Maynard needs his MeToo moment(s) to hit right before the voting begins then. Because he does not deserve anything positive in his life. And that's the last I'll bring this thread down with Tool and why they suck.

I'll have more to offer this thread when the nominations are announced, because I'll definitely enjoy speculating on who will win and whatnot. But without a list it just sort of feels like taking shots in the dark for right now. I agree with a lot of what I'm seeing tho. There's no way Billie doesn't come away with BNA - I just hope she avoids the curse.

Back