Television

I ripped through all of The Circle on Netflix and then found the original British version (which has had two seasons). And holy shit it's so much better. I am fully addicted to this show, and am already close to being finished with it.

Honestly haven't watched anything else lately. Just this lovely trash.

That opening episode of Picard was really freaking good. Like, fantastic good. And I'm not a big Star Trek guy, but by god's Patrick Stewart is just wonderful.

Generally agree. He's amazing in it. A couple of the scenes were stumbles for me, expositionally, but no worse than a decent episode of GOT.

Can't wait to see more. My guess is that...

The synthetic rebellion was something to do with a takeover from the Borg. Maybe Lore is involved?

I ripped through all of The Circle on Netflix and then found the original British version (which has had two seasons). And holy shit it's so much better. I am fully addicted to this show, and am already close to being finished with it.

Honestly haven't watched anything else lately. Just this lovely trash.

Reports suggest the Brazilian version will be even better.

@NateOEB - The Bold Type is back!!!!! And it's still good!

@Bennnnn - I started and binged 5 episodes of The Circle. And I am hooked! It's like an updated Big Brother. I have one question though: Does Joey realize he lives alone and doesn't need to yell EVERYTHING out loud to his walls?

My wife and I watched the first 3 eps of The Outsider this weekend. Really good, taut, engaging TV. Haven't read the book, am expecting something a little anti-climactic, but great TV so far.

We also inched forward on Mr. Robot, and have only the second half of the series finale left to watch. I'm not sure I like where the first half went. Hoping for a final hour that surprises me.

@NateOEB - The Bold Type is back!!!!! And it's still good!

@Bennnnn - I started and binged 5 episodes of The Circle. And I am hooked! It's like an updated Big Brother. I have one question though: Does Joey realize he lives alone and doesn't need to yell EVERYTHING out loud to his walls?
Oh yeah the yelling some of them do indoors is hilarious (and can get annoying).

If you like it, I highly recommend the British version if you can find it.

We also inched forward on Mr. Robot, and have only the second half of the series finale left to watch. I'm not sure I like where the first half went. Hoping for a final hour that surprises me.

We watched over half of S4 yesterday...ran out of time to finish the series. The story really stalls in this middle chunk of S4. Longest Xmas Day ever. I remember reading here on the forum there are a couple of fantastic episodes this season...I'm guessing those are yet to come.

We watched over half of S4 yesterday...ran out of time to finish the series. The story really stalls in this middle chunk of S4. Longest Xmas Day ever. I remember reading here on the forum there are a couple of fantastic episodes this season...I'm guessing those are yet to come.
The last several are great. Just keep going. You'll know exactly what I'm talking about when you get there.

I always felt like the mixed blessing of this show is that Esmail seems so meticulous that it feels like *everything* in it is of Great Import, that everything/everyone/every detail will somehow look different once you understand how all the pieces fit together, and that inevitably leads to some disappointment. Likewise, some of the episodes of the series that haven't been great contributions to the overall plot are handled with as much weight as the things that are *really* important. I'm gonna reserve the rest of my thoughts/final judgment until I've seen the very end, but as of right now--as much as I like it--I'm still on the fence about whether the show ever capitalized on what I thought were the dizzying heights of its potential in the first season.

I'm not sure I'll ever get over the sense that there was some sort of abrupt change in the plans for the Wellicks' story. The near-total abandonment of Tyrell as a meaningful presence in the show has always left me wondering if Esmail changed his mind about something along the way.

I always felt like the mixed blessing of this show is that Esmail seems so meticulous that it feels like *everything* in it is of Great Import, that everything/everyone/every detail will somehow look different once you understand how all the pieces fit together, and that inevitably leads to some disappointment. Likewise, some of the episodes of the series that haven't been great contributions to the overall plot are handled with as much weight as the things that are *really* important. I'm gonna reserve the rest of my thoughts/final judgment until I've seen the very end, but as of right now--as much as I like it--I'm still on the fence about whether the show ever capitalized on what I thought were the dizzying heights of its potential in the first season.

I'm not sure I'll ever get over the sense that there was some sort of abrupt change in the plans for the Wellicks' story. The near-total abandonment of Tyrell as a meaningful presence in the show has always left me wondering if Esmail changed his mind about something along the way.

Yep, my final judgments will have to wait until I'm done and I'm not poking around for hints on how this all wraps up, but I had a theory I spun up during S3 and as of now I think I'm way off. There are certain things that have been hinted to or pointed at through the whole run, and I still think maybe it was all deliberate. Or not. I'll check back when I'm done...

Riverdale is going to do Hedwig and the Angry Inch this season for their musical.

i am not pleased about this.
Hedwig is your fave. Riverdale has been .... odd after the last season. Had it been consistently as cheesily good as S1, then this would have been such welcome news. But yeah, I agree. This is going to be a disaster.

Who is playing Hedwig?

Ok, we finished Mr Robot last night. I almost wanted to slow it down, we watched S4 in a week's time. But we had some free time and couldn't resist binging it. It was pretty amazing, S4 had some really creative episodes and then the payoffs were all worth it.

My theory...(that was way off)
During S3 I was so sure time travel was going to be part of S4. Between Angela's moments with her mom and all the Back to the Future references it just seemed like those were hints. I'm not disappointed; I'm glad Esmail took it a direction I didn't predict.

So, what to watch next??

Ok, we finished Mr Robot last night. I almost wanted to slow it down, we watched S4 in a week's time. But we had some free time and couldn't resist binging it. It was pretty amazing, S4 had some really creative episodes and then the payoffs were all worth it.

My theory...(that was way off)
During S3 I was so sure time travel was going to be part of S4. Between Angela's moments with her mom and all the Back to the Future references it just seemed like those were hints. I'm not disappointed; I'm glad Esmail took it a direction I didn't predict.

So, what to watch next??
Do you know which scene I'm talking about now?

That damn show blew my mind. Hard core. I had zero inclination it was going to go the way it did.

I've been recommending Please Like Me a lot lately. It's a lovely comedy out of Australia. You can watch on Hulu. And the creator, Josh Thomas, has a new show out that several of us have found quite charming called It's Gonna Be Ok. Hannah Gadsby appears in later seasons. I think there are 4 season and she shows up in S2 or 3?

Please Like Me is about Josh navigating dating as a gay man. He has a mom with depression, a somewhat clueless but lovable straight roommate and a dad going through a mid life crisis. The show does have a few possibly triggering story lines but they are handled with such care that it is cathartic and healing. The format is like a sitcom in that the episodes are 20ish minutes. But it isn't like a US sitcom, there is a bit more weight to it.

Back