Television

I agree, it's run its course, not in a bad way, but I think they're out of runway to go any further. If you think about it, it's had a lot more plot in 4 seasons than most of Shur's prior sitcoms had over their longer runs, and extending it with more "memory reboots" would have felt really cheap. I think it will be interesting to see how much impact the super serialized style has on sitcoms going forward. As much as I loved this show I still like the less demanding balance of something like Parks & Rec still feels more comfortable.
Agreed, I think if they tried to continue drawing it out they'd end up with a weaker/watered down plot line. There were a few moments in S3 and S4 where I thought it could be wavering but they brought everything together really well. I think we'll see some more 30 min shows with the shorter seasons going forward, especially for tightly written comedies. I think 13 episode seasons have mostly been for hour long shows (not sure, I'm not up to date on tv) but TGP's success shows that the viewership is there for it as long as the quality is.

Edit: As much as I love Parks & Rec (one of my favourites), I don't think S1 or S7 were that great. 4 or 5 seasons (2-6) would have been even better.

Agreed, I think if they tried to continue drawing it out they'd end up with a weaker/watered down plot line. There were a few moments in S3 and S4 where I thought it could be wavering but they brought everything together really well. I think we'll see some more 30 min shows with the shorter seasons going forward, especially for tightly written comedies. I think 13 episode seasons have mostly been for hour long shows (not sure, I'm not up to date on tv) but TGP's success shows that the viewership is there for it as long as the quality is.

Edit: As much as I love Parks & Rec (one of my favourites), I don't think S1 or S7 were that great. 4 or 5 seasons (2-6) would have been even better.
I always skip season 1 of PnR. I just don't like it. Mark is the woooorrrrssstttt! I don't mind season 7. It's nice to see it all tied up.

I always skip season 1 of PnR. I just don't like it. Mark is the woooorrrrssstttt! I don't mind season 7. It's nice to see it all tied up.
Anytime I try to introduce anyone to P&R or The Office I always give them a precautionary warning about the first season. Let them know it’s fun to watch them figure out the shows pacing and flesh out the characters but definitely not essential and definitely not reflective of the quality once those things are established.

Mark's the worst and I don't like how they wrote Leslie. I think of S7 like a goodbye to the fans and I watch it when I rewatch but I don't think it added all the much, especially for April.

I love Parks and Rec so much.

I’ve definitely seen The Office more. Used to re-watch it constantly when it was airing. There’s a huge drop off in quality once Michael leaves.

Parks And Rec I think was pretty amazingly consistent throughout its run. Yeah S1 is pretty weak and not the same as the rest, but S2 forward is my favorite run of a sitcom I think ever. The final season was still funny, but I didn’t love it as much. Haven’t re-watched that one since it aired though. Gonna start doing a full run through soon.

edit: anyway, I am excited to see what The Good Place does in its finale. I think it kind of dropped a bit last season but then picked back up. And I loved the plot/“reveal” of last week’s episode so I wanna know what happens to wrap it up.

the bojack season finale is already stressing me out because halfway through i am broken already but im scared about the basic idea

EDIT: yep the show ended perfectly

Last edited:
I too loved the Good Place ending.

But you know you've watched too many postmodern movies when
You think the taped Q&A is part of the "show" as if they were doing a Taste of Cherry moment. I think that very last "take it sleazy" beat was great, just wish it had more breathing room before launching into that lol.

Finished all of Bojack now. Solid ending. Maybe not the best season (part one included) overall, but a good way to tie up everyone's stories. Maybe not as many jokes packed into these episodes, but the story it was telling/finishing was really engaging, as always. This is one of my favorite shows of the past few years, and although I'm sad to see it go, happy it finished while still on a high note.

Hedwig is your fave. Riverdale has been .... odd after the last season. Had it been consistently as cheesily good as S1, then this would have been such welcome news. But yeah, I agree. This is going to be a disaster.

Who is playing Hedwig?
i don't know. :(

Back