Television

Do you know which scene I'm talking about now?

That damn show blew my mind. Hard core. I had zero inclination it was going to go the way it did.

I've been recommending Please Like Me a lot lately. It's a lovely comedy out of Australia. You can watch on Hulu. And the creator, Josh Thomas, has a new show out that several of us have found quite charming called It's Gonna Be Ok. Hannah Gadsby appears in later seasons. I think there are 4 season and she shows up in S2 or 3?

Please Like Me is about Josh navigating dating as a gay man. He has a mom with depression, a somewhat clueless but lovable straight roommate and a dad going through a mid life crisis. The show does have a few possibly triggering story lines but they are handled with such care that it is cathartic and healing. The format is like a sitcom in that the episodes are 20ish minutes. But it isn't like a US sitcom, there is a bit more weight to it.

You and I like a lot of the same shows so I will definitely check out Please Like Me, thank you!
And for something in the hourlong drama format, I might check out Ray Donovan, or I might give The Wire a second viewing.

As far as the Mr Robot scene, I'm trying to think of one (among so many) that was the most jaw dropping.
Was it
when Elliot finds Elliot at his computer in his apartment?

You and I like a lot of the same shows so I will definitely check out Please Like Me, thank you!
And for something in the hourlong drama format, I might check out Ray Donovan, or I might give The Wire a second viewing.

As far as the Mr Robot scene, I'm trying to think of one (among so many) that was the most jaw dropping.
Was it
when Elliot finds Elliot at his computer in his apartment?

Oh, Ray Donovan is one I've always wanted to watch but don't have Showtime. The Wire is great!

Now, Ran, my good pal. Do you recall a certain pop queen's song being used???? That's the scene.

Carly Rae Jepsen's Run Away With Me when Darlene and Dominique were or were not going to get on the plane. :) It didn't end up the way I wanted it to, but the use of that song made it such a perfect scene to me.

Oh, Ray Donovan is one I've always wanted to watch but don't have Showtime. The Wire is great!

Now, Ran, my good pal. Do you recall a certain pop queen's song being used???? That's the scene.

Carly Rae Jepsen's Run Away With Me when Darlene and Dominique were or were not going to get on the plane. :) It didn't end up the way I wanted it to, but the use of that song made it such a perfect scene to me.
Ray Donovan is so bad but I've seen every episode.

If the choice is between Ray and The Wire I'd recommend The Wire everytime

We're two episodes in on The Outsider on HBO. Ben Mendelsohn is such a great actor.
I am watching it too. I watched episode 4 last night. I'm trying to decide if I like it. I'm also trying to decide if this is about paranormal activity or what.

Ben is great, always.

Oh yeah...that scene was definitely not lost on me and I did think of you obviously because of the CRJ song. (which I loved, it was perfectly placed.)

My wife and I were both on the edge of our seats and urging them on in that scene. "Turn around, go get on the plane! Now you, go back to the plane!" I initially didn't think I was going to like Dom but I definitely changed on that pretty quickly. Also, I LOVED Darlene the entire run.

It's bad? Oh no. What is bad about it?

Isn't Kate Moenig in it?
Everything? But kinda in a good way? I dont know, i love it, but can recognize there isnt anything special about it. Very stereotypical mob-adjacent, Boston strong silent type that has a very big whacky family. He starts as a LA fixer, but isnt exactly that anymore. Yes Kate Moenig is in it as his assistant(although not in the most recent season since I'm assuming she had conflicts with the L Word reboot) shes really good in her limited role. Also Jon Voigt is fantastic as Ray's scumbag father Mickey

Last edited:
Patriot (I guess Season 3 is still a remote possibility, but the more time that passes, the less likely it seems)
Aw man...I missed when I posted this that Amazon finally confirmed last summer that Patriot is in fact effectively canceled. Bummer.

Edit: That said, did anybody watch Conrad's new show, Perpetual Grace Ltd.?

Aw man...I missed when I posted this that Amazon finally confirmed last summer that Patriot is in fact effectively canceled. Bummer.

I havent seen it, but hear good things. It's on the to watch list

I havent seen it, but hear good things. It's on the to watch list
Season 1 was excellent and must see TV.

Season 2 was a drop off in quality. And because of that, I'm ok with it now being canceled.

However, I would just like a streaming platform to put out shows and STICK with them. These 1 and 2 season shows that then get canceled are really irritating.

Edit: I was talking about Patriot, not Perpetual Grace. And I know I might have just confused everyone. Oops.

Season 1 was excellent and must see TV.

Season 2 was a drop off in quality. And because of that, I'm ok with it now being canceled.

However, I would just like a streaming platform to put out shows and STICK with them. These 1 and 2 season shows that then get canceled are really irritating.

Edit: I was talking about Patriot, not Perpetual Grace. And I know I might have just confused everyone. Oops.
Yes I meant Perpetual Grace is on my watchlist. I watched S1 of the Patriot and really liked it, S2 was fine.

Looking forward to it, I just got caught up on the last few episodes last night. I'm going to miss it but I think it's run its course, I'll probably start rewatching from season 1 in the next week or so.

I agree, it's run its course, not in a bad way, but I think they're out of runway to go any further. If you think about it, it's had a lot more plot in 4 seasons than most of Shur's prior sitcoms had over their longer runs, and extending it with more "memory reboots" would have felt really cheap. I think it will be interesting to see how much impact the super serialized style has on sitcoms going forward. As much as I loved this show I still like the less demanding balance of something like Parks & Rec still feels more comfortable.

I agree, it's run its course, not in a bad way, but I think they're out of runway to go any further. If you think about it, it's had a lot more plot in 4 seasons than most of Shur's prior sitcoms had over their longer runs, and extending it with more "memory reboots" would have felt really cheap. I think it will be interesting to see how much impact the super serialized style has on sitcoms going forward. As much as I loved this show I still like the less demanding balance of something like Parks & Rec still feels more comfortable.
I kinda feel like this show would have been best suited for streaming/bingeing platform with a Netflix style season dump. It was certainly one of the more creative Network TV comedies to come out in the past few years for sure.

Last edited:
I kinda feel like this show would be been best suited for streaming/bingeing platform with a Netflix style season dump. It was certainly one of the more creative Network TV comedies to come out in the past few years for sure.

Yeah I'm surprised the viewership stuck with it on network! Then again I have to wonder how many people watched this show live vs TV anywhere apps or Hulu. I've only ever tuned in via Hulu.

Back