November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

Day 26: Black Friday

Colemine Records presents Soul Slabs Vol. 3

E300F05E-412B-46BB-A439-6930142555CB.jpeg

It’s not that I didn’t “want” this, it was more like I didn’t “need” this because I already have most of these 45s (of the ones that’ve come out at least). But since I’m a Colemine completionist now and I hadn’t yet gotten a first-run pressing of one of these comps I went for it, and ultimately I’m glad I did.

Last edited:
Day 27: Small Business Saturday

The Staple Singers
- The Twenty-Fifth Day of December

660BABD7-DC88-4D3F-A880-5448216D5033.jpeg

One of the many records I got from my local shops for RSDBF this year! The shop I got this album from, Freecloud Records, also had their grand re-opening after a year and a half of renovations and my dad & I picked up a few 45s from them too (including an original Canadian pressing of the Teddy Bears’ “To Know Him Is to Love Him”)!

Last edited:
Day 26 - Black Friday
Play an album you have because it was a "good deal" or FOMO and not because you really wanted it.

I wanted to like Stereolab, and that's why I bought a few of their albums and even went to see them live to try, but I just don't. I need to sell these. I'm really not going to make it through one side.

Stereolab - Mars Audiac Quintet

D26C2A6F-44AC-4798-B801-86903FE0AD3E.jpeg

Day 27 - Small Business Saturday
Play the last album you got at a mom and pop store.

Picked this one up nothing else on RSD at 2nd ave in Portland. These Cairo Records compilations are put together really well, and great recordings.

Strange World - Cosmic and Earthly Doo Woo and R and B from America and Jamaica

2CE4A383-A40B-451F-8A49-AD6A865252FE.jpegD0E6D5AF-659F-431D-BC32-02C2CF4A9ABB.jpegE284F914-D1FB-4172-A763-7F7AE2FAB76A.jpeg

Hanukkah - Festival of Lights
Hanukkah means "dedication" in Hebrew. Play an album and dedicate it to someone in your life.

My dad died 33 years ago this month. So he's not in my life, but his records are. He used to play Blackbird on his guitar frequently when I was a kid. I love this album, but don't spin it often because I kinda want to preserve it since it was his. Gonna pick me up a playing copy one day. Anywho this one is dedicated to him and the other dads who have died too young.

IMG_20211128_170846__01.jpg

Day 28
Hanukkah - Festival of Lights
Hanukkah means "dedication" in Hebrew. Play an album and dedicate it to someone in your life.

For my wife Michelle...who had to fly to her former childhood home in Champaign (technically Urbana) and help her mom get moved into an assisted living place after her step-dad passed away - and dealing with all that has to do with cleaning out the house she's moving out of.

So she's been driving I57 from Champaign to Rantoul to Paxton on an almost daily basis the last week....for someone that doesn't do much driving, this is a lot for her.

Unfortunately she says there is not much on the radio in this area with the exception of Country stations.

Various – Buttons: From Champaign To Chicago
Numero Group – NUM044, 2012

Cut by Wes Garland at NRP
Pressed at United

iWSLk7.jpg

YxVveK.jpg

21. World Hello Day
Play the album you would give to someone to introduce them to an artist.

Hello? Is this thing on? Catching up (or ketchupping from what I can tell) from Thanksgiving break.

This was my introduction to the DBT, and one I always recommend as a starting point. Solid balance of songs showcasing the strength of Patterson Hood, Mike Cooley, and Jason Isbell.

Drive~By Truckers ~ The Dirty South

1638204532728.png

21. World Hello Day
Play the album you would give to someone to introduce them to an artist.

Hello? Is this thing on? Catching up (or ketchupping from what I can tell) from Thanksgiving break.

This was my introduction to the DBT, and one I always recommend as a starting point. Solid balance of songs showcasing the strength of Patterson Hood, Mike Cooley, and Jason Isbell.

Drive~By Truckers ~ The Dirty South

View attachment 119506

My introduction too. And it took me a long time to really dig into anything else because this one is so good. But I got there eventually and am so glad for it. Great spin!

23. "The Fields of November"
Play a bluegrass or country album

This could have been my FOMO album for Black Friday Day too, haven't given it too many listens. But I find that I'm really enjoying it this morning while I'm catching up on work.

Sturgill Simpson ~ Cuttin' Grass Vol. 1

1638210986613.png

24 - Blackout Wednesday
Play an album that makes you nostalgic for your high school days.

Being a trombone player in marching band, I listened to an inordinate amount of Oingo Boingo in High School - since they had a horn section. Playing this brings up great memories of going to see Boingo at the Hollywood Palladium with my friends and experiencing my first mosh pit.

Oingo Boingo ~ Good For Your Soul (Rubellan Remaster version)

1638214955251.png

26. Black Friday
Play an album you have because it was a "good deal" or FOMO and not because you really wanted it.

I guess I am going with Sturgill on this one after all, since it's the one that keeps coming to mind.

Ordered this through VMP on a whim when they announced it. Still hasn't clicked for me besides "Sing Along", but the artwork and 'blood splatter' variant are enough to keep me from selling it.

Sturgill Simpson ~ Sound & Fury

1638222221788.png

Cyber Monday
Play an album that has a theme of the advance of technology, computers, and the like.

Aaron Lee Tasjan - Tasjan Tasjan Tasjan
featuring Computer of Love

Some advanced technology
Is eating through my brain
Got wires crossed, it bothers me
To feel this artificial pain

My little avatar
I'll never know who you really are
Digital clouds and guiding stars
On the computer of love

May the guitar rest in peace
Before it's dead once more
Why don't white men (missing)
Whenever they get bored

Hey ladies, from the late 80s
Staring back at me
Such beauties on my screen
Fake friends tweeting 2 cеnts
Just to mess with me
Such dangers on my screen

20211129_173200.jpg

27 - Small Business Saturday
Play the last album you got at a mom and pop store.

Got a few Black Friday RSD releases coming, but those were all ordered online. Last album I bought locally was this exceptional soundtrack from my local shop, Reanimated Records. If you go, tell them Large Marge sent you....

Danny Elfman ~ Pee-Wee's Big Adventure / Back to School Soundtrack

1638228436266.png

Back