November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

Cyber Monday
Play an album that has a theme of the advance of technology, computers, and the like.

Avenged Sevenfold - The Stage

I've got this one on deck next. It was an odd grab for me as I'm not really a fan of the band or their typical style, although this one leans more toward my flavor. I picked it up specifically because of it's theme of AI going astray. For a concept album it's a decent entry into the genre.

IMG_20211129_183714.jpg
IMG_20211129_183729.jpg

Day 28 | Dedication ❤️
This one is dedicated to my dog, who I lost earlier this year. This kind of seems like a weird album to dedicate to a dog, but this was one of my favorite albums from last year. Because of that, it was usually the album playing when we would do his home physical therapy exercises and swimming to help with his spinal & neurological disease. It made it hard to listen to this album for a while after he died as it reminded me too much of his last months/year. But it's slowly become more of a reminder of how strong he was in his final months and of the great 10 years we spent together.

Day 29
Cyber Monday
Play an album that has a theme of the advance of technology, computers, and the like.

Nothing Is Real And This Is All A Simulation

Chevelle ‎– NIRATIAS
Epic ‎– 19439802441, 2021

Signed cover

Cut by Wes Garland at NRP
Pressed at United

vPzrtd.jpg

vWs2fk.jpg

Day 30
Giving Tuesday
If you can, play a record that you gave a second copy to someone else, if not, play one that was given to you.

I sent @D Jilla an extra copy of this one a few years ago...

Brian Eno - David Byrne – My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts
Sire – SRK 6093, 1981

Cut by Greg Calbi at Sterling
Pressed at Capitol Records Pressing Plant, Winchester

aom2b3.jpg

brdaSq.jpg

28. Hanukkah - Festival of Lights

Taj Mahal - Recycling The Blues & Other Related Stuff
20211130_081412.jpg

This one is dedicated to my stepdad. As we both get older our worldviews drift ever further apart and I no longer really follow sports, so music is our main connection point. He's settled into mostly listening to the blues and has more Taj Mahal records than anyone I know. I only have this one so far, and it was the first record I put on for he and Mom's first visit to our place.

Day 28 - Hanukkah - Festival of Lights
Hanukkah means "dedication" in Hebrew. Play an album and dedicate it to someone in your life.

Mom passed last year, been missing her quite a bit lately. Lots of things popping up that remind me of her. My parents leaned mostly to country music, but she would surprise me occasionally when she heard a song. This record has a couple tracks she spoke up to tell me she liked.

Huey Lewis & The News - Sports

2FE4389D-A4DE-4978-9335-48C85E5598B5.jpeg

28. Hanukkah - Festival of Lights
Hanukkah means "dedication" in Hebrew. Play an album and dedicate it to someone in your life.

Dedicating this to some good friends. My youngest daughter met her best friend on the first day of third grade, they are still best friends in high school today. We've become close with the parents as well through a shared love of music and live shows. This was the first album they introduced us to, and we all just saw them again in concert a month or so ago.

Sylvan Esso ~ Sylvan Esso

1638294532178.png

Day 27 - Small Business Saturday
Play the last album you got at a mom and pop store.

Picked this one up nothing else on RSD at 2nd ave in Portland. These Cairo Records compilations are put together really well, and great recordings.

Strange World - Cosmic and Earthly Doo Woo and R and B from America and Jamaica

View attachment 119434View attachment 119435View attachment 119436
I didn't realize you'd also picked up the same flipbin as I have. Wow. Try harder to be like me, why don't you. 😘

30. Giving Tuesday

Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - I Told You So
20211130_100931.jpg

A Tale of Selfishness and Redemption

When I first heard this album earlier this year I immediately wanted to get a copy for myself and a good friend of mine that is part of our monthly secret Santa-style record club (and is pretty much directly responsible for biting me with the vinyl bug back when we worked together). I called our Local immediately to have them order two copies and they informed me they had one on-hand but it was out-of-print and they couldn't get more at that time. I sat in brief dilemma before deciding to keep the only copy for myself and pick something else up for my friend. Fast forward a few months later when I popped into the local to stumble upon a copy of the Trio's first album, which I instantly snapped up and set aside figuring, despite also wanting that one, I'd for sure give it to my friend and that would kind of make up for not getting him a copy of this one. It was a couple/few more months yet before I got his name again, and when I did I was stoked to not have to do any shopping or anything. Three days before we met up to exchange records I got an email from the Local informing me they'd received a new copy of this album and did I still want it? Heck yes!! I snapped it right up and was finally able to give my friend this album - with the added bonus of netting a copy of their first album in the process!

Thanks @Kris for running a super fun month. I really enjoyed the journey!

Back