November 2021 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread: High wind through the trees, falling November leaves, a weak sun hanging low, summer seems so long ago...

Giving Tuesday
If you can, play a record that you gave a second copy to someone else, if not, play one that was given to you.

King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard - Nonagon Infinity

This was the first Gizz album that I bought. 27 in my collection later, with 3 more on preorder, and two yet to grab, they've made an impact. I liked this album so much that I've bought copies for two friends and one for a former student. And if I remember right one of the demo albums is currently on its way to Canada for our friend @avecigrec!

IMG_20211130_145245.jpg
And many thanks for a great month, @Kris!

30 - Giving Tuesday
If you can, play a record that you gave a second copy to someone else, if not, play one that was given to you.

Started of this months thread with a story about my father for Dia De Los Muertos day, and I'll bookend it with another one. He lived in Cape Cod, about as far from San Diego as you can get in the continental US, and loved garage sales. Shortly before Covid hit, he called me up that he was at a garage sale where there was a bunch of Grateful Dead stuff. He asked the guy if he had any vinyl, and while he didn't have them out for sale, ended up selling my dad ~150 records he had sitting in his basement, including 15 or so Dead albums, for super cheap based on my immediate response that he should get them and I'd bring them out in batches every time I came to visit. Fast forward about 9 months from there with no travel due to covid, and a giant package shows up on my porch. He'd crafted a protected box to ship all the records at once, separated into small stacks and lined with padding.

Long story short, that's the story of the gift of this fantastic cut of From the Mars Hotel, which I also reciprocated by giving away my Rhino reissue of to a friend who was just getting into the Dead.

Thanks for the excellent month @Kris !

Grateful Dead ~ From the Mars Hotel (Original Master Recording)

1638304232309.png

Last edited:
28. Hanukkah - Festival of Lights
Hanukkah means "dedication" in Hebrew. Play an album and dedicate it to someone in your life.

Death Cab for Cutie - Thank You For Today

This one is for my wife... one of the first times we went out was to a Death Cab show.

20200826_175617-jpg.63214

Day 26: Black Friday
Play an album you have because it was a "good deal" or FOMO and not because you really wanted it.

Mike Cooley, Patterson Hood, & Jason Isbell - Live At Shoals Theatre
18B9FDBF-B781-4EC5-8D45-C96E3BE3A794.jpeg

I hadn’t ever heard this album prior to purchasing it but a 4xLP Boxset from the some of the creative minds behind some of The Drive-By Truckers best albums for $16 was too good of a deal to pass up. Glad I pulled the trigger because it’s a pretty fun album too.

Day 27: Small Business Saturday
Play the last album you got at a mom and pop store.

Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue

Purchased from local record store, Hi-Voltage Records, this past Black Friday.
Excellent album - and I have to commend Hi-Voltage on their customer service. I ordered the Thundercat Black Friday RSD release from them on Saturday, and it arrived today with no shipping costs. Will definitely be ordering from them again.

Day 30: Giving Tuesday

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
187CEE84-58A9-4025-BA85-2FEF15053C4F.jpeg
I’ve given away one copy as a Secret Santa gift and another copy as a PIF because I was able to obtain this RTI pressed, Kevin Grey cut version. It’s one of my all time favorites.

I did it!

Thank you @Kris this have been a lot of fun! You’ve been a gracious host!

See you all in December where @debar22 will be steering the sled

Back